Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!)
Quote | Reply
Discuss

Quote Reply
Re: Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not gonna work because when people shop they want instant gratification. Which means one day delivery on Amazon or two day delivery at the most. In this case when you're ordering the product it's yet to be produced.... and unlike how they may present it there's a manual labor process for mounting straps, packaging, etc... and then what about returns? All sales are final since it's custom? I think the business model doesn't work in today's day and age.
Quote Reply
Re: Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do they meet safety testing? I’ve thought about expanding my custom 3D printing capabilities but haven’t thought about how to tackle that aspect. Trinkets that break and suck no biggie. Things that break and break you... just curious how any of this works with custom one off production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool. If they expanded to US bike shops and brought the price down to the 150 range, I would probably buy one. Otherwise, for 100-150 one can buy a pretty top-notch helmet from Kask, POC, Giro, etc that is pretty adjustable.
Quote Reply
Re: Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!) [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me, this would be huge for TT helmets. Maybe custom to the position.
Quote Reply
Re: Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my thought as well. Custom fit to the rider = optimal frontal area and minimum weight. If you had a scan of the rider perhaps you could do iterative design within certain dimensional limits (similar to what Venn has done with their CFD).
Quote Reply
Re: Hexr Custom 3D Printed Aero Road Helmet (nifty!) [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
How do they meet safety testing? I’ve thought about expanding my custom 3D printing capabilities but haven’t thought about how to tackle that aspect. Trinkets that break and suck no biggie. Things that break and break you... just curious how any of this works with custom one off production.

Great question re safety because my understanding has always been that each size has to undergo testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah and if I said something along the lines of "in this manner" then I could easily see that being "made of foam and carbon" and not really meeting the intent of the safety standard.

I wonder how the arm cups are being tested as well. Is it just common industry practice that 5mm of solid Carbon is good? Or whatever it is there? Same thing with the custom frame and shoes guys I guess as well.
Quote Reply