Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website?
Quote | Reply
Anyone who tries to use their new site for more than a few minutes will encounter multiple errors. My question is, "who do I contact when I discover these errors?" As is often the case, I don't know what was broken about the former site, but now that we're stuck with their new site, it would be nice if it had at least the same level of functionality as the last site. I searched the new site for some sort of "contact us" function, and I don't see one. Really what I'd love is a webmaster, but I'll settle for someone (anyone) at Ironman who can at least get hold of the webmaster to begin reporting the errors. Anyone have any contacts?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snail mail to: IRONMAN World Headquarters
3407 West Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Suite #100
Tampa, Florida
United States of America
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are logged in you can open support tickets from your profile. Good luck though - they seem to think the new website is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like it was a big success just like when USA swimming updated their site and it totally sucked and you couldn't find anything anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last think you want from a bunch of triathletes is feedback, I wouldn't put up a contact form either.

"My finisher medal had a scratch on it! I want a refund!"
"My watch said the marathon was 26.3 miles. The course should be accurate, I missed my PB by an hour because of this"
"Mike Reilly didn't say YOU ARE AN IRONMAN when I crossed the finish line. You suck!"
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, come on! They save all those complaints for Slowtwitch. I doubt they actually whine to Ironman ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their store shows item(hoodie) available but if you add one to shopping cart, it says invalid item. I sent them an email with a screen shot but it’s not fixed. I can tell they don’t give a shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had great response from them!
I also have had zero response! I guess it depends on the question.
I do not like the new site. I do not like that you can not go directly to a specific race.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When any company doesn’t fix issues with shopping cart that generates profit, I consider it as a shitty company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, most web designers are acutely aware of everything that's wrong. It's usually a resources and prioritization challenge for actually fixing it. Which is not to say you shouldn't let them know, but I've been in their shoes before, and definitely knew how much was wrong.

The pain point for me is all the broken google links. Oof

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me two weeks of emails, 3 separate tickets on their website through their new support portal, and I still had to reopen all three of those tickets when they closed them prematurely. Still waiting to see if my transfer request actually comes through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The preferred method for communicating with Ironman Corp. is to wait for the moon to come out, tilt your head back and howl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like the redesign went roughly like:

"We went out and searched for the best web development company money could buy! Unfortunately, they weren't available. So we got Joe instead. His experiance includes administering a Geocities site for a small dog kennel."

Seriously, it's nuts. I was trying to find results on Monday for IM Cozumel - and after 10 mins I gave up. Everything just kept taking me back to the home page. Perhaps there's some weird geolocalization issues failing because I'm not in the US. Eventually I just sent a note to the person saying 'Hope you finished, sorry I can't look you up!'

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was searching for Kona Qualif / 70.3 Qualify list for Pro. Basic stuff, I think.

Went through main bar menu.... can't find
Went through bottom of page "Site Map"... can't find
Went through top right "Menu" sign.... can find, at last.... in the Pro section, but with this route it show a different content than from other routes ... wtf...

Basic content is hidden, going different route something different disappear, then re-appear.....

The basic map of the site is all fucked up....

It is an hommage to Kafka ?
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
For what it's worth, most web designers are acutely aware of everything that's wrong. It's usually a resources and prioritization challenge for actually fixing it. Which is not to say you shouldn't let them know, but I've been in their shoes before, and definitely knew how much was wrong.

The pain point for me is all the broken google links. Oof

Yeah. I don’t think someone input the redirects correctly because even a bunch of the old branded domain ones aren’t working. That...hurts. A lot.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(this rant may belongs in a different forum)
Perhaps not obvious if this is not your profession, but the tragedy of software engineering is that it is super easy to write shitty code quickly/cheaply with very little knowledge/experience. It takes many years of experience and the right mindset to be able to write good code. And so very often companies that optimize for low cost/time to market get something out and then it all just crumbles. To add insult to injury, it is much harder to stabilize/fix such shitty code.
I don't know anything about the people that built the site, but the level of complexity of it is high enough that if you don't invest a lot of time/money in real professionals you will get terrible results. My guess is it will take a very long time to get this to a reasonable state
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, the site is just crap. I was willing to give it a chance after I realized all the google links were broken, because *maybe* it had other redeeming qualities, but no. It's just crap.

