Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Thats great if a new cassette resolves it for you.
I thought for sure that it wasn't the cassette only because you mentioned in your first post that you tried both a second cassette and chain, and the issue persists. So do both your cassettes have bent teeth?

One suggestion - if you do get another cassette, get an Ultegra cassette instead. I've always found they run smoother than SRAM cassettes. Literally everyone I know that has SRAM components use shimano cassettes.

Cheers

Yeah, i'm stumped to why the old cassette was causing issues, and then wasn't once I tried again. The reason I run SRAM cassettes is because of the 16T cog. The 11-28 Shimanos dont have this and I find the jump from 15-17 annoying. They do run nicely though.
Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Shimano chains as well... the SRAM cassette and chains are pretty rough.
Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
And Shimano chains as well... the SRAM cassette and chains are pretty rough.

I've always used KMC or Wipperman chains mainly because of the quick link they come with. But I'm tempted to try a dura ace chain with the KMC quick link, which I understand -should- work OK....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will work fine, I run that combo all the time with the re-usable KMC quick-link. All the new Shimano chains now come with the non-reusable quick links as well, FYI.
Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
I thought for sure that it wasn't the cassette only because you mentioned in your first post that you tried both a second cassette and chain, and the issue persists. So do both your cassettes have bent teeth?

One suggestion - if you do get another cassette, get an Ultegra cassette instead. I've always found they run smoother than SRAM cassettes. Literally everyone I know that has SRAM components use shimano cassettes.

Cheers

Yeah, i'm stumped to why the old cassette was causing issues, and then wasn't once I tried again. The reason I run SRAM cassettes is because of the 16T cog. The 11-28 Shimanos dont have this and I find the jump from 15-17 annoying. They do run nicely though.
So you subscribe to the 16t Voodoo?
Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
CyclingClyde wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Cheers

So you subscribe to the 16t Voodoo?

Haha, yes I do! Mostly for the trainer since I use a "dumb" trainer and a lot of my intervals seem to fall into the 14-17T range.
Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another 16T voodoo believer here. I would much rather have a smaller percent jump in ratios higher in the range than Shimano's massive jump lower in the range.

Quote Reply
Re: Requesting Bike Mechanic Thoughts: Chain catching/skipping [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16t is my most used cog (via di2 stats)
Last edited by: iamuwere: Nov 18, 19 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you can mark the cassette were the chain is hanging up. Measure with a caliper around the cassette.

I'd be tempted to file a bit of clearance, its not catching much. Definitely a cassette issue, just a tight tolerance there and a bit of wobble.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next