Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how?
Quote | Reply
I tried Googling "get bike fit certified" and explored some of the options. I just don't know which ones are reputable or not.

Right now, http://www.bikefit.com is at the top of my list. It seems like they have videos that I can learn from. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I'm looking to stay close to my state, California, and not spend $3K to learn a somewhat subjective art like fitting.

Ultimately my goal in doing this is to provide a service in my community since my LBS has a bad reputation for fits.

Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [p3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh... How about FIST? You know, that system invented by the owner of this site (slowman) ?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Workshops/index.html

Looks like the next workshop is late March 2020. The price is $1500.

Most here would agree it's about the best in the biz.

Its even in California.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 20, 19 18:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, just contact Dan.
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'll look into registering for FIST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pretty bad bike fit and dont mind being a 'sample' if that helps
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in germany, "all" reputable bike fitter have physiotherapist background.
Is this the same in the states?

I am just curios :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [Flo3.141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flo3.141 wrote:
in germany, "all" reputable bike fitter have physiotherapist background.
Is this the same in the states?

I am just curios :-)
No, thank goodness. For whatever reason, most fitters I've encountered with a physiotherapist background in the US are the most likely to eschew orthodoxy and create bike fit abominations.

Hopefully German physiotherapist bike fitters don't have the same impulses.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach BikeFit Level 1 and 2, and would be happy to answer any questions you have. BikeFit does have the online course, which makes for a good primer for the in-person course. I think you get a lot better experience with the hands-on course in person. When I teach it, we limit the class to 4 students. We fit each other and bring in locals from the community as needed. It is a very intense 2-day course.

With that said, the FIST workshop includes 1 day of BikeFit, taught by Paul Swift. I think it makes for a lot of bang for the buck - you get 2 days of FIST road, 1 day of BikeFit, and 2 days of FIST triathlon. FIST and BikeFit concepts complement each other nicely. I would definitely recommend looking into the FIST workshop and eventually consider following it up with a standalone 2 day BikeFit Level 1 course. Since you are in CA, that seems to be a pretty reasonable approach.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [Flo3.141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I teach BikeFit and get a lot of PTs, athletic trainers, and others that have some sort of physiology type of background as students. Thinking back, it might be close to half of my students, and when I was a student, I ended up doing the clinical version of the class, so I was taught by a PT with a class full of PTs.

I love the perspective they bring to the fit. I like to think in terms of a "body down" approach to the human athlete - find your optimal place in space and put a bike under it. Of course, there are a lot of factors to what makes a good fit, but I think the physio mentality is generally a useful tool.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just added the march course to the calendar, and it will most likely be the last one for this season, as all the bike shop and fitter types just get too busy after that. You cannot go wrong with the FIST class, two days of road, two days of Tri, and a full day with Paul Swift on shoe pedal interface. If you pay attention and do the hands on work, you can leave here with a good base to start fitting folks. And the extra bonus is you get to stay at my B&B and eat my cooking!! In spite of all the little training everyone tries to fit in between classes and lunchtime, all the campers seem to go home with a couple extra pounds. I keep telling them it is their brains that got heavier with all that new knowledge..

And we just started with a new complete bike solution protocol, and we have added a new instructor, Matt Hill to go with Ian Murray and Dan. I'm pretty confident is saying that you are not going to get 4 more knowledge guys together in one spot, for one week. But don't wait too long, after this fills up, it will be November next year before the next camp..
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(thank you Monty)

Yep, I'm convinced. Also, the course description in Slowtwitch re: FIST education was extremely clear and thorough. I'll be signing up asap.

Thank you all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And we just started with a new complete bike solution protocol, and we have added a new instructor, Matt Hill to go with Ian Murray and Dan. I'm pretty confident is saying that you are not going to get 4 more knowledge guys together in one spot, for one week. But don't wait too long, after this fills up, it will be November next year before the next camp..
Matthew is one of the very best! He can ride, too.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certifications and learning are tip of the iceberg; if you haven't already incorporated as a legal business you should think about this as well. Expenses such as education, tools and equipment do add up. Feel free to pm me or any of us for business questions.

Would politely disagree that 'fitting is a subjective art'; bike fit isn't something you learn in one weekend, or one week, or one year. After the first 300 fits you may consider yourself competent. After the first thousand...you aren't the same fitter you were when you started. It never ends, the learning, the sharing with others. Just spent all day Saturday with Swifty and Travis! So yes for that class, but go in person for the hands on, down deep experience 'live'. Have been double FISTed, so to speak, and should probably go back to Xantusia next year. Industry shows, especially CABDA, will have seminars and casual meetings with Fitters from all over.

Things change over time, new studies, new tools. Plus you get to meet and hang out with really awesome and passionate geeks. Er, I mean, people!

We're having a lovely discussion on our secret FB page about DSS and saddle height just today - from around the world we argue/question/opine on bike fit and how it best serves our clients.

very much of what all of us in the business are trying to do is codify protocols and procedures for consistent outcomes for clients. Dan, Trent, Travis, Paul Swift et al have spent countless years sifting out the silly from the profane, creating repeatable and reliable working systems for the benefit of all athletes.

Yes there are still 'outliers' in regards to consensus, and the market will tolerate that that do (or maybe you will redefine it for your market). Good luck!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been double FISTed, so to speak, and should probably go back to Xantusia next year.//

Yes Anne, it is time for you to come back, get out of the cold and get here for our March Spring!! The new data base is pretty cool to see and navigate, and Matt and Dan have a new found love of all things Gravel, so we talk about that too. And you are absolutely right, the class and a week of learning, are just the beginning. The process is ongoing, evolving, and being added to constantly with new devices to sit on and pedal..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Have been double FISTed, so to speak, and should probably go back to Xantusia next year.//

Yes Anne, it is time for you to come back, get out of the cold and get here for our March Spring!! The new data base is pretty cool to see and navigate, and Matt and Dan have a new found love of all things Gravel, so we talk about that too. And you are absolutely right, the class and a week of learning, are just the beginning. The process is ongoing, evolving, and being added to constantly with new devices to sit on and pedal..

not to mention the detox from being in the middle of nowhere and all the good food ;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: I wanna get Bike Fit certified. But how? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awww man... that's really kind of you, Trent. Means a lot coming from you (and Monty! Thank you too!)

Will do my best to live up to the plaudits. It's an honor to be a part of this program!

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can vouch for the FIST course...gets you thinking for yourself rather than a bunch of angles and telling cyclists their position. A really different experience. Fantastic location,knowledgeable teachers and Monty's cooking...what can I say?:the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
We just added the march course to the calendar, and it will most likely be the last one for this season, as all the bike shop and fitter types just get too busy after that. You cannot go wrong with the FIST class, two days of road, two days of Tri, and a full day with Paul Swift on shoe pedal interface. If you pay attention and do the hands on work, you can leave here with a good base to start fitting folks. And the extra bonus is you get to stay at my B&B and eat my cooking!! In spite of all the little training everyone tries to fit in between classes and lunchtime, all the campers seem to go home with a couple extra pounds. I keep telling them it is their brains that got heavier with all that new knowledge..

"meat candy"
Quote Reply