Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Traveling on airplane with race wheels
Quote | Reply
I have a padded wheel bag, which seems ok, but what is your preferred method of traveling with race wheels on an airplane?

Open to suggestions - cardboard box? Take the padded case (which I think was designed for normal travel, not necessarily plane travel)?

Thanks in advance!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling on airplane with race wheels [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you traveling with a complete bike or just wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling on airplane with race wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wheels.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way I'd check wheels in a padded wheel bag.

Back in the day (pre 9/11) I used to put them in a garment bag and nicely ask the flight attendants to hang it with the coats in first class. Doubt that would work now.

Assuming you'll be checking them, the Biknd case (https://www.racycles.com/...YEAQYAiABEgKKQvD_BwE ) is an affordable option, and a Wheel Safe is the more secure (IMO) option: https://triall3sports.com/cases-bike.php

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy to take a single wheel as carry on. I do it all the time with my race disc because if I put it in the bike box I cannot use the anti crush pole.

I have taken many, many flights this way and never had a problem. Dimensionally it is a big bigger than airlines strictly allow, but I never had anybody complain about it. Fits in the overhead bins of all the large planes - 737 and above. Can be problematic on the small local planes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Traveled many, many times US domestic and International with wheels (inclusive of a disc) checked in Ruster Hen House wheel bag without issue. That said, I did custom cut some lexan sheets as extra side/poke protection.

If using a typical wheel bag mentioned one could go to Home Depot for a length of pipe insulation and wrap the edge of the wheel and beef up the sides with some cardboard pieces for not much money.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling on airplane with race wheels [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pipe insulation is a great idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a race trip last summer I put mine in Zipp wheel boxes (used for shipping, pretty sturdy). Marked "fragile", had to sign a release but the airline (United) put a "fragile" sticker on them which meant they got loaded on last, in theory. No issues. Because of airline status I didn't have to pay to check them.

Thought about trying the overhead bin thing (suggested above), but decided I didn't want to hassle with that and risk being denied by a zealous gate attendant.
Quote Reply
Re: Traveling on airplane with race wheels [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the Biknd case on RA Cycle. They were cheap: $55 for one bag, $110 for two. Something was wrong with the checkout procedure on that site. But I was able to order them directly from Biknd at the following link for same price: https://www.biknd.com/...nd-oxygen-wheel-case
Quote Reply