Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Power Meter Help!
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

As you can see by my username, I'm fairly new to all this, especially the biking part. I got my first power meter--dual sided Favero Assioma pedals. I'm having some challenges getting data from them--not connection issues, but with all my various apps and devices that I've cobbled together, none of them real fancy, as a newb still. I'm getting power readings, but I need to do an FTP test and I can't figure out how to get the data I need.

So, besides the pedals, I have the following:

1. A Garmin Vivoactive 3 that doesn't natively support power meters. DC Rainmaker suggests that there are internal apps in Garmin Connect that I can buy to ammend that. Other people on some forums suggest the same, but I didn't find any mentions of a specific app that can do it. I poked around the Garmin app store, but didn't really understand what I was looking at.

2. Instead of a bike computer, I've been using my Android phone with BIke Computer Pro. That app is connected to the power meter, so I'm getting readings, but I don't see a place where it collects analytics, so I don't think that I can do an FTP test with it? Maybe I'm missing something there?

3. I also use Final Surge for my training. I see a place where it would potentially display analytics, but it looks like it needs to get that data from Garmin connect.

4. I also have a laptop that I set up when I'm on my trainer. It can connect to the power meter. I could use something like Trainerroad or Zwift, but they are subscription services and I'm already spending so much money on triathlon.

So, does anyone know if there's a free or relatively cheap way for me to get data from my pedals to do an FTP test? I should also ask the really dumb newb question on my mind--I need to be able to get average power over a 20 minute time for a 20-min FTP test, right? I might also just be completely missing the point...

Help! Thanks.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: New Power Meter Help! [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2¢: get a true Garmin multisport watch. The sales are excellent now, and you can get a 735XT or refurb 935 for good prices. You invested in the pedals, so the watch would be a great complement.

Most apps can connect to your pedals over Bluetooth. But most apps will also end up with a subscription. I have been using TrainerRoad for years and love it. Before that, I was using the free version of the Kurt a kinetic app which does have a good ftp test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On your laptop you could use Goldencheetah, it's free. Really you need to find yourself a cheap used Garmin though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will automatically get your "best 20 min. avg.power" with Training Peaks (free). With simple math you can deduct your approximate FTP.
Usually the math is : 20' avg.power X .92 to.95
I don't know if TP can "read" your devices though.Many cheap bike head units read power. Like the Cycleops Joule, older Garmin Edge 500, O'Synce Navi2Coach, etc... These are dirt cheap and easily available on classifieds. The main drawback being unability to support updates from recent gadgets. But you will be able to upload your data on any platform, like Training Peaks, GoldenCHeetah, etc...

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Nov 16, 19 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use your phone for the FTP test. Use any app that displays/records power (I like the Wahoo one) and (after a warmup) just record a 20min. workout going as hard as you can. The average power is your FTP test result. You can also look at the graph of your power over time to see if you went out too hard and faded (i.e. you could probably get a better result with a steadier effort).

Longer term, either get a higher end Garmin watch that can record power (I swapped out my Vivoactive [1st gen]) for a Fenix5), or get a head unit for the bike.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply