Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept - Etap control box placement
Quote | Reply
Interested in how people are mounting their etap control boxes on their second gen SCs. I have mine velcroed on top of my stem cover with the wires coming through the Di2 wire holes on the side.

I zip tied them all together and ran the excess down the down tube area but I've been getting pinched wires causing blip failures... so wondering how people are routing theirs, where they're putting their control boxes, etc.

I'd take a pic but I've got it all pulled apart right now... here's a bad pic of the general area.

My general 'next' idea is to have the slack wire pulled into the aero/handlebars and just enough coming through the top of the stem cover to plug into the box. That will keep it from pinching in the top of the stem clamps, etc. There seems to be a little rectangle in the top edge that looks like a cut-out of sorts.

I digress... interested in ideas or how others have it mounted.

Please do post pics of yours if you have one to post!
Last edited by: xeon: Nov 23, 19 4:33
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those excess wires should be in the basebar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I built my last SC for my s/o, I positioned the Blip Box on the underside of the mono extension.

There were two reasons why I did this:
  1. The stem was a Med-Near stem and it was too short for the bulk of the Blip Box and it's wiring
  2. Under the mono extension allowed it to be easily removed and also made it for a clean wiring job.

If you did the same, you would bring the wires up from the base bar through the stem and they'd run on the inside channels of the mono extension. Personally, I think this is the cleanest way to mount the Blip Box for the SRAM eTap unit.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mitch@Trek wrote:
When I built my last SC for my s/o, I positioned the Blip Box on the underside of the mono extension.

1. The stem was a Med-Near stem and it was too short for the bulk of the Blip Box and it's wiring
  2. Under the mono extension allowed it to be easily removed and also made it for a clean wiring job.

If you did the same, you would bring the wires up from the base bar through the stem and they'd run on the inside channels of the mono extension. Personally, I think this is the cleanest way to mount the Blip Box for the SRAM eTap unit.
Appreciate your mount info... can you snap a pic and add to the thread? I think I get what you're saying but a pic would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bontrager carbon bottle cage (BTA) and I have my blip box mounted to the back side of the cage. Blip wires run through the base bar and through the stem under the mono extension then to the box. Very clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mine mounted on the stem cover with velcro. I have plenty of room there because I use a low far stem. I haven't wired the blips for basebar shifting so I only have two wires coming into it from the extension clicks. I use the mono plug-in with Aerocoach Angles 45deg extensions. I have no extra wire visible, all the extra wire is tucked in the extensions. The wires are routed through the mono spacer and come out from the front of the stem cover where I cut out the Di2 notch that's built into the cover. The blip box sits on the stem cover with wire ports facing the front. I added a black zip tie to keep it in place but the velcro does a pretty good job on it's own.

I really didn't need extra blips on the basebar... I mostly ride flat courses and if I did anything hilly I still wouldn't mind to much shifting on the extensions... Used to it from when I had mechanical. This way I have a really simple setup with no extra wires hanging all over the place. I can attach some pics if you'd like.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why I’ve chosen DI2 over ETap on my SC:

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Nov 22, 19 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To tell you the truth next time I'll be getting Di2... The front ring shifting with eTap is complete shit. Luckily I don't really use it down here in Florida.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm liking the hand position. What extensions are those?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [ntnyln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntnyln wrote:
I'm liking the hand position. What extensions are those?

https://51-speedshop.com/...ate-carbon-extension

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Nov 22, 19 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept - Etap control box placement [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
I have mine mounted on the stem cover with velcro. I have plenty of room there because I use a low far stem. I haven't wired the blips for basebar shifting so I only have two wires coming into it from the extension clicks. I use the mono plug-in with Aerocoach Angles 45deg extensions. I have no extra wire visible, all the extra wire is tucked in the extensions. The wires are routed through the mono spacer and come out from the front of the stem cover where I cut out the Di2 notch that's built into the cover. The blip box sits on the stem cover with wire ports facing the front. I added a black zip tie to keep it in place but the velcro does a pretty good job on it's own.

I really didn't need extra blips on the basebar... I mostly ride flat courses and if I did anything hilly I still wouldn't mind to much shifting on the extensions... Used to it from when I had mechanical. This way I have a really simple setup with no extra wires hanging all over the place. I can attach some pics if you'd like.
I think that's what I'd planned on doing in my rewire... except I'm using wires on the base bar as well so I'll have four wires coming through the cut out... and sure pics are always a great addition.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think I got all the pinch zones eliminated with the wires all in the base bar/extensions/forward of the steering pivot area... and I put Clics on my aero bars.... upgrade!

Last edited by: xeon: Nov 23, 19 10:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
This is why I’ve chosen DI2 over ETap on my SC:

That looks slick, how did you do the wiring (basebar + shifters) in the front end without the use of the 5-port junction?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
Mitch@Trek wrote:

Appreciate your mount info... can you snap a pic and add to the thread? I think I get what you're saying but a pic would be awesome!

Took me a bit to get these photos for you since it's in another state right now, but if you need another option, this is by far my favorite. Really nice when taking the bars off to put in a travel case as well since all the wires are tucked up there and you don't have to worry about them hanging up on the stem.

Also attached pics of it with the mono and base bar removed.

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Nov 27, 19 10:32
Quote Reply