Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. They’re now just testing the software and adding bugs to it and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
Proof? No, I don't have a study shows that there is a correlation but this stuff is all over the place.
It's the same mindset. Science is wrong. They're trying to control our thoughts, control our minds, control our bodies

The example of increasing cases of measles is good evidence of some harm (accepting the correlation of anti-vaccers with flat earthers).

The articles you referenced (thank you) provided some reference to studies showing an increase in conspiracy theories, but I'm curious as to the numbers of flat-earthers. In my life (over 50 years), I've never met anyone who professed to be a flat-earther, though some may have been in the closet.

I am positive that you have met flat earthers. They think that the "roundies" (I have no idea if that's what they call us, but I like the term that I just made up) think that they are idiots (its true, we do). So it behooves them to keep their flat-earthism to themselves.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir Bedevere: "...and that is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped."

King Arthur: "This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders can be used to prevent earthquakes."

Sir Bedevere: "Certainly, my liege!"

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Actually that makes enough sense. Any being that is able to create the earth and everything on it, would be able to create fossils that make it look like everything was old.

I have just one question. If they created everything last Thursday, why did they implant memories in the minds of my wife and I that I had told her she needed to quit eating as much as I do and exercise more? Do they enjoy causing grief for poor innocent men like myself?
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s because God has decided to fuck with Florida. Obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just to have a little more fun, they implant memories in her head of conversations, but forget to implant them in mine.

When did I ever say that we would go furniture shopping? That's just silly.

And why would I say that we would watch a chick flick on Saturday night while we sat in the jacuzzi tub together. Actually, you can disregard that one, I know exactly why I would say that.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
My proof is that I travelled around the world on a bicycle, crossed 2 antipodal points on land and never saw or fell off an edge.

Point of clarification.. 2 antipodal points? .. Antipodal points would come in pairs, so did you cross 1 pair of anitpodal points, or 2 pair of antipodal point.. Inquiry minds want to know... And how the hell did you figure it out? Did you plan it ahead of time or figure out afterward?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I am beginning to believe that we are in a computer simulation. The creators are throwing things like Trump and Anti-vaxxers/flat earthers at us to see how the "rational" thinkers react. Although if that were the case, the whole thing is pointless as they should know how the "rational" thinkers will react given that they created us.

Yes, I am claiming to be rational. YMMV.

It’s aliens. Within seconds of giving birth to my first born, I saw him and realized that he was an alien, and I had been tricked by my alien husband to be the host to that little critter. It’s so clever and devious to create pregnancy and the emotional attachment that goes with it. It’s all a trick to enslave women to the alien men. You don’t need science to know a newborn is an alien. I’m pretty sure aliens are behind everything. It’s all so messed up!
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point of clarification.. 2 antipodal points? .. Antipodal points would come in pairs, so did you cross 1 pair of anitpodal points, or 2 pair of antipodal point.. Inquiry minds want to know... And how the hell did you figure it out? Did you plan it ahead of time or figure out afterward?

I didn't plan on anything, wasn't even sure of the route when I started.

In 2018, a guy I know did a bike ride around the world to establish a world record and the requirement to get a recognized record, "..the journey must be ridden through 2 approximate antipodal points.'

The problem is that there aren't many antipodal points without one being in an ocean. The pairs that are possible include China/Argentina, Malysia/Peru and Spain/New Zealand. Since I biked across Spain and the length of New Zealand, I figured I crossed them.

So, I figured it out later and also, did not see and edge but according to Blep, it's only because I didn't go to Antarctica, or cross the ice-wall, which makes sense if you think about it...
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
I've actually studied flat Earthers and their like for about 20 years (long story). I've even engaged with them on forums to understand their thinking, and they're just like every other conspiracy theorist:
<snip>
They're not particularly unintelligent people or even gullible people. They are having certain psychological needs met by believing they understand the underpinnings of reality that others can't perceive.

So the next time that you meet one, ask them why a Foucault Pendulum rotates with respect to the surface over which it's swinging.

... I looked it up, and the flat earthers claim that lots of people have obtained poor results trying to test with pendulums, so obviously any test using the pendulum that illustrates the earth spinning as predicted by spherical-earth theory, is faked.

They claim the same thing for tests done using ring laser gyros (which I've done myself - it's damn cool) or MEMS gyros (this is understandable, since commercial MEMS gyros are currently too noisy to show the earth rotation).

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Michigan Dunes, Chicago skyline.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optical illusion my friend.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
My proof is that I travelled around the world on a bicycle, crossed 2 antipodal points on land and never saw or fell off an edge.

Flat earthers believe that the "edge" of the earth is Antarctica and that it's an ice wall that surrounds us.

I am not kidding.

Isn't that similar to the Game of Thrones storyline?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, It's hard to refute the Flat Earther's photo of the eclipse. : )
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big Endian wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
I've actually studied flat Earthers and their like for about 20 years (long story). I've even engaged with them on forums to understand their thinking, and they're just like every other conspiracy theorist:
<snip>
They're not particularly unintelligent people or even gullible people. They are having certain psychological needs met by believing they understand the underpinnings of reality that others can't perceive.

So the next time that you meet one, ask them why a Foucault Pendulum rotates with respect to the surface over which it's swinging.

... I looked it up, and the flat earthers claim that lots of people have obtained poor results trying to test with pendulums, so obviously any test using the pendulum that illustrates the earth spinning as predicted by spherical-earth theory, is faked.

They claim the same thing for tests done using ring laser gyros (which I've done myself - it's damn cool) or MEMS gyros (this is understandable, since commercial MEMS gyros are currently too noisy to show the earth rotation).

Yeah, but the answers are always a deflection. It's sort of pointless to engage, really. If you watched that Netflix documentary Behind the Curve, there was a guy who used a RLG and got the predicted 15 degree per hour spin, but attributed it to "the heavenly energies."

Conspiracy theories are not based on facts, so facts won't dislodge them.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have thought those would be taller.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that there is no Trump Tower in this picture...
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Yeah, but the answers are always a deflection. It's sort of pointless to engage, really. If you watched that Netflix documentary Behind the Curve, there was a guy who used a RLG and got the predicted 15 degree per hour spin, but attributed it to "the heavenly energies."

Hmmm... I disagree with you and iron_mike on this. I don't think the "flats" are so monolithic. Yes, at the top you've got the liars and the hucksters. We're never going to convince them. For them it's just a game and changing your mind isn't part of it. However, you also have the dupes. If these flat assholes are not countered in effective ways we will have a growing number of dupes. I recently watched a video by Michelle Thaller from NASA arguing against a flat earth -- it was terrible. All her examples where from very uncommon observations that required the information to come from mediums that the flats are taught never to trust. Almost worse than nothing.

Proving easily and conclusively that the earth is a sphere is difficult to do in an internet environment where your opponent can just spout bullshit until people give up. IMO, the best way to counter the flats is not to prove the earth is a sphere, but to prove that the flat model is wrong. There are many easy observations to disprove that -- once again IMO.

Yes, I understand that it seems ridiculous to have to learn flat earth theory enough to disprove it. If we continue like we are now we're going to lose a ton of people to the hucksters.

Stepping off the soap box...
Last edited by: SH: Nov 19, 19 15:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm... I disagree with you and iron_mike on this. I don't think the "flats" are so monolithic. Yes, at the top you've got the liars and the hucksters. We're never going to convince them. For them it's just a game and changing your mind isn't part of it. However, you also have the dupes. If these flat assholes are not countered in effective ways we will have a growing number of dupes. I recently watched a video by Michelle Thaller from NASA arguing against a flat earth -- it was terrible. All her examples where from very uncommon observations that required the information to come from mediums that the flats are taught never to trust. Almost worse than nothing.

Proving easily and conclusively that the earth is a sphere is difficult to do in an internet environment where your opponent can just spout bullshit until people give up. IMO, the best way to counter the flats is not to prove the earth is a sphere, but to prove that the flat model is wrong. There are many easy observations to disprove that -- once again IMO.

Yes, I understand that it seems ridiculous to have to learn flat earth theory enough to disprove it. If we continue like we are now we're going to lose a ton of people to the hucksters.

I went down that route with creationists for like a decade an a half. Yes most are dupes rather than charlatans but that doesn't mean they were duped by a better model. They were duped for social/religious/cultural reasons and no amount of showing them a better model will make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:

I've dealt with conspiracy theorists professionally a lot over the last 20 years or so, and I've found facts will sway a very small percentage of them. And there aren't very many liars and hucksters, and there aren't that many dupes. The majority of people have fairly standard reasoning skills, but they have personalities that make it more important that they feel like they are "in the know" and special than correct and non-special.

It's sort of like political party affiliation. Most people have an almost knee-jerk defense of their political party to the point where they'll see a fact in a totally different light than they would if it were relating to the opposing party. They aren't liars or hucksters or dupes - they just have certain needs that are more important than being objectively correct.

There's a video on Youtube of a bunch of famous flat Earthers present at a simple test where a boat disappears over the horizon. It's done in a number of ways will lasers, etc., right in front of the flat Earthers, and when the tester asks the flatters what they think, they simply respond it wasn't enough to convince them. That's it. Direct evidence you can't refute, and they didn't try to refute it - they just said it didn't convince them.

I once had a months-long conversation with the world's leading proponent of the Expanding Earth Theory. The is the idea that if you rewind continental drift and slowly subtract out the oceanic tectonic plates, the continents fit together on a smaller, oceanless ball. The key point of this belief is that there is no subduction happening between the oceanic and continental plates. As you might guess, for this to be a real thing, all of physics would have to be utterly upended. I mean all of it, and amazingly, there are vast, elaborate ideas to describe this new physics. But what was just amazing was that if subduction is real, the entire theory falls apart, yet instead of focusing their attention on proving subduction does or doesn't happen, they spend a hundred times more energy creating new physics and new theories to support their position. They aren't interested in the truth; they're interested feeling they know reality better than nearly anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Saw a group of flat earth evangelists this weekend... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
these are all noble attempts at explanations, but here's your answer: you can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

there's no argument that 'breaks through' with these people. none.
Are you talking about flat earthers or how people view politics?
Quote Reply

Prev Next