Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm not here to talk about triathlons/tri bikes. Or even riding bicycles. I am looking for an indoor bike that doesn't entail 'trainer+bike'. I don't want to bring this to the other forum because I'm not 'training', I'm not 'riding', I'm exercising.

That out of the way, has anyone looked at and/or bought an indoor bike ala Peleton, NordicTrack, ProForm, Echelon? I'm looking for something that
1. has a decent flywheel/decently simulations road biking
2. some app for interactive/live/streaming classes and/or training rides (ie I'd love something with some TdF routes/climbs)
3. Ideally can be synced up with Apple tv/Chromecast or even wired to my tv

Probably looking at $1k-$1,500 but if there's a cheaper way to do it I wouldn't turn it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got 4 friends who went with a Peleton. So far, we've heard nothing but rave reviews on the bike and service. None have turned into expensive clothing racks, yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh I’m hoping to find a BF deal on one. My $20 yard sale bike requires the tv to be really loud which means others in my house wake up and come talk to me before I’ve had coffee.

One I’m curious about is the concept 2 bike erg.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Ooh I’m hoping to find a BF deal on one. My $20 yard sale bike requires the tv to be really loud which means others in my house wake up and come talk to me before I’ve had coffee.

Interesting, I hadn't seen the concept2 bike, that looks great! Pair that with zwift and now you have something close to the big $2k bikes.

Anyone use Zwift? I think I'd enjoy it (are there any maps based off real rides - TdF and the like?), wondering if my wife would (she'd definitely enjoy more of the interactive group training sessions that drive Peloton popularity).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Very loud. It's the same setup as their rowers, but pedal the chain instead of pulling it.

I'd look at the WattBike, but it seems pretty expensive in the US. Stages has a bike coming out next year. They already have a few bikes out now - IIRC they make more money on the gym bike side than power meter side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Interesting, I hadn't seen the concept2 bike, that looks great! Pair that with zwift and now you have something close to the big $2k bikes.

Anyone use Zwift? I think I'd enjoy it (are there any maps based off real rides - TdF and the like?), wondering if my wife would (she'd definitely enjoy more of the interactive group training sessions that drive Peloton popularity).

Zwift is based on their own designs. There are some real routes but it is a gaming program so it's not similar to the Rouvy, BKool, Sufferfest or others. Zwift will not give you exercises similar to Peleton.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being perfectly honest, other than space issues I am far too cheap to even consider buying an excerice bike.

I have a perfectly good trainer and bike which are both gathering dust in my garage.

Hey, anyone want a 2008 Cervelo P1?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
We've got 4 friends who went with a Peleton. So far, we've heard nothing but rave reviews on the bike and service. None have turned into expensive clothing racks, yet.

I've test rode the Peleton. It is a nice setup. And for $2500 it should be. I just can't quite wrap my head around that price.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Very loud. It's the same setup as their rowers, but pedal the chain instead of pulling it.

I'd look at the WattBike, but it seems pretty expensive in the US. Stages has a bike coming out next year. They already have a few bikes out now - IIRC they make more money on the gym bike side than power meter side.

Have you tried it first hand? Everything I have read is that it uses a belt instead of a chain and it’s quieter than the rower- but I have not seen one in person.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Being perfectly honest, other than space issues I am far too cheap to even consider buying an excerice bike.

I have a perfectly good trainer and bike which are both gathering dust in my garage.

Whoa there buddy.

Take that shit to the Classifieds forum.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Whoa there buddy.

Take that shit to the Classifieds forum.

Too many buyers over there. It would be more fun to try to sell it to a bunch of out-of-shape, former triathaloners.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
gotsand wrote:

I've test rode the Peleton. It is a nice setup. And for $2500 it should be. I just can't quite wrap my head around that price.

We have an older Schwinn spin bike that is a beast. One of their studio models when spinning first took off in gyms. We added a monthly peloton membership and run it through appletv and it works pretty well. We really do not care about the “social” aspect of the peloton scene, just appreciate a nice workout with good music and an engaged instructor.

A solid spin bike should be under $1500.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This bike is aluminum. Cervélo doesn't even make aluminum bikes any more. IT'S A FUCKING COLLECTORS ITEM!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
gotsand wrote:

Ditto...not only the cost but a monthly subscription just to use the thing.

The copycats I mentioned (Echelon, ProForm, NordicTrack) are cheaper and seem fairly comparable but each one comes with their own software for classes (live/on-demand, outdoors), I just don't know enough about them to know which are good and useful and which will lead to an expensive clothes hanger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got the Tacx Neo Bike Smart. It's not a bike+trainer, it's a bike trainer. It's super awesome but it's also over $3,000.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't race or do tri's anymore, just want to stay in shape.

