Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRAM 12spd 1x crankset with shimano rear, possible?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I currently have a r8000 11 speed shimano ultegra di2 on my bike. I’m interested in getting a SRAM red axs 1x aero chainring for its integrated power meter and possibly for a future 12 speed upgrade.
Anybody know will this chainring work with a 11 speed cassette and rear derailleur? If yes, what chain to use, shimano chain? 3rd party chain?
Last edited by: mft1997: Nov 29, 19 18:15
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 12spd 1x crankset with shimano rear, possible? [mft1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're unlikely to be able to make that work with the 12spd AXS chainring. You'll have to use an 11speed cassette and chain and that 11spd chain will not get along with the AXS chainring.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 12spd 1x crankset with shimano rear, possible? [mft1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I was going to use the AXS chainset with 11 speed Di2 at the back and an 11 speed Shimano chain.

No reason at all why it wouldn't work - 11 and 12 speeds chains have the same internal width.

Pat.
Last edited by: Avoneer: Nov 29, 19 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 12spd 1x crankset with shimano rear, possible? [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are more dimensions to a chain than internal width. And some of them are not the same
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 12spd 1x crankset with shimano rear, possible? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
There are more dimensions to a chain than internal width. And some of them are not the same

Yeah, it's my understanding that the new AXS stuff does not play well with 11sp chains.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I just did some research on this, and it might actually work. Sram says 1x AXS chainring is compatible with Eagle chain. Eagle chain is sram's mtb 12 speed chain and many folks has confirmed it's compatible with the 11 speed sram/shimano mtb/road system. I would avoid the new 12 speed red flat top chain since the flat top might not work with the rear derailleur upper pulley.

Also park tool has this new chain whip that work with 5 speed to 12 speed. 12 speed chain just has thinner side wall, since the chainring will only see the inside part of the chain, this should not make a difference.

I'm gonna place the order, and let you know if it work or not.

Quote Reply