Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

S Works Tarmac or Trek Emonda
Quote | Reply
I found a 2017 Sworks Tarmac on Craigslist for $2000. It has ultegra di2 and a quarq power meter. Around 15lbs.
I currently ride a 2018 Trek Emonda SL5. It has 105 and no power meter. Around 18lbs. I bought it for around 2000.

I have been in the market for a power meter for a few months, but stumbled across the Sworks today and I am wondering if that would be a better option, since it is a nicer bike and has a power meter. I figure I could sell the Emonda for around 1400. Do you think for $600 dollars total out of pocket it is a good move? Also, what are your thoughts on buying a bike that is 1 year older than the one I already have?

Thanks
Last edited by: A-No: Nov 22, 19 22:12
Quote Reply
Re: S Works Tarmac or Trek Emonda [A-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I owned the S works tarmac in 2017 and that was an incredibly great bike. I’d be shocked if it weighs 15 pounds, it’s not light. But don’t worry about that.
The only thing I would worry about is, does it have 25,000 miles on it?
For 2k that could be a steal, you just can’t be sure if it’s been ragged or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a steal for Di2 and a power meter. And, the S-Works Tarmac is one of my favorite bikes on the planet. If it is legit, and in good condition, it is a no-brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it stolen or damaged?!

I spent 50% more than that w/o di2 or PM for a new one earlier this summer

If all good, awesome deal. I love my tarmac
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is in good shape and never crashed, I'd say go for it. I owned a Specialized Tarmac with 105s and loved it. TBH, while it was cheaper than my current road bike, I believe that it was faster. I'm still missing it after selling it, and I can only imagine that an S-Works Tarmac with Ultegra Di2 would be better, not even counting the PM.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: S Works Tarmac or Trek Emonda [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tarmac is the better bike.

You won't get $1400 for your emonda, Lucky if you get $1000 but probably $800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an S Works Tarmac and it’s the best road bike I’ve ever owned. I’m very skeptical about the price, and after two attempts to buy mountain bikes of CL that turned out to be frauds, proceed carefully. Deals to good to be true...
Quote Reply
Re: S Works Tarmac or Trek Emonda [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sell tons of bikes on craigslist. Just stop by Mountain View and I'll hook you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have right at 85k miles on my 2010 S-Works Tarmac so, I'm not sure these bikes ever wear out. They are good for the long road. And they are excellent, especially the newer ones. That 2017 might be a bargain and I feel certain you would be happy but, I really like the new one (2018). If you can swing a new one, then that is what I would recommend. I think Specialized pulled themselves over the rock with the 2018 model, in addition you get a good warranty and current build. Its about as close to perfection in a road bike that you will find. Stick 30's on there and it's good for just about any gravel road. Run 23's with deep dish wheels and it need not make any excuses for it's aero performance.

I like the Emonda too but, I still think the current Tarmac is probably the best, or one of the best road bikes on the market. If you are contemplating changing, always consider a new model if you can afford it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To say an S-Works Tarmac is better than an Emonda SL seems like a no-brainer, but not really. A fairer comparison would involve the SLR, not the SL. Then, of course, you have to look at what matters to the individual. In my case, while I can work with the stack/reach and overall geometry of the Tarmac, there are subtle differences that makes the Emonda H2 geometry far preferable to me. Much depends on how you want your bike to fit and your preferences for steering geometry, wheelbase, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: S Works Tarmac or Trek Emonda [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting point about the geometry differences. How does the geometry differ from Emonda to Tarmac?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A-No wrote:
Interesting point about the geometry differences. How does the geometry differ from Emonda to Tarmac?

The Emonda has slightly more trail and slightly longer chainstays, so it will be ever so slightly more stable. The Tarmac has quicker steering, bordering on what some might say is too quick. The Tarmac is slightly lower and longer from a stack/reach perspective, but that can be equalized with spacers and stem length changes, so it’s basically a wash as far as that goes

Personally, I would want a touch more trail than the Emonda has (in a 56, the Tarmac has 5.6cm and the Emonda has 5.8cm of trail. My preference would be 6.0). I like a bike that tends to go straight with minimal steering input, such that it takes more input to turn but it will straighten up by itself. With lower trail, a bike will practically dive into a turn, but you have to consciously get it to straighten up.
Last edited by: Mudge: Nov 24, 19 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the responses everyone. I decided to buy the bike. Picked it up today and was in perfect condition. Guess I got a steal:))))
Quote Reply