Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting this together. I didn't hit the 30 min / 3 mile every day, but still hit my goal of daily running. Running after the Fat Bike Birkie this weekend was the worst one of them all.

See ya'll next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
My Dad who always checks in on my plans and makes sure I don’t do anything stupid.

i need to have a talk with your dad.

bluestacks867 wrote:
Thank you everyone and I am looking forward to reading more final recaps - add details!

okay. so you tapped out at 550 runs. yes? this was your total?

I like blueatack's dad's definition of what qualifies as not stupid. My dad's definition is loosely anything that did not involve hitting academic books being a stupid waste of time in my youth and in adult life anything that was not devoted to corporate ladder climbing being stupid. So pretty well my entire life optimized to do sport and avoid studying and corporate ladder climbing would be classified in the entirely stupid waste of time category.

But hey, now that I am racing in 55-59 and two years younger than when he had his triple bypass and relatively healthy doing my stupidity it appears I have full support and my optimised techie life now qualifies in the Indian parent bragging rights category, so I guess I am off the hook to train like bluestack.

Actually it's funny because I think in the big Kahuna for a while bluestack and I were head to head on overall points untill he pulled way ahead. I was just getting aerobic points over 4 sports....trying to do it under the radar so my dad does not think I am totally goofing off (yes, it does not matter how old you get it's like I am 18 and he is 46 and thinks I am goofing off, but I am mid 50's and he is early 80's).

I need bluestack's dad to talk to mine so I appear normal.

By the way logged my 100th run today but see the challenge is not showing up in the log
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos to all who ran so fast and kept such a low average.

I though have been told / and have leaned that constantly running fast is not good. I now run speed sets, intervals and progression sets a couple times a week, but mix them up with super mellow recovery runs. Plus I run a ton on difficult trails where pace is irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the data nerds:

SJK wrote:
Fun little data question: After logging a decent number of (slow) running miles over the past couple years in prep for IM's,I spent all fall focusing on the bike and avoiding running. Probably did 50 miles per month in Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov.

With some exceptions most of my runs for the challenge will be 3.5 - 4 miles at about a 9:00 pace. That's my go-to, pay-no-attention-just-run speed at the moment. So the fun question (or at least the question i consider fun): How much will my average heart rate over similar runs decline over the 100 runs? Right now my HR averages about 152 if I do 3 or four miles at a fairly even 9:00ish pace.

After a rest day I went out this evening to run a favorite little 3.6ish mile neighborhood loop. I did it during the first week of the challenge and ran 9:06's with an average HR of 160 - To be fair, my running log notes I ate and felt like crap that day. After that first week I repeated it several times throughout the challenge. The distance varied a tad each time because of where I actually started / stopped running. For the most part I tried to run this route very hard each time so I could use it as a yardstick of my progress:

Run #9: 8:57's with 157 HR
Run #20: 8:29's with 158 HR
Run #27: 7:58's with 160 HR
Run #62: 7:52's with 154 HR (Running log note: Didn't do full effort (as slight HR drop demonstrates)

Tonight: 7:19's with 159 HR

I spent a lot of time doing speed work - intervals, hard tempo runs etc... during the latter half of the challenge. Frankly I did more speed work in those last 50 runs than in the balance of my running life. It appears it really paid off. As you can tell by those times I'm a fairly slow runner; This is the first time it's occurred to me that I don't have to be so slow. If I put some effort into it instead of plodding along at 9:10's all the time I can actually get faster!

Really quite an eye opener.

My only other "test" is the one from my quoted post - On friday I plan to go run this route at the original 9:06ish pace and see what my HR is. I'm guessing it'll be 130ish.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race I was using my sub 5k/ min pace challenge for just cancelled.... Comfortably cruising in low 5s now... Some what aimlessly
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Race I was using my sub 5k/ min pace challenge for just cancelled....

Yeah my Sunday 3/15 26.2 was just cancelled this morning.

I feel pretty fast. I started tapering on Tuesday. Had a week of productive speed work last week. Oh well.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about setting up your own marathon? My race was pacer goal and I was wanting to help people, but now no one to pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
How about setting up your own marathon?

Yeah, that's an idea. 26.2 is too much of a workout for me. I'm a very high maintenance runner. The logistics alone are crippling. Yes, I could set up an aid station and maybe run it on the track, but that sounds just a bit too much and gritty for me. I'd rather do a long ride on the bike.

My focus now is just training to do well in the run of a 70.3, so I don't really need that much run distance training. I'm at the point where I'm completely injury free in running and it is the best thing ever. I usually get injured pushing myself too hard in running and my knees blowout, but I'm good now. I want to stay in this injury free zone. Also, I can continue my speedwork and maybe hold onto it throughout the year until the 70.3. That would be nice.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to put a bow on my participation in this challenge for 2019/2020...

Today I completed my first 100/100 qualifying run since Saturday, January 25th, pretty much exactly 2 months ago. I was admitted to the hospital 7 days later.

It wasn't as pretty as the run back in January. Nor was it a continuous 30 min. Rather an alternating Run/walk averaging 11:00 / mile. Nevertheless, it was a full 30min and 3 miles of actual running at ~9:30 pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Just to put a bow on my participation in this challenge for 2019/2020...

Today I completed my first 100/100 qualifying run since Saturday, January 25th, pretty much exactly 2 months ago. I was admitted to the hospital 7 days later.

It wasn't as pretty as the run back in January. Nor was it a continuous 30 min. Rather an alternating Run/walk averaging 11:00 / mile. Nevertheless, it was a full 30min and 3 miles of actual running at ~9:30 pace.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next