Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the questions surprised me. I am open to guaranteeing 6 weeks paid family leave. Well, that's less than 12. I believe one should pay there debts. I mean a contract was signed, fair or not. I'm cool with exploring nuclear power. By the results you'd think I was a Pub. But to be honest Trump is so out there dishonest I would vote for even Warren over him and let congress sort her out.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanders - 6
Biden - 5
Warren - 5
Yang - 5
Steyer - 5
3 more at 4, lowest was 3

And one of the times I agree with Sanders and Warren I don't really agree. I don't think private insurance should be banned, but any health care plan I would be in favor of would make it meaningless for most people.

And I'm not sure exactly where I come down on paying for college and student loan debt. I have collected on defaulted student loans a lifetime ago and know a lot of the abuses. I know how far in debt you can go to go to college but I want people to have skin in the game. I know how my own student loan debt went and think there has to be a better way. But I also knew what the deal was when I took it on. There is a lot of nuance around these issues that doesn't get captured here.

There is a reason I am alright with most any of them but not excited by any of them.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree that this poll is a bit misleading with how the answers are structured, but I think it captures where I'm at fairly well..

Biden - 6
Yang - 5
Klobuchar - 4

Disappointed that Klobuchar is still in single digits in terms of support.

Quote | Reply
Biden/Yang - 7
Klobuchar (my favorite, along with Pete) - 5

Lots of question marks. I didn't agree with Warren on any, though I'd have absolutely no problem voting for her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I also believe that your percentages of 70 to 80% are sky high. Look at the last election, almost 50% of the voters refuted the other side. Moderates make up about 30+ % of the voters. I think it would be safer to say that you and I fall into the category of voting outside the norm, rather than with it.

+1

80% of the country libertarian? Hell no.

As we can see now, 40-43% of voting age Americans are very right leaning or worse. They are fine with authoritarians. They STILL approve of Trump.
43-45% or so of voting age Americans are left of center. They are for egalitarianism. That's the non-Mondale floor of Dem votes (i.e. Dukakis and 92 Clinton)

That leaves 12-17% either centrist or way out on the left. 2-3% are out there with me. 1% of people voted Green in 2016, 19% of people voted for Perot.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yang 7
Biden 6
Amy/Tulsi 4
Pete/Booker/Harris 3
Sanders 2
Warren 1

And I sort of want Sanders to win, just to see. I don’t believe Warren believes her own platform, and is just riding the path to a nomination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was interesting, but ended up about how I thought: down the middle. I tend to stay out of politics and the threads that go with them, but wouldn't mind revisiting this type of thing throughout the election year.

Results:
Biden - 5
Klobuchar - 5
Booker - 4
Buttigieg - 4
Gabbard - 4
Steyer - 4
Harris - 3
Sanders - 3
Yang - 3
Warren - 2

To be fair, none of them shared my views on Student Loan Dept nor FMLA.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a good thread going around twitter right now with graphs of a five party America... Greens, Labor, Libs, Cons, and one more that I’m forgetting which was basically reactionary/authoritarian/racist

Somebody polled people asking them about these parties by issue only, no names or affiliations and the results were interesting

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7- Biden
6- Wang
5 - Klobuchar

0 - Warren

The multiple choice seemed set up to maximize potential agreement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many Americans took a pass on voting this last election? Libertarian was not the right description. I stand by my "guess" that people in this country describe themselves as middle of the road, IOW, neither major party truly represents them.

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was the same. Biden 7, Warren 1. I would have thought Mayor B and Booker would have been higher.

Unfortunately, I never thought Biden was all that smart and he's now senile. Maybe NYC Mayor B actually enters or Patrick. The search continues. Could be a write in year......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biden 7
Pete 6
Klobuchar 6

warren was lowest for me with 2.

accurately represents where i am politically. Biden is the candidate that energizes me the least. will probably vote for Pete or Amy if they are still in with a chance in late April.

in my own head i am a left-wing revolutionary, but I'm really a boring slightly left of center 50 something suburbanite
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Some of the questions surprised me. I am open to guaranteeing 6 weeks paid family leave. Well, that's less than 12. I believe one should pay there debts. I mean a contract was signed, fair or not. I'm cool with exploring nuclear power. By the results you'd think I was a Pub. But to be honest Trump is so out there dishonest I would vote for even Warren over him and let congress sort her out.

