Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me decide on a new road/tri bike!
Quote | Reply
Gents,

Help me make a good choice on this matter.
My old bike broke. I need to purchase a new bike but i can not afford 2 bikes at the moment. So i need to buy a road bike and use aero bars and redshift dual position seatpost that i already have or figure out some other option. I am looking to purchase a new bike as used market here where i live is very limited for me.
My riding is mostly on the trainer with one longer ride on a weekend in a range of 60-70 km. Racing wise i plan to do only GFNY and 70.3 in next few years with maybe some Olympic and sprint tri here and there.
My budget is around 4-5k!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [robbyzg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are racing triathlon, ride mostly on the trainer but ride long on the weekends I'd get a tri bike
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do fondos that are in the area and they dont allow tri bikes so thats the reason i need a road bike that will be the best option to adapt with bars etc. to tri.!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $5k you could buy a Cervelo P Series with 105 and have enough left over to buy a decent aluminum road bike. Or there are plenty of good aero road bike options in that range.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d budget 3500-4000 tri bike 1000-1500 road bike. My training is similar to your routine and I don’t need a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could probably get the following for around 5k:
CAAD 12 105 bike
P2 105 bike
Used race wheels
Power meter

That would be far more sensible than a mid-range road bike with clip-ons.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, you didn't say that in your original post
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that i did. If you take a closer look you will notice that i said that i plan to race GFNY! Anyhow no harm done, thank you for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently you did, I stand corrected. Perhaps I should have known that GFNY was.

At least this bumps your thread up to the top for you.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 28, 19 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Cervelo R2 and a used Cervelo P2. Total cost in is still well under your budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a doubt, the Kestrel Talon
https://www.kestrelbicycles.com/...on-x-shimano-ultegra

Reversible seat post and get some clip ons. This was the original dual-purpose bike that still rocks.

An alternate, using your Speedshift seatpost (which I think is awesome btw) is a used Cervelo R3. Not the most aero frame but it is a fantastic road bike.
You may need to get a seatpost shim (older R3's had a 32.4mm diameter seatpost; newer ones are 27.2).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put this on my Argon: light, stackable and no one can tell you actually own a tri bike once aerobars are removed.

https://www.bike24.com/p2280636.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike definitely. My coach recently had a potential athlete ask if she should hire a coach or buy a tri bike and her answer was without a doubt get a tri bike. Note she makes a living coach so to recommend not using a coach and getting a bike says something. You'll never be as fast on a road bike as a tri bike and your hamstrings will thank you in the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [Hornbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can agree with that as the ultimate solution if you are doing tris only, but my position is a bit different. I am doing cycling races only and from this year only up to 70.3 tris.I am leaning to get 2 cheaper bikes at the moment for my budget if i will be able to find them on the market where i am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on a road bike with clip-on aerobars for my first 5 years of triathlon. I just removed the aerobars for road racing, century rides etc. I had a FF seatpost and ended up just leaving it on for road racing. That Vision Metron setup would work well for you.

Bikesdirect had a sale on Kestrel Talon-X bikes earlier this year and I jumped on the opportunity. That's a great bike and it has a reversible seatpost. the Vision Metron setup could work well with a bike like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me decide on a new road/tri bike! [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not something like a Felt AR series and add aero bars?
Quote Reply