Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Sean English
Quote | Reply
After a hard fought, years long battle against cancer, Sean English passed away today.

I haven’t raced triathlon in a few years, but he was such an ever present personality in the community and on social media. As I look at his FB account now, he has almost 3000 friends, and it seems that all of them have posted about their relationship with him.

To me, he was synonymous with Rev3 racing. In fact, my clearest memory of one of their races is coming down the finish chute at Poconos, and him rocking out as the MC at the finish line, ready to high five me, smiling and laughing, with his long hair hanging out the back of his flat brimmed hat, and sunglasses on.

On FB he loved to talk about random acts of kindness, and man, that says a lot about someone that while he is fighting cancer, what he wants to see more of in the world is kindness.

The world could use more people like Sean English.

Fuck Cancer.

----
@adamwfurlong
Last edited by: afurlong: Nov 15, 19 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck Cancer

We’ve lost a great one, you’ll be sorely missed Sean.

May your family and friends find peace in this shitty time. Sighs just sighs

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He will be missed.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean has been fighting cancer for a few years, and he has definitely been through a tough battle!. He constantly posted videos of him talking about his treatment, and how it was going, or not going. Through all of it he was positive, and he finished each segment with something along the lines of "have the best day you can, as I know am" and keep doing those random acts of kindness, it makes a difference on act at a time!

Sean was a great guy, full of life, and encouraging to us as triathletes, and just as people. Many people on ST knew Sean, and he will be missed.

RIP my friend, will never forget you and will keep doing the Random Acts of Kindness in your memory!!!
Last edited by: clydecat: Nov 15, 19 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only knew Sean from the Kona Slowtwitch Party, and he always projected happiness. Steve Fleck, thinking of you! Steve and Sean had great chemistry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Horrible news. Sean was an awesome presence at the Kona party last month. Makes it seem so quick.

RIP Sean

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
Horrible news. Sean was an awesome presence at the Kona party last month. Makes it seem so quick.

RIP Sean

I guess that was the guy who stayed moderating after departure of Steve Fleck?
Indeed shocking. Must have been hard for him listening to that blond girl who survived cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fuck cancer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all--

A front page article about Sean will be going up later today.

We invite everyone to share their stories about Sean here. We'll be linking to this thread from that article so that we can continue the oral history and legacy he's left.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

RIP Sean

Indeed shocking. Must have been hard for him listening to that blond girl who survived cancer.
Actually, both Sean and Bren Wilhite (woman who was fighting and hopefully surviving cancer) are part of the F*ck Cancer foundation.
Bren's trip to Kona and VIP experience all week was a wish granted her via the "Dying2Live" program of the foundation.
They're really close, and Sean was so excited that Bren was with them all week.
If anyone is interested, there's an F*Cancer Endurance Club (formerly Tri Club.) The membership/ fundraising goals are modest, and it's a fun group of athletes.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne,

Thanks for the kind words.

Sean was indeed a one-of-a-kind. We had a great time Emceeing the last three editions of the annual Kona Slowtwitch Party together.

Ryan Heisler asked me to contribute to the eulogy article that will be posted up later today on the front page - my expanded thoughts and remembrances can be read there when it is up.

RIP - Sean.

#FuckCancer

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was fun to meet Bren and make this happen in NY. Everyone should give it a listen.
https://www.facebook.com/...eos/962407437453810/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our front page story is live: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...Final_Call_7492.html

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Birdmantris wrote:

RIP Sean

Sean was always so excited to celebrate with me when I had my clear cancer check ups. I know he celebrated with everyone who has had cancer, hearing about those like myself who had (so far) defeated it).

Here's a tribute post to Sean I posted on my Facebook page yesterday:

