Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

On Cloudflow redesign - 200k UPDATE: Switching to Hoka
Quote | Reply
I'm a devout On Running Cloud Flow shoe wearer.

They recently released the redesigned Cloud Flow with "Helion™ superfoam combine[d] with the re-engineered Speedboard™ to turn impact into acceleration."

Anyone have any real world experience on how this new design compares to the original? Are they actual faster?

Is this Helion superfoam their answer to the Nike foam? Anyone have any idea how it compares?

I'm hoping that it's all good news, because I adore the fit of the original Cloudflow, but admit that the Nike Next% has been a siren call because of the promised gains...is this a viable alternative?
Last edited by: Kickr: Apr 10, 20 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only run in mine twice. They do not feel different than the previous model if at all. Only difference for me is stones don't get as stuck in the center area.
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:
I've only run in mine twice. They do not feel different than the previous model if at all. Only difference for me is stones don't get as stuck in the center area.

I'd buy them just for that alone! As much as I love running in my On's, the one thing that always annoys me is the gravel getting stuck.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SSMinnow wrote:

Figured I'd follow up on this as I've been running in the new redesigned Cloudflow shoes for about a month.

I don't like them nearly as much.

I find the shoes way less cushioning and actually find them pretty "dead" feeling. I told my wife the other day that it feels like I'm running with 2x4 offcuts strapped to my feet.

With the reduced cushioning, I actually find the shoe pretty hard on my pretty fragile back - I feel a bit beat up after a longer run.

Oh well...I guess I'm going to be on the lookout for a new unicorn shoe now.
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign - 200k update [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
SSMinnow wrote:

Figured I'd follow up on this as I've been running in the new redesigned Cloudflow shoes for about a month.

I don't like them nearly as much.

I find the shoes way less cushioning and actually find them pretty "dead" feeling. I told my wife the other day that it feels like I'm running with 2x4 offcuts strapped to my feet.

With the reduced cushioning, I actually find the shoe pretty hard on my pretty fragile back - I feel a bit beat up after a longer run.

Oh well...I guess I'm going to be on the lookout for a new unicorn shoe now.

Another follow-up now that I’ve got more than 200kms I’m the shoes. My initial assessment continues to be dead on - the shoes feel dead with little cushioning.

I went ahead and ordered some Hoka One One Rincons tonight because the new CloudFlows just leave me beat up bad.

Only thing I’m wondering is if I should have sprung for the Clifton 6 instead ? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Will post again after I see how the Rincons feel and if I go for the Cliftons in addition or instead.
Last edited by: Kickr: Apr 10, 20 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in cliftons and rincons. Cliftons better for the long and regular slog runs. Rincons very good as well. A bit lighter. If you race in Nike or one of the other carbon shoes and want a protective cush trainer, I would go Clifton all day long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rincon is a nice shoe but it’s definitely not a unicorn. Doesn’t have the amazing squish and response the Clifton has.
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign - 200k update [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
The Rincon is a nice shoe but it’s definitely not a unicorn. Doesn’t have the amazing squish and response the Clifton has.

Agree. The Hoka reps kept talking up the Rincon as the replacement for the Clifton 1... sadly it doesn't quite get the job done (but I will say it is a lot closer than the current Clifton shoes.) So I decided to just stick with the Clifton 1 (which I have 12 pairs of stockpiled :-O ... so hopefully when I run out there will be a new shoe that works as well as well for me.)

Quote | Reply
The Clifton is supposed to be back with the Clifton 6, but I haven’t tried it yet. Was unhappy with the 4 & 5 and have amassed a bunch of nikes that still have life in them. Now they have a 7 coming out in June so I will wait for that so the 6 goes on sale and stock up.
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign - 200k update [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
The Clifton is supposed to be back with the Clifton 6, but I haven’t tried it yet. Was unhappy with the 4 & 5 and have amassed a bunch of nikes that still have life in them. Now they have a 7 coming out in June so I will wait for that so the 6 goes on sale and stock up.

Good to know!

I'm happy to have multiple pairs of shoes since I base replacement on kms so I will get the same amount of use just over a longer period of time rotating shoes.

I'm hoping I like the Rincon enough to warrant giving the Clifton 6 or 7 a shot...I suspect that going from the CloudFlow to a Hoka is going to be a bit of a shock to the system...but if I can get comfortable in this shoe, then going to an even plusher shoe might be the next steps for the long run days.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in! I'll definitely keep everyone posted. I should be getting the Rincon in the mail next week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have OnCloud and bought the Clifton 6 (due to recommendations on here). I have run about 50 miles in it and I just bought another pair. From what I have heard (various people and YouTube reviews) the Rincon is more for tempo runs, long and slow efforts are for the Clifton 6. The 7 is out (or about to be out) and the 6 should be discounted (I bought the 6 at about 30% off). If it continues to go well will stock up.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: On Cloudflow redesign - 200k update [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I have OnCloud and bought the Clifton 6 (due to recommendations on here). I have run about 50 miles in it and I just bought another pair. From what I have heard (various people and YouTube reviews) the Rincon is more for tempo runs, long and slow efforts are for the Clifton 6. The 7 is out (or about to be out) and the 6 should be discounted (I bought the 6 at about 30% off). If it continues to go well will stock up.

This is great to hear!

Quick question - how was the sizing? We’re you able to buy the same size in for your Hokas as your old Cloud?
Last edited by: Kickr: Apr 10, 20 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 46 in cloud and 46 2/3 I'm Hoka. I found the Hoka sizing chart to be accurate (I looked at the cm on my current shoes and then matched it to Hoka).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply