Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course
Quote | Reply
Ironman set to announce a new 70.3 event in the Australia / New Zealand region next week. Any ideas / guesses where this may be. Shall be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [tik86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darwin Australia is the whisper
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [RobertK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobertK wrote:

That would be worst case scenario. Hot as hell and nowhere to swim where there aren’t Crocs.

I thought I had read a while back that Ironman were interested in taking over the Murrayman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The company that run IM events in aus recently purchased some events from a now defunct management company. That company also ran Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Shepparton - a safe best here is the announcement will be 70.3 Melbourne in November.

That ties in with the announcement today that the Western Sydney event (this weekend) would be shifting to September in 2020.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub12 wrote:
The company that run IM events in aus recently purchased some events from a now defunct management company. That company also ran Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Shepparton - a safe best here is the announcement will be 70.3 Melbourne in November.

That ties in with the announcement today that the Western Sydney event (this weekend) would be shifting to September in 2020.

Sydney was moved due to conflicting dates with worlds. Wanda bought 4 events from Fairfax media which were published none of which are challenge Melbourne or Shepparton.

Melbourne is still a fair choice given the large Tri community here ( I live in Melbourne) not sure about November as the weather could be nasty here still
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m betting Adelaide but would like to see perth for selfish reasons
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [RobertK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobertK wrote:

Haha where did you hear that? I used to live there. Last year they pulled out over 300 salt water crocodiles from Darwin harbour which is near where the swim course would be if it is in the ocean. Then there are the box jellyfish which have killed people in the past. The large sharks don’t come in because it’s too dangerous. Then there’s the heat and extreme humidity.... I actually can’t think of a worse place in Australia to have a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never raced Melbourne but wasn’t that race scrapped due to operating costs ? What would have changed now to make that possible ? Sorry if I am wrong

Murrayman - amazing location and would be perfect for it with the wineries and country towns around for tourists but could barmera/Berri cope with so many people ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we could do with another one in NZ as taupo is not the best as the only option but i expect it will be in AUS
fortunately we have plenty of great non-IM branded events which are half the price :)
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
we could do with another one in NZ as taupo is not the best as the only option but i expect it will be in AUS
fortunately we have plenty of great non-IM branded events which are half the price :)

Wouldn't IM love to get their hands on Wanaka or Tauranga! Actually, someone in TriNZ told a friend of mine a few years ago that IM tried to purchase Tauranga when it was on the block a few years ago. Thankfully they missed out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

Funny. Is it April 1st?

It's Melbourne. November

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [Petsoundspad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petsoundspad wrote:
pk1 wrote:

Wouldn't IM love to get their hands on Wanaka or Tauranga! Actually, someone in TriNZ told a friend of mine a few years ago that IM tried to purchase Tauranga when it was on the block a few years ago. Thankfully they missed out.

I'd be even more upset if they somehow managed to get Rotorua
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
Petsoundspad wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I'd be even more upset if they somehow managed to get Rotorua

I can imagine where Hooksie would tell them to stick their filthy lucre. Flying in for the Quarter myself. Sad to hear of the prize giving's demise. It was quite a night 2 years ago....... not one of my finest moments...
Quote Reply
Re: New Oceana Ironman 70.3 course [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:

Guessing you are driving to Melbourne.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply