Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Concrete Advice Needed
Quote | Reply
I want to change the slope of a concrete walkway at Chateau MOP to direct rain runoff in a different direction. I'd like to build up a wedge about 2m long, 30cm wide, and 1cm thick (tapering down to zero across the 30cm width) on top of the existing slab to do so.

Can anyone with concrete experience recommend a product that can be applied over the slab in a thin layer like that? Does any special prep need to be done to the slab? Any other issues?

Thanks.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Nov 17, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One idea could be to mud jack the concrete on the side you want raised, rather than applying something over the top of the concrete.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
One idea could be to mud jack the concrete on the side you want raised, rather than applying something over the top of the concrete.

drn92

Thanks. That's a cool idea. But, by "mud jack" do you mean raising the slab on one side, say, by injecting foam or some other means? If so, I don't think that's gonna work in my case as the slab interlocks the foundation of the house there. I can't "bury" or drop the other side, either.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Nov 17, 19 17:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for something specific?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes ... there are companies that can inject a material beneath the side of the slab you want raised. But, since the slab interlocks with your house it probably will not work.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had to redo slabs in front of commercial locations for better wheelchair/ADA access at the door threshold.

Sort of similar problem to you but n terms of height/slope/general sqf.

Sadly both times it was just better to get professionals in to cut/jackhammer and re-tie in/re-pour.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think anything added on the top would crack. They could put in a drain and dredge underneath?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much concrete are you talking about? It my be easier to cut and remove, then reinstall the concrete to drain the direction you need it to. Concrete is relatively cheap.

With any topping or leveling compound, tapering down to zero is the tricky part, plus you may need to put down two layers. Read the directions carefully. Most leveling compounds will need the surface etched, primer applied, or both. The good leveling compounds are not cheap, $30-50 a bag in the US.

If it is a small area of concrete, the time and money spent leveling will be more than just replacing.
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoff14 wrote:
How much concrete are you talking about? It my be easier to cut and remove, then reinstall the concrete to drain the direction you need it to. Concrete is relatively cheap.

With any topping or leveling compound, tapering down to zero is the tricky part, plus you may need to put down two layers. Read the directions carefully. Most leveling compounds will need the surface etched, primer applied, or both. The good leveling compounds are not cheap, $30-50 a bag in the US.

If it is a small area of concrete, the time and money spent leveling will be more than just replacing.

Thanks, all.

I could probably get away with 1cm thick on one side and 2cm thick on the other side to avoid the feather edge. Googling leveling and topping products is just giving me self-leveling underlayment products. I don't know that such a product would hold up outdoors exposed to traffic, weather, freeze/thaw, etc. And, I'm not sure if the self-leveling products can be applied with the slope (i.e. not level) I'm looking for.

I really don't want to hammer out the old concrete. I might be convinced to grind it instead of building it up to get the slope I need, but I'm not sure how to do that cleanly with an angle grinder without it looking like crap.

Maybe I can overlay with some kind of exterior tile over a sloped grout layer...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use some quickcrete.. worse thing that happens, is the first winter it pops..I doubt that would happen, but it might not last 30yrs, but if you have to redo every 5 -10yrs do you care?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Just use some quickcrete.. worse thing that happens, is the first winter it pops..I doubt that would happen, but it might not last 30yrs, but if you have to redo every 5 -10yrs do you care?

Quikcrete looks promising. Thanks. "concrete resurfacing" was the google keyword(s) I was looking for...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always try Sakcrete Top 'N Bond may work for you. Just make sure there isn't any sealant on the concrete and etch if needed.

https://www.sakrete.com/...ond-concrete-patcher
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use regular quickrete, but, they do make a topping compound that is specifically made for this purpose. You most likely will want to power wash the slab, then use the specific primer to help bond the two layers. All of this stuff is sold at HD.

The topping stuff is specifically made to go on top of existing concrete and can be feathered down to I think around 1/4" thickness. It contains a plasticiser that makes it easy to trowel, but, it does set up pretty quickly. Also, it ends up looking noticably darker then regular poured concrete, if that is of concern.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from loose women.
Try to save a little out of each paycheck.
And most importantly,

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a commercial contractor, what BC said above is spot on.
Sometimes us commercial guys agree with residential guys :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Could you use something like this?

Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Hmmm, not even a groan? I thought it was a good pun.

Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Hmmm, not even a groan? I thought it was a good pun.

I thought the concrete advice i posted was gold, and i got nothing.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, all.

I think I'm gonna try to grind down the other side first. If I muck it up, then I'll cover it all with of the topping mixes suggested.

Cheers.

Quote Reply
Re: Concrete Advice Needed [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked it.

Quote Reply