Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon Competing Advice & Information....This is Meant to be Fun!!
Quote | Reply
I heard a radio segment recently doing something similar to the below on the topic of football and it got me thinking about triathlon and all the competing advice/inforamtion we hear. I, for one, am so twisted on some of these topics, particularly as it relates to training, that I don't know what to think anymore....

Please don't take this too seriously....this is meant to be fun!! But, I have actually heard all of the below competing adviceinformation....What else do you have to add to the list???

You must get a fit first....a good fitter can make any modern bike work for you
Buy a new bike.....upgrade old bike
Buy a Rim brake....buy a disc brake
Electronic shifting is the best.....mechanical is the way to go
Bike brands need to offer integrated storage solutions....after market products are just fine
It's all about bike...it's all about run....you can lose the race in the swim
You must swim 6 days per week....you must bike 6 days per week....you must run 6 days per week
You must sleep 9+hours/day....you must maximize your workout time/work time/family time
It's all about w/kg....it's all about w/cda
You should maximize aeroness of your bike equipment.....the athlete's engine is all that matters
You must get low to be aero....don't get too low or you won't be aero
There are basic rules to follow to be aero.....everything is individual when it comes to being aero
Lifting is essential.....lifting is a waste of time
You have to stretch to avoid injury.....stretching leads to greater risk of injury
You should only do slow, easy, conversational runs.....slow runs only teach you to go slow
Swim training is all about technique....swim training is all about speed
You must practice open water swims to be fast in open water triathlons.....if you are fast in the pool, you will be fast in open water
Bricks are essential to triathlon success.....bricks should be avoided
DA/Red are a waste of money....I ride DA/Red
You should buy the lighest possible bike.....aeroness rules the day and bike weight doesn't matter
A powermeter is the best purchase I ever made....avoid technology, it’s overrated and unecessary
Ride outside and enjoy the outdoors....riding outside is a death trap
Make sure you don’t overtrain and give your body recdover time.....there is no need for days off
Hiring a coach is the best advice/decision I made....coaches are a waste of money/you can self-coach
Minimalist shoes are fast and padded shoes are unecessary....modern, padded shoes are the best
Ironman is evil.....I can't wait to get my IM Legacy slot
You should do a long build phase on the bike....You should primarily do threshhold work to increase FTP
You should race by feel....you should pace using a powermeter/watch
Triathlons need to be safer....making triathlons safer is leading to "wussification" of our sport
1x setup....2x set up
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 26, 19 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Competing Advice & Information....This is Meant to be Fun!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed the most obvious one.

Your seat is too low/your seat is too high.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Competing Advice & Information....This is Meant to be Fun!! [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it is always too high on here!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Competing Advice & Information....This is Meant to be Fun!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Less is more... More is more
Duathlon rules!... Duathlon sucks!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will in whichever one you choose:

"I can't" "I can tri"

I've never done a triathlon before… There's always a first time

I have no opportunity to race… I'll create the opportunity for me to finish a tri

My support group won't go for it… I"ll include my support group to make it our race

My family won't buy into a race plan… I told them why doing the triathlon is important

There's too many different sports… I'll split up the race legs into childhood sports

I never swam in open water before… I'll do a weekend at a coastline or lake to practice

I don't know how to workout… I'll learn workouts of variety, discipline, & discovery

I don't have enough time to train… I'll find time for learning to tri in my schedule

Workouts last too long… When I'm learning, the workouts go quick

It's a time sucking hobby… I will be an effective triathlete and find the time

I don’t have the proper equipment… I'll figure out what I need to race and how to get it

The area where I live is bad for training… I'll figure out how to simulate race conditions

I will never finish… I'll give it a tri

I already tried and failed… I'll give my goal another tri

I tried a half-full tri distance and failed… I learned how to be successful for a full IM

The race is the wrong distance… This is the perfect challenge for me

There's no way I'll finish … I believe I will finish as Anything is Possible

The races are too expensive… I found out how to fit the costs into my budget

Racing is a waste of money… Racing is an investment realizing my capabilities

I'll injure myself… I'll train with a smart plan to ensure safe body

I'm overweight… I'll train to be a lean, mean, triing machine

I don't have any idea how to race… I'll do shorter races to learn various race tactics

I don't have the expertise… I'll find a tri coach

I can't compete… If I learn how, I will compete

I'll never qualify… I will qualify if I tri

I have to commit too far in advance… My lead time aligns with my training program

My family won't watch an all day race… We decided to make the race trip a racecation

I've got other things to do on race day… This Ironman is what I'm doing today, all day

It's too late to race in my life… I'm ready to learn and tri something new

It's easier to be a spectator… I choose to be a competitor on race day

I can't just do it… I can accomplished my goal if I tri

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/coaching-style

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My joint (knee, hip, etc.) is damaged from too much running...running helps maintain joint health
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 26, 19 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
You must swim 6 days per week....you must bike 6 days per week....you must run 6 days per week ....

This is the one that gets me. I get that consistency is king, but damn...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And since I posted this, I have probably seen a half dozen of these same topics in the forum. Keep it up ST!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss the
"Your tire pressure is too low... your tire pressure is too high"?

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Competing Advice & Information....This is Meant to be Fun!! [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one!
Quote Reply