I think that's a lot of us on here - maybe fiscally conservative, socially liberal, lean libertarian (I know a lot of people here have said that's their general ideology). Trump changes the equation, even disagreeing with many of these candidates they're better than the alternative.

I did also think the possible responses were fairly limited but then this is a Dem primary poll, targeted toward Dem voters, so you'd expect fairly left-of-center answers.

This one did give me a nice little laugh though: "The government should make four years of college _______ for all families, including the wealthy."

As though the government, at the snap of a finger, can make it FREE, or AFFORDABLE! Nevermind that the government has literally been the single biggest contributor to college being UNAFFORDABLE right now to all but the wealthy. Good luck getting them to figure out how to make public universities 'free' (see: tax-payer funded) while not having a massively deleterious impact on small private colleges (many of them historically black schools) and especially the low-income, non-white students they're most aiming to help.

If people spent 20 minutes thinking about the real impact of 'free' public schools they'd roundly disagree with the proposal.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Nov 20, 19 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If people spent 20 minutes thinking about the real impact of 'free' public schools they'd roundly disagree with the proposal.

I think you meant public colleges. Having said that, you might want to rethink your quote. Most people attend public school for a reason.

FWIW, I'm not for free college.....just sayin'

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biden and Steyer 5
Mayor Pete, Klobuchar and Yang 4
Harris, Sanders and Gabbard 3
Warren 2

I'm not big on the paid family leave (maternity and paternity leave is a sore subject w/me).
I also don't believe in messing with student loan debt. I paid mine off for years, at times working two jobs.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
This is why my Boulder friends think I’m conservative :-). And my friends in most other places think I’m a liberal.

Imagine going from San Francisco to Tennessee!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biden 7 out of 10
Warren 0 out of 10
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:

I think you meant public colleges. Having said that, you might want to rethink your quote. Most people attend public school for a reason.

FWIW, I'm not for free college.....just sayin'
Eh, colleges are schools. I think everyone knows what I'm referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
As though the government, at the snap of a finger, can make it FREE, or AFFORDABLE! Nevermind that the government has literally been the single biggest contributor to college being UNAFFORDABLE right now to all but the wealthy. Good luck getting them to figure out how to make public universities 'free' (see: tax-payer funded) while not having a massively deleterious impact on small private colleges (many of them historically black schools) and especially the low-income, non-white students they're most aiming to help.

CA had essentially near zero costs for public higher education and it worked pretty well up until recently. The students had to pay a pittance to go to public state universities but you still had small and large private schools. I guess no HBCs, but it never had them to start with.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Biden and Steyer 5
Warren 2

I'm not big on the paid family leave (maternity and paternity leave is a sore subject w/me).
I also don't believe in messing with student loan debt. I paid mine off for years, at times working two jobs.
Huh. Looks like we think alike... well, on these ten things, anyhow. What's your thoughts on beer? Haha...
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Biden and Steyer 5
Warren 2

Huh. Looks like we think alike... well, on these ten things, anyhow. What's your thoughts on beer? Haha...

Yes! IPAs and an occasional sour.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yang-6
Biden-5
Booker-3
Klobuchar-3
Gabbard-3
Steyer-3
Buttigieg-2
Harris-2
Sanders-2
Warren-1

Damn. Despite often falling into the libtard bedwetting Kommunist category here in the LR, it looks like I should be voting Republican.

And there's no way I'd vote for Yang, unless he abandoned his support for UBI. It's an interesting idea, and might be useful to reduce welfare dependence, but it's certainly not something we should be rolling out widely at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Yang-6
Biden-5
Booker-3
Klobuchar-3
Gabbard-3
Steyer-3
Buttigieg-2
Harris-2
Sanders-2
Warren-1

Damn. Despite often falling into the libtard bedwetting Kommunist category here in the LR, it looks like I should be voting Republican.

And there's no way I'd vote for Yang, unless he abandoned his support for UBI. It's an interesting idea, and might be useful to reduce welfare dependence, but it's certainly not something we should be rolling out widely at this time.

I believe I had the exact results. The Democrats need a moderate candidate who hasn't lost his/her marbles. The few sentences I've heard from Biden don't inspire confidence. He sounded far more coherent 4 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Which Candidate Do You Agree With? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
jkstevens wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Biden and Steyer 5
Warren 2

Yes! IPAs and an occasional sour.
Bah... I knew it wouldn't last: I'm a browns, stouts, and porters guy...
Quote Reply

Prev Next