Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [sjctri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjctri wrote:
I’m guessing you haven’t done many tris outside the races that your local club supposedly puts on?

I have raced Nevada, california, Arizona and Mexico. First time in Florida. Mexico had full closed roads.....
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
My local tri club puts on races for $25 to non members, with full closed roads (policed) , lifeguards, timing, and great post race breakfast. Seeing the Miami man thread...looks like this is a Florida problem? No wonder it has such high vulnerable user death rate

What town and state are you in? In Massachusetts and most of New England, all the races are on open roads (unless it is explicitly an off-road race). Most have police at the major intersection and volunteers at the turns. I can't think of one that shuts down one or more lanes of a road (there are some that cone off a bike lane for short stretches).

There were also early season USAT sanctioned pool races (250 yards snaking across six lanes). Unfortunately, the RD retired and they are no-more.

When I lived in San Diego (2003-2010), TCSD had no/low-cost monthly races but the roads were never closed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am the Race director for the City Island triathlon in Sarasota.
the race was far from perfect first year location always has challenges who will be fixed for next year.
we had 8 officers on the course, 2 at each traffic lights and 2 at the turn around, so you didn't have to stop at any lights. you are lucky if you have closed lanes in San Diego.
there is no closed course races in Florida, unless it is inside a park like Fort de Soto in St Pete.
the race price starts at $65 if you sign up early up to $90 on race week, standard pricing I think.
USA Triathlon doesn't require officials on motorcycles, RD can self officiates their races.

below are feedback from the racers.

Hi Thierry,

You asked for feedback. Generally I’m happy with the race. I was looking for a small race and wasn’t expecting everything to be world class like an Ironman. I’m also not paying 800 for that experience. I’ve got some feedback but honestly I wouldn’t change too darned much unless you think you can sell more and enlarge the race. Not wise for that venue as I don’t know how much more it can handle.

Terry- I came to Sarasota for a vacation and was looking for a tri to do there. I just wanted you to know I had the best time at the event. I race 5-7 times per year and do the big ones that are so amped up and draining but I really enjoyed the payed back fun atmosphere of this one. Great music and course. Thank you for all your effforts.

This was my first Triathalon and it was an incredible race! Thank you for all the countless hours you spent organizing the event! I truly loved that i swam to a unicorn :). I made an error when i was biking and came in the wrong way so my time was not stopped for the bike before the run. Ultimately, that's no biggie as it was my mistake. I appreciate you and the way the race was done. I will definitely plan to do this triathlon again next year! You all did a fantastic job! Thank you and have a great week.

Hi Thierry,

Thoroughly enjoyed the race and seeing you! Your races are always fun!

Good morning,

As I have everything somewhat fresh in my mind....I drank many many mimosas. I understand that this is the first race and I know that it's only gonna get better from now on so here are a couple of things that I saw.

The good.

*Location is great
*Easy enough parking
*Amazing food and drink options at the end
*Soft grass area for transition is always 👌
*Photographer (even though I guess I was too fast for him to get pics of me lol)

Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
synthetic wrote:
My local tri club puts on races for $25 to non members, with full closed roads (policed) , lifeguards, timing, and great post race breakfast. Seeing the Miami man thread...looks like this is a Florida problem? No wonder it has such high vulnerable user death rate

What town and state are you in? In Massachusetts and most of New England, all the races are on open roads (unless it is explicitly an off-road race). Most have police at the major intersection and volunteers at the turns. I can't think of one that shuts down one or more lanes of a road (there are some that cone off a bike lane for short stretches).

There were also early season USAT sanctioned pool races (250 yards snaking across six lanes). Unfortunately, the RD retired and they are no-more.

When I lived in San Diego (2003-2010), TCSD had no/low-cost monthly races but the roads were never closed.

I am tcsd member since 2011, since then fiesta island has been closed off for races. The Olympic distance race I did in Mexico, was $70 USD last minute with closed roads. How can Mexico be putting on better quality?

With the price of USAT sanctioned Sarasota race.. how much of entry fee goes to USAT? For an open course road there has to be cheaper insurance. I had option to do half marathon near by for same cost. but I wanted to show my parents what a triathlon is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I have raced Nevada, california, Arizona and Mexico. First time in Florida. Mexico had full closed roads.....

