Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon or half Ironman next?
Quote | Reply
So I just completed my first half marathon and it was terrible. I'm looking for my next endurance challenge, what do you guys think would be better for me next endurance event? A little background about me, I have literally zero endurance training, I wrestled, played football and power lifted when I was younger. I started my endurance training a little under a year ago barely able to run a mile. I'm at about 224 weight Wise and gradually dropping as I bump my endurance training. I completed my first 10k in July, Sprint triathlon in August, 10 mile run in October and half marathon on Thanksgiving.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the experience was not good, why would you want to do a longer event?
I would suggest trying to improve on your 10k time or half marathon. The key to getting better and not burning out is to try to improve and not dislike what you are doing. Once you improve and are happy with an event, then try to increase the distance.
I started the sport in 2003 with a huge endurance background.... took over seven years until I did my first full distance race and loved every step of the process. I’ve also remained injury free.
Now in the past nine years I’ve gone from age group to pro and have raced 25+ full distance ironmans and at least as many half’s. I attribute success, durability, and ability to race a lot to taking my time and getting better at what I have done before taking another step.
Longer is NOT better! Faster is better.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stick to half marathon. A marathon or a HI it’s not something a little bit longer than a half marathon or sprint tri, they are completely different beasts.

Respect the sport and respect the distance, or it will bite you in the ass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant it was awful in a good way. I went out and "raced" it for myself and it was pretty painful. I enjoyed the experience, but it hurt a lot in a good way. I'll def continue to do the half marathon distance, I moreso meant what should my next major Target be, the marathon or half Ironman.
colinlaughery wrote:
I would suggest trying to improve on your 10k time or half marathon. The key to getting better and not burning out is to try to improve and not dislike what you are doing. Once you improve and are happy with an event, then try to increase the distance.
I started the sport in 2003 with a huge endurance background.... took over seven years until I did my first full distance race and loved every step of the process. I’ve also remained injury free.
Now in the past nine years I’ve gone from age group to pro and have raced 25+ full distance ironmans and at least as many half’s. I attribute success, durability, and ability to race a lot to taking my time and getting better at what I have done before taking another step.
Longer is NOT better! Faster is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What excites you? I built up to a Marathon and hated it so bad I didn't run for over a year. Then I went into Triathlon and it took 3 years to do a full because I had no interest in suffering that bad. That being said, I understand you need something to keep you excited and motivated but you need to decide that. So what excites you?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both ideas really excite me. I think the marathon may be more practical just from a training perspective. I just got promoted at work so I'm here a bit more than I used to be unfortunately. The half Ironman I'd be targeting would be almost 10 months away so I still have plenty of time to make my mind up.
timr wrote:
What excites you? I built up to a Marathon and hated it so bad I didn't run for over a year. Then I went into Triathlon and it took 3 years to do a full because I had no interest in suffering that bad. That being said, I understand you need something to keep you excited and motivated but you need to decide that. So what excites you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Marathon is easier to manage. If you just got promoted then I would say a Marathon. Training 3 different sports will take your mind off work during the day too often. Running can be a release before work or a release after work or sometimes both. It's more simple.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
x2

Longer is NOT better! Faster is better. x2.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 30, 19 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should work on getting faster and better at the half marathon distance especially if you are going to be having extra stress at work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a 70.3 next over a marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you ?
What was your time for Half Marathon ?

Half IM is longer (in time) but easier on the tendon / skeleton
Marathon is shorter (in time), but the amount of running necessary could probably destroy your knees, ankles, ...

So :
1) Work on endurance (with objective to go 10k or half marathon, pretty much same training)
2) then, if you have time to train more, go 70.3. It will greatly increase your endurance, and prepare your chassis for marathon
3) when you can handle 10h sports/week for 2 years, and run half marathon regularly, you can increase again run training to aim for Marathon
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [EDV11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDV11 wrote:
Stick to half marathon. A marathon or a HI it’s not something a little bit longer than a half marathon or sprint tri, they are completely different beasts.

