Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:
Unpaved

https://www.unpavedpennsylvania.com/

I've never done it so I cant speak anything about it. But it looks fun and I heard great things about it.

Done it twice (54 last year, 90 this year).
Grassroots atmosphere, great support at the aid stations, a field size that doesn't overwhelm the course and a perfect mix of fun and challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I know of a new race in Canada with a mix of gravel roads, single track, double track, private ranch roads, two creek crossing and a lot of climbing.
It's not officially announced yet though.

Well that's not very helpful, is it?

https://thegravelexperience.com/
https://www.instagram.com/thegravelexperience/

Beautiful area just over an hour south of Calgary. 98% gravel, 160km, 2400m+ of climbing, plus two shorter events.
I've have some friends who have ridden in the area and say it's incredible.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Nov 18, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year I did a few gravel events. BWR, Rock Cobbler and the Wydaho 100.

Rock cobbler was fun, but it rained before the event so it was pretty muddy this year. If it stays dry this year it should be even more fun.

The Wydaho 100 was a small (~ 50 riders) mostly self supported (they promised 1 aid station, but had 2) 100 mile gravel ride in the Teton valley by the border of Idaho and Wyoming. It is not a race, but it was a very scenic ride.
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did *not* get in Big Sugar in Arkansas ... I live on the West Coast but was up at 4 am for a flight .. I knew it would sell out quickly, yet when I tried at 6 a.m. West Coast, it was already full.

Next year I will pay closer attention to the opening entry time. Though I live in Oregon, I grew up in Arkansas and want a reason to race there.

To the original poster, the Gorge Grinder in The Dalles, Oregon, (www.oregongravelgrinder.com/gorge-gravel-grinder/) perhaps meets much of the criteria. Although in 2019 the weather was pretty awful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilly Billy Roubaix in Morgantown, WV

It was a gravel race before there was such a thing as a gravel race.Equipment choice is very personal. It has been won on both a Mountain Bike and a Cross Bike (or whatever they are called these days). The only standard is tubeless tires. If you want any chance at a high overall finish only put tubes in your jersey, you will flat.

What I'm looking for:
1. Event that is big enough that it's worthwhile traveling to, but not so big that it's overly difficult to recover from.
Estimated ride time in the 4 to 7 hour range.
  • 70ish miles that should be right in the 4-7 hour wheelhouse. Capped at 500ish people.
2. A course that has interesting segments that add contrast between the sectors (A la BWR, Grinduro, etc.)
  • Course has it all. Gravel, Dirt, Streams, Cow Paths, Grass, Pavement, Goats and Pigs (seriously)
3. Something with logistics that work for someone traveling from out of town.
  • 1 hour South of Pittsburgh International Airport. Morgantown is home to West Virginia University and is a great college town. (Although I am extremely biased as I graduated from there in 2004)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rasputista, great event with just enough challenge to make it interesting, very well run and a great party. They did add a longer ride specifically for those who were coming from a distance to make the trip more "worth it".

VT Forest Fondo in the fall is a really challenging ride, small but super well run.

USAT L1 and Youth&Junior Elite - USAC L3 - RRCA
The Cupcake Cartel
Skratch Labs Ambassador - Skratchlete
BOCO Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peloton Gravel Mob in Ojai, CA was a blast this past weekend. Varied terrain, 300 total participants, 62mi, 7.6k climbing, and great area of the country to hang out post-race.
Last edited by: sailnfast: Nov 18, 19 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I know of a new race in Canada with a mix of gravel roads, single track, double track, private ranch roads, two creek crossing and a lot of climbing.
It's not officially announced yet though.

Well that's not very helpful, is it?

https://thegravelexperience.com/
https://www.instagram.com/thegravelexperience/

Beautiful area just over an hour south of Calgary. 98% gravel, 160km, 2400m+ of climbing, plus two shorter events.
I've have some friends who have ridden in the area and say it's incredible.

Yup - the foothills are beautiful. And it's local(ish). I just don't get the appeal of gravel riding. Maybe because I grew up riding on country roads and so it has no "new & novel" factor for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fwiw, I'm not a big fan of gravel racing as the courses (generalizing the hell out of stuff) are largely uninspiring. I've not done this race but have ridden nearly all of the area covered but Rebecca's Private Idaho might fit your bill even though it's over the course of 4 days (5 if you count packet pick up but 3 days of "racing"). ymmv
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Yup - the foothills are beautiful. And it's local(ish). I just don't get the appeal of gravel riding. Maybe because I grew up riding on country roads and so it has no "new & novel" factor for me.

Are you in Edmonton? Guessing by your handle...