Mexico is a whole different beast than the US. I don't know if I've ever raced or watched a race in MEX without fully closed roads (N=5or 6)

You're pretty lucky if you can do 1-2 closed road to traffic tri's a year. I can assure you from having watched races and racing races in many countries on 3 different continents you're least likely to get closed to traffic roads in the US.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Nov 21, 19 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$250 sanction fee to USAT,

$1200 for the Police
$1600 for Permit
$10 for tri blend t shirts per racers ($2400)
$4 for the medal ($1000)
$4 for the award
$200 for the DJ
$2400 for the timing co.
$500 to the Volunteers
$1000 to not for profit organization
$1000, beer, mimosas, food,
$400 Port o let
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I am tcsd member since 2011, since then fiesta island has been closed off for races. The Olympic distance race I did in Mexico, was $70 USD last minute with closed roads. How can Mexico be putting on better quality?

With the price of USAT sanctioned Sarasota race.. how much of entry fee goes to USAT? For an open course road there has to be cheaper insurance. I had option to do half marathon near by for same cost. but I wanted to show my parents what a triathlon is.

Fiesta Island is unique. It's not a main road - it's an island connected by a short bridge. It's not difficult to shut down since there's generally not a lot of traffic to begin with. Good luck trying to hold a closed course race on SeaWorld Drive or Mission Bay Drive (the two mainfeeder roads to the island). TCSD used to hold races on the Strand on Coronado. That was a challenge!

Here's information on the USAT Santioning fees.

I do agree with you point on course distances. For a sanctioned race, the advertised and actual course distances should be the same (+/- a reasonably small fudge factor). A 5K run should be 5K, not 2.95 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually the race was advertise has a 2.5 miles run, then changed to a 3 miles run not 5k
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ian moone wrote:
actually the race was advertise has a 2.5 miles run, then changed to a 3 miles run not 5k

I actually did appreciate that change. On the bike back, I saw one guy jump the barrier while running, I assume he was following the old 2.5 Mile map.

Also thanks for doing cost breakdown. Looks like the usat sanctioned fee is a good price. I am still going to hold USAT accountable for not having quality control standards (racers have to pay their 1 day or yearly fee).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
HandHeartCrown wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Serious question:

Did someone hack your account?

Your posts in this thread are nothing like your usual elitist, entitled asshole sort of posts you usually make
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to derail the thread.

Florida, south east people.... for run races: are your roads closed? So far I have done run races in CA, AZ, NV, CO, CT, MA, NYC, IL and all the roads where closed to traffic (of course intersections let cars through when clear from participants). The only run races I did with traffic on the course where in Mexico
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

Serious question:

Your posts in this thread are nothing like your usual elitist, entitled asshole sort of posts you usually make

Sometimes I'm unsure which side of the "coupleofathletes" is posting.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Serious question:

True. Same way you can tell which tweets were actually written by Trump, and which ones were written by an aide or an attorney.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced in WA, CO, MT, FL, ID, AZ, OH, and UT, and the only races where there was a completely closed course were age group nats, collegiate nats, or draft legal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Way to derail the thread.

Florida, south east people.... for run races: are your roads closed? So far I have done run races in CA, AZ, NV, CO, CT, MA, NYC, IL and all the roads where closed to traffic (of course intersections let cars through when clear from participants). The only run races I did with traffic on the course where in Mexico

How much of the entry fee goes to USAT? Answer: none. USAT gets your annual membership fee or the daily fee otherwise. Those are separate from the race entry.

Florida people - are your roads closed? For bigger races, yes. For medium races, maybe one lane. For most smaller races, no. Lots of road races seek bike trails and such to minimize road usage.
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Serious question:

When you have an axe to grind it's always the same side - the dull one.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Anthony's is the only race I did on closed roads in Florida. Not IM Haines City 70.3, not IM Gulf Coast 70.3, not The Intimidator, Not The Great Floridian, Not IMFL, not Miami Man, not any DRC Sports races, not any Sommer Sports races are closed roads. Not sure about Challenge Daytona 70.3 this year. Last year it was closed but shortened to around 17 miles up and down the street on the bike so easy to close. I don't think I have every done a run race on a closed road. Maybe one lane was coned off here and there.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Usat closed courses? Sarasota race [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
St. Anthony's is the only race I did on closed roads in Florida. Not IM Haines City 70.3, not IM Gulf Coast 70.3, not The Intimidator, Not The Great Floridian, Not IMFL, not Miami Man, not any DRC Sports races, not any Sommer Sports races are closed roads. Not sure about Challenge Daytona 70.3 this year. Last year it was closed but shortened to around 17 miles up and down the street on the bike so easy to close. I don't think I have every done a run race on a closed road. Maybe one lane was coned off here and there.

I consider one lane coned closed off. Considering roads are open, wonder how many people draft off of cars
Quote Reply

Prev Next