Respect the sport and respect the distance, or it will bite you in the ass

^WHS

A half marathon should be very doable. It's a fun distance. If it's killing you then spend a bit of time there getting good at it. If you're carrying excess weight then lose it. Your skeleton is the same size as a 75kg guy. You put the weight on, now you take it off again. You'll find every aspect of your life to be much better and a lot easier....
Last edited by: RCCo: Dec 1, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not both?

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed something, but why not make an Olympic triathlon your next goal? Once you do an Olympic distance a few times a half IM isn't far off. Then once you've done a half, you're only one hard month of training (plus a taper month) away from a full IM. But to go from only 1 sprint and 1 half marathon to a half IM is going to be not so good for your body. If your goal is to go long, just focus on building a solid base. There is no shortcuts, but you probably already know that.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [KRadzi634] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably didn't include enough information in my original post. I'll def do at least one Olympic race next year just for the heck of it. For me though, the Olympic distance is just a stepping stone. The initial goal this year was to do a 10k, my brother talked me into a 10 miler and half so the half became the end goal. I'm looking for my next end goal if that makes any sense.
KRadzi634 wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but why not make an Olympic triathlon your next goal? Once you do an Olympic distance a few times a half IM isn't far off. Then once you've done a half, you're only one hard month of training (plus a taper month) away from a full IM. But to go from only 1 sprint and 1 half marathon to a half IM is going to be not so good for your body. If your goal is to go long, just focus on building a solid base. There is no shortcuts, but you probably already know that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
I probably didn't include enough information in my original post. I'll def do at least one Olympic race next year just for the heck of it. For me though, the Olympic distance is just a stepping stone. The initial goal this year was to do a 10k, my brother talked me into a 10 miler and half so the half became the end goal. I'm looking for my next end goal if that makes any sense.
KRadzi634 wrote:

Those are good goals! Ambitious goals, but good goals. My advise is to start training now for an April marathon, then take a month off running, but swim the first week, and start biking the next month. Then get on a real half IM training plan. Shoot for a June/July Olympic, and a half IM at the end of the summer...

BE AWARE, there is a HUGE difference between a sprint and an Olympic, and unless you can race hard an entire Olympic, a half IM will give you fits. Also BE Aware, that there is a huge difference between a marathon and an Olympic distance triathlon. I ran my first marathon at about 9 minute pace. Then figured I'd have no problem with the Olympic a month later. I didn't really train much other than running like 20-25 miles a week. By the time I got to the run of the Olympic I was struggling. Running like 11 minute pace... Granted, it was 94 degrees that day... But still. The point is, RESPECT the distance. You're attempting some pretty difficult stuff. Good for you and Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, congrats on working up to, and completing your first half marathon! Some people that have been in endurance sports for quite some time forget that people all have to start somewhere. That is a great achievement. Good luck in the future with continued fitness improvement, and weight loss!

All that being said, I see no problems with running a marathon, and that is what I would target. The increased running volume will be great for your weight loss and aerobic efficiency. But I also wouldn't be scared of hoping on a bike to crosstrain. Again, good luck with your goals!

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon or half Ironman next? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words. Biking is actually what got me into endurance sports. I'd been bike commuting to work every day about twenty five miles and was really enjoying it. I got it in my head one day that I was going to ride the whole silver comet. I rode my single speed bike to Alabama and back in 9 hours for a total of 126 miles. I'm no stranger to pushing myself, I like to shoot for the stars lol.
Masnart wrote:
First off, congrats on working up to, and completing your first half marathon! Some people that have been in endurance sports for quite some time forget that people all have to start somewhere. That is a great achievement. Good luck in the future with continued fitness improvement, and weight loss!

All that being said, I see no problems with running a marathon, and that is what I would target. The increased running volume will be great for your weight loss and aerobic efficiency. But I also wouldn't be scared of hoping on a bike to crosstrain. Again, good luck with your goals!
Quote Reply