Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best running shoes for Retrocalcaneal Bursitis
Quote | Reply
My wife has Retrocalcaneal Bursitis and was wondering which trail and road running shoes are best for this condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Best running shoes for Retrocalcaneal Bursitis [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She could try some Adidas Boost models. I tried some and the heel cup is the best I've run in. They have a more rigid part to either side of the heel but that allows the heel cup part directly behind the heel to be very soft and flexible. I wish other shoe manufacturers did something similar. I'm guessing that is the kind of thing she'd be looking for, I imagine it depends how wide the painful area is. But worth trying.

You can also google DIY shoe modifications where people hack the heel cup themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case you're still looking I think this looks like it might be worth a try -

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/...r-initial-video.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

I'm so glad you asked, but sorry you are having to. Here's the deal, as I'm mastering the same issue. I normally run in the Adidas Boston. Over the last two months I've tried a lot of shoes. Tried the Adizero Pro - no go. Tried the Endorphin Pro - pretty good, but expensive option for lots of miles. Tried the Pegasus - really bad. Tried the Hoka Gaviota - not the best. Then I tried the Ghost - spectacular. Back to running, just taking it easy.

Best advice - lay off the running, ice it, don't stretch it out (no matter out much she wants to), and limit wearing shoes. Good Luck

RunRabid with Razor
If you are going to run, RunRabid!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have really bony heels and run into the same problem. My sauconys are probably the best. I have also used a utility knife to cut a hole in the heel cup in the location that overlies my bony prominence.
Quote Reply
Re: Best running shoes for Retrocalcaneal Bursitis [rabid sloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rabid sloth makes a good point about not running with it. I’ve had it before...thought it was insertional Achilles tendonoitis......but it would come and go. When the area hurt, I did eccentric calf rises and really massaged the area a lot with my fingers. That seemed to do the job, and fairly quick too
Quote Reply
Re: Best running shoes for Retrocalcaneal Bursitis [mtstanek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What really helps is taking a heat gun/paint stripper and gradually heat the heel cup until you feel it gets pliable.
Then you take the back of a screw driver or another round shaped object and push that into the area of pressure.
Cool it with an ice pack and the shape will stay that way.

I have serious haglund deformity on my right heel I can run without problems in the Brooks Ghost, the whole Endorphin line, new balance fuelcell tc (although the first pair had to reshape the heel cup a few times but the 2nd pair, fuel cell tc energy streak I dudn’t have to do anything) and new balance rc elite, the new hoka rocket x also no problem.

Best,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hiking shoes are warmer, more durable, but bulkier. Trail shoes are quicker dry, lighter weight. more breathable, But quicker wear out. I bought a pair of hiking shoes last Sunday. Quite affordable price.
https://rockroosterfootwear.com/...hiking-shoes-ks-5516
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you may notice in the replies here is that it’s individual. For rehab I would listen to the people who had it. Injuries unfortunately are not uniform. What works for one person may or may not work for the next. I think in the replies she has some good things to work on. As for shoes she’s really going to have to try shoes on. To narrow it down start with the all everyone shoe, the Brooks Ghost. For kicks try the Adrenaline GTS as well. I say this because you are looking at the #1 shoe overall in the Ghost for women and the #1 supportive shoe for women in the Adrenaline. If neither fit or feel good then you have a harder time but if one works which is a really good bet you are gold for the road. I wouldn’t even consider a trail shoe just yet. I would get that one shoe that works and maybe buy two different pairs, one for the road and one for the trails. Once the pain is gone, look for the trail shoe.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in Brooks ghost, and I use tape on the heal and my current plan is to not run on (many) consecutive days. Not sure how that is going to work out....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the biggest driver for which running shoes I've used over the past 10 years. The best (most comfortable) shoes for my heels have always been in the Nike Free line of running shoes (they've evolved a lot over the years). They have always had a super soft heel counter. Unfortunately they don't really work for me these days (due to other foot/leg issues I've been trying to stay ahead of). While not as soft of a heel counter, I've actually had pretty good luck with the last 3 years' versions of Nike Pegasus. They haven't aggravated my heel bumps very much at all and are currently my main running shoe. If you've got the means/motivation, the heel counter on the Nike Vaporfly ZoomX Next% have been very comfortable as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hokas are the only shoes that worked for mine..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suffered with that bony protrusion for years. One suggestion, try cutting a vertical slit down the center of the heel cup, maybe 1/2" or so long. What that does is release the "grip" that the heel counter has on the back of your heel. Try doing it on an old pair of shoes first to test it's it efficacy.

A serrated steak knife works the best. If you do make the slit too long you might get some heel slippage. But, what I have found is that the protrusion actually keeps your heel in place without much need for the heel counter to hug your heel.

As others have said don't try stretching the achilles too much, it doesn't help. A little bit goes a long way.

Ron W.
Quote Reply