Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
A hexagon bar for deadlifts

Good recommendation. Wouldn’t be my one piece but I use it frequently at the gym
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IndoorSwimBikeRuninator ... created by Dr. Doofenschmirtz of course!!!

Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go with the Hexbar or Trap Bar.

Nothing has improved my triathlon performance more than the Hexbar with the exception of S/B/R.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I've already got a bike trainer and a Concept2 rower. Don't really want a treadmill or any weights etc.

I'd go for a SCY pool. Nothing fancy, four lanes, blocks and good gutters. Oh, and it needs pace clocks. Big, round, analog. 6 of them.

As for what god go wrong with bands, a college teammate of mine became blind using bands when they tore from the wall and the hardware took his vision away. Buy good ones.

Concept2 rower seems popular in this topic. Sure, you can get brand new for $1000. But if you look on places like craigslist, FB marketplace and such you can often find ones in good shape below $500. They are built well and last forever. Got my model C with a PM3 for $375.

I've used the Concept 2 rower erg when I was on USAF duty in AFG/IRQ and had no pool access. While I think it gives a "full body" workout to a certain degree, personally I still think swimming uses more muscles than rowing, espec if you swim all 4 strokes. I know that you're a big swimmer so I wondered how you compare the two...???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
if price is no consideration an endless pool

+1
In the garden, not in the cave. You have that heated all year, which costs something, but I have seen a calculation,
it is payable. Even with frosting temperatures. You have an isolating cover over it. You and your family can use is as a small pool in summer.
Seems even not to be too much work to maintain (contrary to a real pool).
Oh yes, thought about it. Costs > 10,000 though, excluding the heating costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan wrote:
Other than treadmill, trainer, etc... If you could buy one more piece of "training" equipment, what would it be and why?

Skipping rope.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 10-90 Bowflex click weight dumbells.

I own a bike, I don't care to own a treadmill, and won't ever own a vasa. So nothing SBR related. And, it said gym........

10 to 90 lbs each in 5lb increments. One compact set. Since it was said to pick one thing, that'd be it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for a gym bench because its time to change my old bench.

https://koxtonsmart.com/fitness-equipment/weight-bench
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [Justin Thornley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justin Thornley wrote:
I would go with the Hexbar or Trap Bar.

Nothing has improved my triathlon performance more than the Hexbar with the exception of S/B/R.

I just purchased a hex bar. Please share how it made a difference and how you use it. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, is this the Soloflex of the 21st Century?

https://www.tonal.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good mat.

Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a solid theory that the best bang-for-your-buck exercises are multi-joint movements involving heavy weights. Even for endurance sport, the adaptation we're going for in weight lifting is not endurance, it neuromuscular recruitment and maximal force production. You do your endurance training on the bike, run and pool. 3-5 sets of 3-8 reps of heavy multi-joint movements. For example:

Squats
Deadlift
Pullup
Row
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Lunges

All of these exercises can be done with a squat rack, barbell, and plates I know that's technically 3 pieces of equipment, but if we're going by technicalities then a Bowflex is like 200 pieces.

You can get the bar and plates for less than $500, the racks can be expensive, but if you're handy you can build one out of wood for less than $200, catch bars and all.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [ankit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ankit wrote:
I'd go for a gym bench because its time to change my old bench.

https://koxtonsmart.com/fitness-equipment/weight-bench

Welcome to slowtwitch. Lemme guess... You work for koxton? We all love spam here, so you'll fit right in.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't work for koxtons. I get great service from the company that's the reason i recommend this. By the way they (office) are just 5 min away walking distance from my home so they deliver fast to me.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Tonal.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could buy 1 piece of gym equipment.... [ankit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ankit wrote:
No, I don't work for koxtons.

We're going to be a bit suspicious when a brand new account suggests a product for sale on a thread that has been dormant for three years.

And obviously adjustable dumbbells is the correct answer here.
Last edited by: dangle: Feb 17, 22 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a quick scan but not many votes for Concept2?
Quote Reply

Prev Next