I spent a lot of my early years on Sask prairie gravel roads. Riding my bike on remote and quiet gravel roads calms my soul and brings back fond memories of my youth. So, it's not new or novel for me either. I just like the peace and quiet and the lack of traffic. Also the terrain is much more varied with steeper climbs, double farm tracks, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Mix Tape in Lakeville, MA (about an hour south of Boston). 50 miles total, roughly half paved and the other half a mix of gravel, singletrack, etc. Awards are based off a series of Strava segments spread throughout the course kind of like some fondos. Great vibe and after-party.

https://www.bikereg.com/themixtape

Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it that I live in the area and never heard of this one? I always assume there's no real gravel rides in eastern MA, will have to look into it for 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rock Cobbler in Bakersfield, CA in February......go to 1:15 in the video if you are looking for "looks like fun" or "interesting" great race with 300 participants and always weird stuff like that or having to carry your bike and run through a tire section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5atTPgr67Ok
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Crusher in the Tushar twice. I like in OKC at about 1000ft above sea level. Crusher kicks my tushar. It's as beautiful as it is challenging. The peak elevation on the course is at over 10,000 ft above sea level, and the climbs are long. There's no single track, but there are some pretty serious descents. I'd say the overall difficulty is on par with Leadville, but there aren't big rocks like leadville so a gravel bike will be a much better tool than a MTB.

There is a much smaller gravel race in Bentonville Arkansas called the Growler Grinder. It has been going on for 3 years. Lifetime Fitness may claim that Big Sugar is the first gravel race in Bentonville, but that is false. The Growler Grinder isn't a huge event (about 200 people) but the race is extremely well organized. The roads are the coolest gravel roads I've ridden. No single track, but lots of ups and downs, sharp flint, very narrow double-track style. While in Bentonville, take your gravel bike to Hobbs. It's the best MTB trail I've ever ridden, and there were less than a dozen people out there when I hit it. I was on a MTB, but the terrain would be fun on a gravel bike with at least a 40c tire.

The Epic in Missouri is similar to the terrain around Bentonville. Very pretty, some water crossings, lots of climbing, etc.

Oregon Trail Gravel Stage Race could be what you're looking for. Some of the rock gardens were aggressive enough that a MTB tire on a gravel bike was the best tool for the job. Again, very beautiful area with a good mix of terrain. Lots of descents where you can take some risks as you "send it." Lots of climbs that will punish you if you don't bring your A game.
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BWR has plenty of drafting on the road segments. Actually, one of the best things you can do is get into a group of other riders and work together until you get to the next dirt segment. You can get pretty much all of the dirt (and less road) by doing shorter Wafer. The Waffle adds more pavement and climbing. Hence, the challenge of going 28c road or wider gravel tires.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Gravel" races with Interesting Courses? [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are bringing your A-games with these events.
I think I need to make a spreadsheet.

Or, it'd be super awesome if we could get a Slowtwitch Gravel Directory with interesting details...

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Riding Gravel and Gravel Cyclist have pretty good calendars that have good descriptions for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
There is a much smaller gravel race in Bentonville Arkansas called the Growler Grinder. It has been going on for 3 years. Lifetime Fitness may claim that Big Sugar is the first gravel race in Bentonville, but that is false. The Growler Grinder isn't a huge event (about 200 people) but the race is extremely well organized. The roads are the coolest gravel roads I've ridden. No single track, but lots of ups and downs, sharp flint, very narrow double-track style. While in Bentonville, take your gravel bike to Hobbs. It's the best MTB trail I've ever ridden, and there were less than a dozen people out there when I hit it. I was on a MTB, but the terrain would be fun on a gravel bike with at least a 40c tire.

I recently did the Hazel Valley loop (goes south to White Rock Mountain.) southeast of Fayetteville and that was a great, and challenging ride with some serious climbs. I don't know of a race there but there's a ride there every February (Hazel Valley Gran Prix) and it's free. A cool 6,000+ feet of climbing over 52 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Vermont Overland last year and thought it was an excellent event. Beautiful area, interesting course, local feel, and a fun party after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Epic in Missouri is similar to the terrain around Bentonville. Very pretty, some water crossings, lots of climbing, etc.

Thanks for this. I'd not heard of it.

And xtrpickels - the DK course changes some each year, depending which way out of town they go. This year was totally different than the last few years.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few others to look into:

Gran Fondo Ephrata (a 'race' in that it's timed, but no prizes or classes) in central WA. Mixed gravel and pavement, an early season classic in WA.
Cascadia Super G south of Olympia. Supposed to be 'enduro' format, but the year I did it their timing system wasn't working so it was one stage that half or more of the event. It could not be more different than Ephrata. Ephrata is in the middle of the state, on the dry side east of the mountains, with the gravel being unpaved farm roads through rolling farm/desertland. The Super G, being on the west side, is gravel logging roads with a bit of pavement. This leads to steeper climbs, and a completely different sort of road surface that is frequently packed and fast (and alternately muddy, slow, and sloppy, weather and traffic dependent).

An event I haven't done that is on my bucket list is the Skull 120 in Burns, Oregon. This is remote, desert country (near where the Bundy's occupied gov't buildings).

And of course there is the Oregon Trail Classic point to point stage race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next