Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with swimming for an above-the-knee amputee
Quote | Reply
Hello. Long time slowtwitch "account holder", rare poster. But I am looking to connect with someone that can help me out.

Short version: I was hoping someone with experience teaching swim strokes to amputees could give me a few pointers and answer some questions.

Long version:
I teach swim lessons to kids at the local rec center. I am far from a swim coach, but I do stroke work with the older kids until they are proficient enough to join swim teams if they want.

Last spring I was approached by the mom of a 12 year old Boy Scout who needed help getting through his scout swim test. His right leg is amputated just above the knee, and, as I understand it, the leg was amputated shortly after birth so it's always been this way.

We only had a few weeks to get him ready for the swim test so I didn't do MUCH stroke work, just enough to teach him a resting stroke (side stroke) he could legally use on the first 75 yds between front crawl spurts. He passed the test and in my opinion he IS water safe (he could elementary back stroke all day long), but it definitely wasn't pretty.

This fall he returned to me for stroke work so when he has to do the test again in March it's an absolute certainty. We are making good progress, but I would love to talk to someone with experience in this to make sure I don't miss something critical or important.

Feel free to post here or reach out in private message...I promise not to take too much time, just have some basic questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with swimming for an above-the-knee amputee [jldicarlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.teamusa.org/...ng/Camps-and-Clinics

The lady listed as the contact for these clinics should be able to help you. Peggy Ewald. There is also a guy that does the swim clinics for Challenged Athletes and he is really good also. I don't have his name though.
Quote Reply