Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: kickr core vs saris h3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a month of Zwift on my H3 and its pretty solid- no issues.
Quote Reply
New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New H3 Knocking Noise Problem
Well I loved the new H3 for the first 15 hrs until it started to make a loud knocking sound both while pedaling & coasting. Seems that other users are having the same problem now. Here’s a new youtube video showing the same problem as my trainer. Extremely disappointing & infuriating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk0VhT7lLug
Quote Reply
Re: New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [dbaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you contacted their support? What have they said??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a warranty issue, let Saris know
Quote Reply
Re: New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12-16-2019 Update
I was contacted by Saris Support very shortly after contacting them.
They do not know what causes the knocking noise problem yet.
They are sending a replacement while I keep riding the original unit.
Once I get the new trainer it will be sent back to Saris for them to study.

They said that riding the noisy unit will not damage it. Not sure how they know that.
So Saris Support was fast & easy to deal with.
I hope the new trainer doesn’t develop the same noise.
Some folks have gone thru 3 new trainers to get one that works.
Other folks have had no problems at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same issue, and just got a replacement that so far does not have the issue. Super easy to work with, but a little frustrated this happened. I saw some chatter on the TR forum that the issue might have been caused by a smooth pulley slipping on the belt, and roughing the pulley surface eliminated the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there are 2 issues with the H3.
One is the pulley noise where their is a fix.
The other is the knocking noise where the fix is unknown.
Glad to hear your replacement unit is good so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if Saris have fixed:

-the knocking issue
-the cadence and high sprint overshoots

Before I take the plunge
Quote Reply
Re: New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [revo2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My latest correspondence the last couple days tells me the knocking issue is still mysterious.

I have about 1500 miles on mine purchased direct early December. Maybe 2 weeks silent. Then the knocking began.

Knocking seems independent of speed. It seems to happen begonning roughly 1 hour at ~200 watts. I believe its heat related and may never appear at low wattage.

I have a replacement here but over the past 3 days or so I habe not heard the noise. I offered to trouble shoot myself but since they dont know they just replaced.

I did a workout today at 40 repeats over 400 watts and it never knocked.

Again the knock seems independent of speed and cadence. I believe it only shows under a minimum heat condition. Mine seems to have "broken in" and no longer knocks. And now I have a brand new unit to try!

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saris replaced my original H3 in less than a week after contacting them at no charge even though I purchased it online thru an Amazon shop.

Mechanical-
I now have 25hrs on my replacement H3 & no problems with anything.
Ny original H3 started knocking after 15hrs.
The last firmware update, I think it was in December, fixed cadence (as far as I can tell) & some power issues.
I use the H3 in Zwift for both Erg Workouts & just riding the routes.
I don't use the H3 for speed.

Firmware-
There is still a power lag in certain situations of about 4-5 seconds that really bugs me.
I'm not sure if it happens in Trainer Road but it does in Zwift.
My previous Kickr Snap had a 2 second delay which was a good transition.

Erg Mode-When power changes, it takes 4-5 seconds for the previous power load to change to the new power load.
This happens both going from high to low power & high to low power.

Simulation Mode-If you are riding certain routes on Zwift that have short up & down hills that correspond to the 4-5 second delay, you find your self pushing minimum power up the hill & maximum power down the hill which is a really weird feeling.
Last edited by: dbaird: Jan 18, 20 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the feedback - That's the first I've heard of delay under ERG, GPLama and DCrainmaker both report its the best on any trainer under ERG for response. I'm coming from a Neo (5 years old, 1700+ hours), and am very used to a 3 second delay, and huge lump of power at start of transition, but am fed up with the chain stretch feeling under load with the Neo, which seems to be getting worse (It has now given up its ghost at higher cadence).

has IndrSplst had any further feedback over the Winter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding on the H3 for a few weeks now I think, and so far no real issues, but I do get the power lag sometimes, where it will take 10 seconds before it responds to an interval in TR, but then also extends the interval for the same amount of time. That said, I had the exact same issue with a kickr core, so perhaps it is a trainer road issue on my iphone, not sure. Also, I notice that unplugging the trainer and restarting trainer road, sometimes resolves it.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr core vs saris h3 [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also chiming in as someone who recently had their H3 replaced. Starting having a clicking sound from the trainer and it also felt like I was riding over cobbles - as if power was adjusting 10-15 times a second - so not an even power distribution. I also had power about 10% lower on the trainer vs my Power2Max power meter after this happened. Saris sent me a new one, and after two rides it seems 'normal.' Hope it isn't a repeat process of the first trainer.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: New H3 Knocking Noise Problem [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Initial feedback after a few rides on H3;

- Its super smooth; you really feel the weight of that flywheel spinning up
- Its super quiet (for the moment) only noise coming from chain (fans are nosier)
- Spin down calibration is very straightforward and works on Saris App and on Zwift directly
- ERG mode is very nice, transition between efforts is good
- Sim Mode; I'm getting very delayed SIM gradient feedback (very noticeable on rolling hills) where the resistance is almost inverted, hard down, up easy; although i managed to ride to it, its somewhat confusing first time
- Super stable in the sprint
- I've a Velorocks rockerplate and this was a little tricky getting it positioned as weight of H3 is offset to left (from rear), and legs tied down with feet on the plate

Has anyone fed back the SIM resistance to Saris and had feedback? I will raise a ticket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A general dumb question:

If I run my H3 in Zwift workout mode 99% of the time, do I really need to spin-down calibrate it? My power source is my Quarq PM and I calibrate it every so often. Since Zwift "power-matches" the trainer resistance to PM output, does it really matter what the H3 power readings are?

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next