Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3?
Quote | Reply
As a male and wearing a one piece tri suit, how far can you unzip your top without getting penalized or disqualified when you are running?

I read on Ironman’s guideline that you can unzip all the way as long as the zip is still connected at the bottom. I also read somewhere else that you cannot unzip past your pect.

This is important for me as it would allow me to expand my rib cage enough to breath freely during the run. Otherwise I need to get a new suit with less compression around my rib cage. It OK on the bike though.
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [drjoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Article 5(h) states “ uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum).”

Edit: This was the 2018 rule.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 16, 19 21:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drjoke wrote:
As a male and wearing a one piece tri suit, how far can you unzip your top without getting penalized or disqualified when you are running?

I read on Ironman’s guideline that you can unzip all the way as long as the zip is still connected at the bottom. I also read somewhere else that you cannot unzip past your pect.

This is important for me as it would allow me to expand my rib cage enough to breath freely during the run. Otherwise I need to get a new suit with less compression around my rib cage. It OK on the bike though.

The current rule is unzipped to the bottom and still connected. Violating the rule can result in a warning to instantly correct the situation or be DQ’d. Though this rule drew some weird interpretations at 70.3 Worlds in SA it didn’t seem to get much attention at 70.3 Worlds in Nice and definitely didn’t get any attention in Kona this year. Tho I think Lucy Charles ran with her top only connected at the bottom of the zipper.

The IM head ref confirmed before Kona that females with a jog bra top could pull down a long sleeve top as long as the top and arms were rolled up and tucked into the shorts/waist. The intent of the rule is to require tops during the bike and run. It is written very awkwardly versus just stating that a top is required covering pecs.
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Article 5(h) states “ uniforms with a front zipper must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum).”

This is the old rule.
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
This is the old rule.
I stand corrected. And I cited the incorrect section. The 2019 rule book states in Article 6(e) “Uniforms with a front zipper may be unzipped to any length, provided, that (i) the zipper should be connected at the bottom of the uniform at all times, and (ii) the top of the uniform should cover the shoulders at all times; (DSQ if not remedied promptly). The uniform should be fully zipped when crossing the finish line.”

So, can be unzipped until you cross the finish line. Then zip all the way up.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 16, 19 21:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a top without a zipper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if this is still the current rule?

Also, is this coming from some USAT rule book or does IM event have specific rules for unzipping suits in their events?

Same story as the OP here, just want to make sure it’s ok to unzip before the finish line as I find it more comfortable on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Does anyone know if this is still the current rule?
Also, is this coming from some USAT rule book or does IM event have specific rules for unzipping suits in their events? Same story as the OP here, just want to make sure it’s ok to unzip before the finish line as I find it more comfortable on the run.
IM Competition Rules 2022 - https://cdn2.sportngin.com/...260277762.1569464052
Surely the model for this is Sam Long.
Not sure what you mean by "unzip[ping] before the finish line". The rule (even if not enforced) requires quite the opposite: "fully zipped [up]" at the finish. Sorting the little blighter (zip end) out when wet and tired and still running is sometimes easier wished for than done.

5.01(h) and 6.01(d) and (e)
(d) Cycling/running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-
top/sports bra at all times during the cycling/running segment of the Race; (30 or 60 Second
Time Penalty (as applicable), DSQ if not remedied promptly.
(e) Uniforms with a front zipper may be unzipped to any length, provided, that (i) the
zipper should be connected at the bottom of the uniform at all times, and (ii) the
top of the uniform should cover the shoulders at all times; (DSQ if not remedied
promptly). The uniform should be fully zipped when crossing the finish line;

Did I notice that the winner yesterday had infringed this "Ironman Violations" guideline: "your bike frame sticker must be properly attached to your bike frame. . . " Afaics was not attached to the Trinity frame but stuck to a fairing in front of head tube (or maybe that's part of the frame?) But I guess that position satisfied 5.01(k).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Oct 9, 22 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“ Also, is this coming from some USAT rule book or does IM event have specific rules for unzipping suits in their events? ”

Fairly certain this is an IM only rule. Plenty of people compete in local races with no top at all.
Quote Reply
Re: How far can you unzip during Ironman and 70.3? [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The men should wear a sports bra, problem solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

By "it’s ok to unzip before the finish line" I mean I wanted to read the rule so I know I can unzip the suit for the duration of the run prior to getting to the finish line. I generally try to make myself presentable for the finish line when I'm a few mins away - like wipe the snot off my face, make sure the number is at the front etc. Guessing many others do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Did I notice that the winner yesterday had infringed this "Ironman Violations" guideline: "your bike frame sticker must be properly attached to your bike frame. . . " Afaics was not attached to the Trinity frame but stuck to a fairing in front of head tube (or maybe that's part of the frame?) But I guess that position satisfied 5.01(k).

i think it is reasonable to consider that for this purpose "frame" means any fixed part of the bike. the actual rule does not include the word "frame"
Article V. BIKE CONDUCT Section 5.01 GENERAL
(k) The athletes’ bike frame sticker must be securely attached to the bike and must be visible from both sides
it is however yet another example of how poorly the rules of the sport are written - in this case the actual rule is ok but then they go and confuse matters with separate and inconsistent guidelines

the one that got me was most of the pros having their run numbers behind them or some to the side. i totally understand this as number in front can be really annoying but the rules are the rules aren't they?
Article VI. RUN CONDUCT Section 6.01 GENERAL
(g) Athletes must wear their IRONMAN issued bib number in front of the athlete’s person and the bib must be clearly visible at all times on the run course.
Quote Reply