Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ford vs Ferrari
Quote | Reply
Saw it yesterday. Was excellent IMHO. At first I thought Matt Damon would be miscast as Ol' Shel, but he did a great job. I remember that era quite well as I was following it before I even was old enough to get my license and have a couple of books about the Ford/Ferrari wars. The 1960's really was a golden age for motor racing. Most Hollywood attempts at motor racing movies have been pretty crappy, but they have made a few good ones - Grand Prix, LeMans and Rush. This film can join the list of one of the better ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone wants a GT40-ish replica, my Dad is selling his Valkyrie.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/...gine/7008023868.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. Will put that on the list.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
If anyone wants a GT40-ish replica, my Dad is selling his Valkyrie.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/...gine/7008023868.html

Funny that you should mention this car. There is one sitting for sale outside a gas station/garage in a small town near me since the summer. Its in rough shape with no engine, but I'll bet a good restoration project for the right person. Wanted to stop and have a close look, but haven't given into the temptation since I've already got two Triumph cars and three motorcycles (one new but two of them vintage restoration projects) crammed into my 24 x 24 man cave. There's just enough room for another project.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Thanks for the review. Will put that on the list.

Guaranteed you won't be disappointed. My wife loved the movie because of the story line. For me the story was good, but the old cars and the race scenes were fabulous. No animation, they actually used genuine cars (now worth millions in some cases) for the scenes. Be sure to see it on the biggest screen possible. Most movies I wait until they come out on Netflix, but not this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
...The 1960's really was a golden age for motor racing. .

If you ignore the number of drivers who would die each year, at least by mid to late 60's they were not killing so many spectators.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Be sure to see it on the biggest screen possible. Most movies I wait until they come out on Netflix, but not this one.

Ok. I'm glad you said that.

I'm interested because in past few years I watched, and really enjoyed, a documentary about the subject, I think it was "The 24 Hour War."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw it last night and really enjoyed it.

Fantastic acting by all and the right mix of “light” and “heavy”. Racing action was pretty well captured too.

Highly recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D'Wife & I went Saturday

It was actually her choice [knowing already that I wanted to see it], as she's a huge fan of both Matt Damon and Christian Bale

I had to remind her that back then 1) people actually died in races, and 2) they had no radios, so you had to figure everything out, on the road, on your own

FWIW: I had Porsche and GT40 slot cars, and they ALWAYS beat the Ferraris

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good movie, and Ford can still make a good pure sports car nowadays.

"During the 2019 Goodwood Festival of Speed, the new limited-edition, track-only Ford GT MkII was revealed. The MkII has been co-developed by Ford Performance and Multimatic using their learnings in WEC and IMSA championships along these years. Limited to just 45 vehicles (starting at $1.2 million), it's powered by the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine able to produce 700hp."

https://youtu.be/b-m1mXOsNUQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found myself with a few hours to kill and near a theater showing Ford vs. Ferrari. With no background information and no prior interest in racing or race cars I went in to watch it. Blown away! I actually thought it might be cool to buy one of those GT40s and figured for a '60s era car, it, or a modern replica couldn't be that expensive. Man was I wrong!
In your opinion, what is the best bang for the buck for a muscle car today?
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without looking up prices, I would think a Chevelle would be a decent buy.
I think the 442 is going up in price.
My dream trifecta would be a Plymouth Superbird, '63 split window, and a Goat. All of them have shot up in price though.
Quote Reply
Re: Ford vs Ferrari [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
In your opinion, what is the best bang for the buck for a muscle car today?

Depends on what you want. If you want straight line performance it's going to be hard to beat one of the Challenger with the 800 HP engine. If you want all the other kinds of performance then an AWD turbocharged car should be near the top of your list. I drive a Focus RS and it is fast in a straight line but the cornering grip is phenomenal. Plus, I can throw a couple of bikes in the back with the rear seats folded down, and go to the mountains to ride.

Last but certainly not least, all of these cars get killed for acceleration by the dual-motor Tesla model 3 performance edition... I can see where the future of performance driving lies.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really enjoyed this film. Some really well shot racing sequences, decent performances from the lead actors and interesting story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention. We watched it yesterday. Excellent indeed. Bale is outstanding. And for Le Mans, my dad was going to be production manager on it but ended up working on another movie with a friend. Finally did a car racing movie a few years later, called Bobby Deerfield, with Al Pacino. And it was incredibly bad despite the Director (Sydney Pollack) and the actor. I was 6 when it was filmed and got to go to Magny Cours with my dad. Don’t remember much but the noise and the speed.
Quote Reply