Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Thermal running shirt for cold (20-30°F) [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with a previous poster who mentioned a light weight vest with a mesh back over a regular tech long sleeve shirt, like the normal nike dri-fit long sleeve, or one of the higher end mid-weight shirts, under the vest. I have some nike vest the is 100% polyester front, with mesh back, I have been wearing with a light/medium tech shirt for years that just works great for keeping the core warm by blocking wind and breathing with the mesh back. i personally find UA cold gear a bit too warm until it is below 20* and lower...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a vest? I sweat pretty bad And can’t wear a jacket. I’m soaked.
I wear a simple quarter zip fleece and a thin vest. It just has a thin inner layer. I can unzip it if I get too warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Thermal running shirt for cold (20-30°F) [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried a couple vests, both simple wind shells and insulating fleece styles. Both ended up with the same problem: Very sweaty trunk/core and cold arms. That is why I'm looking for more of a balanced setup with equal insulation on the trunk and arms, or in the case of a top with a zipper, more tight insulation on the arms and more venting for my core.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BudhaSlug,

I also recently purchased the De Soto PolyPro after years of using all of their warm weather gear. I took it out 29ºF with a slight breeze a few weeks ago (before taking a vacation to Florida where I obviously didn't need it.) At first, it felt like I could feel every bit of the cold and wind! But as my body got moving I felt very comfortable at that temperature. As mentioned above, it is possible that if it were relatively windy, you might want to add another layer, but I have not tested that yet.

I know you said it was sold out in Small, but I wanted to let you know that this is an very formfitting garment. If you own any of the De Soto Long Sleeve Skin Cooler tops in small (which I highly recommend), it is basically the same fit except for a thicker material, which can feel restricting at first. Depending on how you prefer your tops to fit, it is possible that a Medium would work for you as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Thermal running shirt for cold (20-30°F) [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for icebreaker, always found their base layers to be extremely versatile for the bike & run. Can easily be combined with additional layers on really cold days.

I was once told that you should always dress for the 2nd mile... You might feel the cold initially but you'll soon warm up
Quote Reply
Re: Thermal running shirt for cold (20-30°F) [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
BudhaSlug,

I also recently purchased the De Soto PolyPro after years of using all of their warm weather gear. I took it out 29ºF with a slight breeze a few weeks ago (before taking a vacation to Florida where I obviously didn't need it.) At first, it felt like I could feel every bit of the cold and wind! But as my body got moving I felt very comfortable at that temperature. As mentioned above, it is possible that if it were relatively windy, you might want to add another layer, but I have not tested that yet.

I know you said it was sold out in Small, but I wanted to let you know that this is an very formfitting garment. If you own any of the De Soto Long Sleeve Skin Cooler tops in small (which I highly recommend), it is basically the same fit except for a thicker material, which can feel restricting at first. Depending on how you prefer your tops to fit, it is possible that a Medium would work for you as well.

I don't own any De Soto tops (currently). According to the size chart, I'm a pretty middle of the road "Small" though at 5'8" and 140lb. I always prefer a more fitted rather than baggy top anyway. Thanks for the feedback on it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next