Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee Cartilage Repair
Quote | Reply
Along with my meniscus I've also got knee cartilage damage in my right knee. Lots of different options and curious if anyone has had theirs treated and what were the outcomes?
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Cartilage Repair [Timk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timk wrote:
Along with my meniscus I've also got knee cartilage damage in my right knee. Lots of different options and curious if anyone has had theirs treated and what were the outcomes?

I'll let you know, say, December 15th. I have a meniscus tear in my knee along with arthritis. They are going to clean up the tear on Dec 5th, but how it feels after largely depends on how bad the arthritis is.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Cartilage Repair [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck and please let me know. What is the expected recovery time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timk wrote:
Good luck and please let me know. What is the expected recovery time?

My Dr said crutches for 3~5 days, walking after that. Able to ride a bike or swim within two weeks, able to run around six weeks. He said 6~8 weeks out if there is still pain in the knee, then it's most likely arthritis, which will have to be addressed another way (cortisone, PRP?, other stuff). He said ultimately the best chances I have to hold off the arthritis pain is to strengthen my legs up to reduce load on the knee. I asked if he has specifics on exercises and he said "we can talk about that after surgery". More on that topic in this thread..

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7090656#p7090656

There's another thread on here within the last few days where people discuss their recovery times. A "lateral meniscus tear" thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both knees cleaned up due to meniscus tears. I was back to running in two weeks. Very easy surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Cartilage Repair [Fast&Crooked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast&Crooked wrote:
I have both knees cleaned up due to meniscus tears. I was back to running in two weeks. Very easy surgery.

That’s what I keep hearing and after new year I’ll have my knee worked on.

Feel like a caged animal not being able to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Cartilage Repair [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your doctor tell you at what stage is your arthritis? I have similar issues with both arthritis and a minor meniscus tear. My orthopedic surgeon recommended against surgery because there is nothing he could do about the arthritis (stage 3), and the meniscus tear is a comparatively minor issue. He didn't, however, stop me from running, just told me to be careful. FYI, I am 58, and have been a runner and cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had similar issues. I let my meniscus tear heal on its own (my knee was pretty f'ed, so I wasn't running anytime soon anyway). I have very little cartilage in both knees and go in 1-2x/year to get them "oiled" up with an Orthovisc or Synvisc solution. This has been a nice bandaid for now. Having a lateral release surgery has been recommended as has some other type of surgery, but I'm holding off until the shots don't work anymore. I also take MSM-Glucosamine-Hyraulanic Acid and turmeric supplements to keep inflammation down.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee Cartilage Repair [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto for turmeric, and there are some absorption issues, so forms that are hydro-soluble will absorb better.
Quote Reply