First, they completely lost all their google page ranking. If you google ironman mont Tremblant, there is one eu.ironman.com link on the first page (which of course now redirects to the home page), and that is *it.* Yes, they will re-rank shortly, but *why*? I wouldn't build a dry cleaner's website without even attempting to redirect their links. Idiots.

Second, the site uses ridiculous amounts of resources on page load. My 6-fucking-processor MacBook Pro maxes out its CPU when loading the page. Or more like loads half the page, because it *hasn't even lazy loaded all the content yet*. All that for one video?

Third, there are so many glitches with rendering that I don't even know where to get started.

Last (for now), why the hell are links redirecting through the SportsEngine website? Do these guys have anything to do with it?

I don't know why I'm wasting energy getting worked up about this. Perhaps because someone else got to build a new site for Ironman and I'm stuck building sites for dry cleaners? :) Just kidding, but seriously... the new site sucks so bad.

Quote | Reply
I would hazard a guess and say Ironman directly....but I'm not good with technology so take that with a grain of salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
I don't know why I'm wasting energy getting worked up about this. Perhaps because someone else got to build a new site for Ironman and I'm stuck building sites for dry cleaners? :) Just kidding, but seriously... the new site sucks so bad.

I think I might relate to being agitated about it. Probably it's just because somebody is being sloppy and disrespectful to the thing we love. :)

I'm kinda building sites for Ironmans of the world. Well, to be precise I belong to a team of couple of hundreds of people that's building large web apps for Fortune500 companies.

I can totally see many things that went wrong during a multi-month period of planning and executing a project like this.
  • Yes, they've selected a cheap agency: the design and development is sloppy in places.
  • There are holes in requirements: 'Coming soon' button was clearly forgotten during user journey planning and was added in the last moment. It doesn't go to the right place.
  • Integration with Active is not flushed out completely, site doesn't know which tier is sold out, they probably are updating it manually when they have time
  • They still haven't figured out how to separate user flow for customers who just finished a certain race from those who are registering for the new year.
  • I can continue

All of it comes from the lack of proper investment, of course, as many pointed out. They should have spend resources on proper project and product management.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is: it's not worth reporting small issues with the final product to them. They know all of those issues already. Fixing small things will most probably break other small things in a different place.

The problem is that they need to get to a drawing board again and properly understand how they're going to achieve the goals with their website. Then create requirements. Then re-design UX. Then bring the web agency again fix UI.
I'm not saying they should re-do the website again from scratch. There are many things that kinda work. They could work with what they have and improve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH BOY, you are right. Just went to the new site. I loved being able to see the map of the races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
I feel like the redesign went roughly like:

"We went out and searched for the best web development company money could buy! Unfortunately, they weren't available. So we got Joe instead. His experiance includes administering a Geocities site for a small dog kennel."

Seriously, it's nuts. I was trying to find results on Monday for IM Cozumel - and after 10 mins I gave up. Everything just kept taking me back to the home page. Perhaps there's some weird geolocalization issues failing because I'm not in the US. Eventually I just sent a note to the person saying 'Hope you finished, sorry I can't look you up!'

The new website sucks rocks, and it now takes several more steps to find results. https://www.ironman.com/im-cozumel-results
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
When any company doesn’t fix issues with shopping cart that generates profit, I consider it as a shitty company.

just look at their stock price history
Quote Reply
Re: Who Do I Contact About Errors on the New Ironman Website? [geodee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree the new site is rubbish, why did they mess with the old site and can they turn that back on please.
Quote Reply