Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMAZ: observations/reflections [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
conditions - about as good as you can get for an ironman as far as temperature goes.

bike - pretty boring - drafting was not as bad as i expected it to be and i did see people in the penalty tent each lap, last couple km's each lap were ridiculous (dangerous and rough)

i was a little slower than i thought on the bike, i am guessing due to the wind - i stayed aero almost the entire time.

Swim - water temp was ok - i wore a neoprene cap under my ironman cap - i am guessing most people thought it was slow?

run out of swim to T1 was long and cold ,and although i did not love it, everybody had to do it so whatever...

the marathon always hurts but this was fine. I liked the broken up nature of it as it gave me goals - great volunteers at the aid stations.

My family and i got very cold waiting to get bike and gear after race. Brrrr, In retrospect i would have left some warm cloths with family to hold

Water was gross - not sure how clean that was

The course seemed to measured correctly at least for the bike and run - (I did not have a watch on for the swim so cant comment there but the bike and run seemed to match up at the exact correct distances)

good for spectators and convenient for hotels and food

I have done 10+ IM's but this was first at Arizona - i likely will not do this one again as there are some other race venues that i think are much more interesting (Tremblant, penticton, etc)

This would be a very good location for a first ironman
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ: observations/reflections [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first IM and I loved every second of it. Missed my time goal of 14:00 by 37 minutes, but flatted, so... next time...

The cold water didn't bother me; I used booties and a neoprene cap under my race cap and was fine. Stripped off wetsuit with strippers, ran to the tent bare chest and in my wet bike shorts, was not cold. For some reason, the long swim exit didn't bother me too much. But I'm old and MOP, so whatever.

Lots of people complaining the swim was slow, which I thought as well. Maybe it was the five turns? Or the weird meandering course?

Water was gross. On the run, I looked down at the water and saw a huge dead fish floating near the edge.

Started the bike with arm warmers and a jacket. I thought it was cold, especially with cloud cover. Shed the jacket at the end of lap 2, left the arm warmers on.

Flatted at mile 59, probably the damn goat head thorns. Sag wagon stopped and radioed for tech support, but reply back was that there were too many flats and I shouldn't expect help for a long time. Fixed it myself, but it took a while (long story). When I picked my bike up after, tire was flat again.

By the time I started the third lap, it was significantly more lonely out there. Just me, the BOPers, and everyone else who had flatted.

The run was great. Between the volunteers and spectators, I couldn't ask for anything better. I walked the aid stations and ran between and finished strong.

Agree with whoever said it was cold after. I had a violent shivering attack and was lucky to have a puffy jacket in my post-race kit sherpa'ed by wife.

The parking structure is amazing, except at 4:45 a.m. trying to get in. Ended up parking in a flat lot and walking, but then my wife moved the car later and it was perfect.

I know this is my first IM, but I don't love the transition bags. I prefer to have all my crap at my bike location a la 70.3.

The weather was just about perfect, despite the cold water and post-race shivers.

One last recognition for the volunteers - they were amazing!

Overall, I loved the entire experience more than I thought I would. So which IM should be my second.... hmmmm...
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ: observations/reflections [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will,
I use these earplugs.
https://www.macksearplugs.com/...t-silicone-earplugs/

They are available on many different sites. I shape them in a conical shape, and then mash into my ear. Definitely helps with cold water!

Clyde
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ: observations/reflections [clydecat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Many thanks for the link.

Will
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ: observations/reflections [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my 2nd Ironman (15:30) with the first being Santa Rosa 2018 (16:10).

+1 on double-cap and silicone ear plugs. PR'd the swim by 3 minutes (I'm a poor swimmer, so it was still slow), but swallowed water several times in the chop.

Lost EASILY 15 minutes in T1 just shivering. Thankfully a volunteer saw my struggle and gave me hot chicken broth and helped me put on my bike shoes and helmet. I have a profound love for this person.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face, right? I had a plan for the bike. Pace goal for both out and back. Based on my training, I should have gone about 6 hours. No fireball, but solid (for me). Within the first 10 miles of the bike I developed abdominal cramps. Bad. Got really concerned. Do I keep my fuel / hydration plan and risk making it worse, or do I back off in hopes that the cramping will go away. I decided to stick with the fuel / hydration plan. It got worse. At bike special needs (2nd lap) I was on the side of the road with a volunteer holding my bike, as I was doubled over holding my gut, moaning. A volunteer asked if I wanted medical. I told them "Hell no" knowing I may be pulled from the course. I wasn't sure I could finish though. I pushed on, setting smaller goals. Next aid station. Turn around in town. Next aid station, etc. Finished bike in 6:40. I believe I lost 20-25 minutes due to the stomach cramps.

Started run still with cramps, and the plan to run 4 minutes / walk 1 minute. Cramping was now coming and going, but never fully went away. At about mile 19 I couldn't run anymore. I was so fatigued from fighting off the cramps for the majority of the race, that I was reduced to walking the rest of the way.

I look at the race as "What could have been." Were it not for the stomach cramps I think I would have been sub-15, but we'll never know. I'm know my experience is not unique, and that even the best have had similar issues at some point.

I actually liked the bike course, as I broke it up into six sections.

The run course was the hardest concrete in the history of concrete, but full of energy. I didn't hate it. Just hated how I was feeling.

I do have to say the volunteers were fantastic, and the spectator support was very uplifting.

Shout out to NYPD Triathlon. I wear a Thin Blue Line kit, and as I ran past their cheer area, one of them jogged (trotted?) beside me offering words of encouragement.

"I drank what?!?!" - Socrates
Poor Swimmer. Weak Cyclist. Slow Runner.
TriDot Ambassador / Sacramento Triathlon Club
Quote Reply

Prev Next