I have a smart trainer with a older road bike on it and use zwift.

I can ride my trainer in the same room my wife is in doing conference calls for work, it's that quiet.

Zwift has enough worlds, courses, achievements to keep it fun and interesting.

Ask more questions if your want to know more.

To the guy with the old cervelo, I'll take it if you're giving it!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely want an exercise bike since I need it to fit 5’2”, 5’6” and 6’5” in the space of one bike.

But I’m curious about Zwift. Not that I’m telling my husband he needs salad instead of pizza- but he loves Strava - is it like an indoor strava? Is it all road biking or can you mountain bike course on it? If someone loves strava will zwift feed that indoors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Peloton ~2 years ago and have ridden it at least 3x/week every week since then. The classes and most of the instructors are good -- there are tons of different lengths and styles of rides (hills, HIIT, Tabata, etc.) and music choices. What I've found particularly good this year is the variety of both strength and stretching classes that are available right on the bike (or app). Most days after I ride, I'll stream a 5 or 10 minute stretching class onto a TV nearby. Keeps my hips and back happy and is excessively easy to start.

Worth every cent, in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift pairs with strava but it has it's own sections for PR"s, be they segments, sprints or hill climbs. It has pavement, dirt roads and now it's going to have mountain biking where you can actually steer your bike a bit.

It's very social like strava, you can keep track of your friends, people all over the world, biking at the same time as you and you can send group or private messages.

I could never stand to be on an indoor trainer and zwift changed all that. If you want to get faster, there's a ton of workouts or races. I just ride to keep my fitness until a warm day comes along and I jump outside, but I'm spoiled with the riding where I live.

If I was back in Rochester or Atlanta, I'd zwift even more.

I bet you could get by with one bike for the 5'2" and 5"6" but the 6'5" would need to switch to another bike, not a big issue if you have the bikes and they could all use the same cassette. If not, look at a smart bike that's zwift compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I definitely want an exercise bike since I need it to fit 5’2”, 5’6” and 6’5” in the space of one bike.

If you want one exercise bike to fit three people like that you should really look at the two main smart trainer bikes:

Tacx Neo Bike Smart
Wahoo KICKR Bike

Both are expensive but they are easily adjustable to an endless number of positions. Both use an up, down, back, and forth slider adjustment system for the bars and seat.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [atwist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//I got a Peloton ~2 years ago and have ridden it at least 3x/week every week since then. The classes and most of the instructors are good -- there are tons of different lengths and styles of rides (hills, HIIT, Tabata, etc.) and music choices. What I've found particularly good this year is the variety of both strength and stretching classes that are available right on the bike (or app). Most days after I ride, I'll stream a 5 or 10 minute stretching class onto a TV nearby. Keeps my hips and back happy and is excessively easy to start.

Worth every cent, in my opinion. //

I have a Peloton - agree with this. And l, since we are all competitive, one can’t help but push a bit with other class members.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [atwist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atwist wrote:
I got a Peloton ~2 years ago and have ridden it at least 3x/week every week since then. The classes and most of the instructors are good -- there are tons of different lengths and styles of rides (hills, HIIT, Tabata, etc.) and music choices. What I've found particularly good this year is the variety of both strength and stretching classes that are available right on the bike (or app). Most days after I ride, I'll stream a 5 or 10 minute stretching class onto a TV nearby. Keeps my hips and back happy and is excessively easy to start.

Worth every cent, in my opinion.

This. I love my Peloton. At least 3x a week. I was in Blep’s camp and just riding my trainer but nothing can replicate the classes and variety. It kicks my ass every time with the leaderboard etc.

Worth every dime.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone buy an EXERCISE bike? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

If you want one exercise bike to fit three people like that you should really look at the two main smart trainer bikes:

Tacx Neo Bike Smart
Wahoo KICKR Bike

Both are expensive but they are easily adjustable to an endless number of positions. Both use an up, down, back, and forth slider adjustment system for the bars and seat.

They look really cool- but for 2-3 days a week (I’m skiing weekends) 4 months a year and my $20 yard sale bike being almost okay I’m trying to stay closer to the $1k range and I use the basement gym more than the others. That’s why the concept 2 one interested me- because you can try the apps, but it’s 1/3 of the cost. (I want a rip row as well more than a super fancy bike).
Quote Reply