This is for you Sean English!! RIP brother. I love you and miss you so much already! Yesterday I lost a friend to kidney cancer. For those of you who knew Sean, you knew what a presence he was, what an encouragement he was to everyone around him, that he rarely complained about his unfortunate situation the past few years, and that he always was super grateful for everyone's support. He was a true, stubborn fighter, and he didn't accept his diagnosis well. He loved life too much, and he wasn't wanting to leave us yet. That's why he fought to the very end. I wanted to share a few memorable memories that I have with Sean. My friendship with Sean goes back to about 2008 when we both lived in Santa Barbara. I was getting into the triathlon scene there after college. Sean worked at Hazards bike shop, and he was the race announcer at all the local races. In 2009, I told him I wanted to become a pro triathlete. I think he thought it was a long shot, and rightfully so. My first funny memory of Sean was hearing him yell at me from the microphone after I collapsed at the finish of the 2009 Santa Barbara triathlon. I had lost my water bottles on the bike after hitting pot holes, and was quite dehydrated, and by the end of the 10 mile run, I was literally running on fumes. I collapsed in the sand at the finish line (2nd photo). I remember being half out of it laying in the sand, but could still hear Sean saying some pretty funny comments about me. I remember he said something about how I was totally covered in sand and looked like a mess! A few years later I found myself racing around the county in various pro triathlon races. He was always there calling me home across the finish line. One race that I remember vividly was the REVOLUTION3 Triathlon (REV3TRI) Knoxville, TN race (2nd picture). He was always dancing in the announcers booth, blasting the tunes. Sean loved to be behind the microphone. He loved to encourage people get across the finish line. And Sean was darn good as his job. He was hired to MC many of the biggest races around the country. After I sopped racing triathlons as much, I didn't run into Sean much for a handful of years. We didn't talk much for years, until he was diagnosed with cancer. He had seen that I had gotten diagnosed with bladder cancer about a year prior, and he messaged me through Facebook, saying he was scared, and he wanted to chat with sometime who too had been told they had cancer. He hadn't told hardly anyone yet, had not made it public, but wanted to talk with me. From late 2016 til now, we talked a lot, and regularly. I just listened to a voicemail he left me on 9/2/16, that I've had saved on my phone ever since. He wanted to talk, and was just given the clear to start the oncology journey (he had to wait a few months until he was physically healed enough as his tumor had fractured a bone (in his spine I believe). In his voicemail he said "It’s His plan. It’s up to Him. It’s about what that I do with what He gives me." God gave him a bit over 3 more years since that day, and Sean went on a mission to spread a simple message during the time he had left. It was about doing random acts of kindness, any time, any where, for anyone. For 3 years Sean posted videos about the importance of random acts of kindness and how they can make a difference in others' lives. I remember one day in early 2017, talking for over an hour on the phone with Sean in my car. I was struggling with fear of my cancer recurring. That man's cancer was a million times worse than mine, and he encouraged me for half an hour straight, with pure positivity. What a joy to have Sean in my life. In October of 2017, I got to see Sean and sit with him for over an hour in Kona, HI watching the Ironman world championships finish with him (1st picture). He was quite sick, but was still in his booth overlooking the road the athletes were running on, about a half mile from the finish line, microphone in hand, cheering on the athletes (and saying lots of funny jokes to them). If was tough to see him in that state, but amazing to sit with him and talk in person. I am grateful to have had some good, deep conversations with Sean the past few years of his life. As I tear up writing this, I want to say thank you Sean for loving people so much, for fighting so hard and inspiring so many, and for always being so darn grateful. I miss you a ton, and look forward to seeing you again some day up above! RIP Sean English. Love you brother!

Ryan Borger - Denver, CO: Realtor. Former pro triathlete/coach. Cancer survivor. podiumproperties.com
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sean English [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is just a very small story about my own connection to Sean English, a huge personality in our triathlon family.

I decided that Wildflower 2018 would be my first triathlon finish after my cancer journey in 2017. When my friend Ryan Heisler saw that I was doing that race he told me to look for Sean English there. I had not met Sean before and did not know about his cancer journey. Well I got to Wildflower, met Sean and we shared our journey. Let me say this — triathlon is an ohana we are blessed to be part of, but cancer is also a different kind of ohana. One we’d all rather not be a member of. But it is a deep bond, with thoughts and fears that I can’t even put into words. Wildflower has its own place in my heart but Sean at the microphone all weekend made it an experience that surpassed all my expectations. Each time I saw him that weekend and especially on race day I knew that he understood just how much the experience meant to me. I crossed paths with Sean several times after that and knew his journey was so much tougher than mine.

One of my last contacts with Sean was in Kona this October at the Parade of Nations. The commentary was beyond entertaining and I laughed from that place deep inside that is just about having fun.

God bless you Sean, and your family. I hope to be a better person because of you.
Last edited by: NJIronMom: Nov 15, 19 17:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
After a hard fought, years long battle against cancer, Sean English passed away today.

I haven’t raced triathlon in a few years, but he was such an ever present personality in the community and on social media. As I look at his FB account now, he has almost 3000 friends, and it seems that all of them have posted about their relationship with him.

To me, he was synonymous with Rev3 racing. In fact, my clearest memory of one of their races is coming down the finish chute at Poconos, and him rocking out as the MC at the finish line, ready to high five me, smiling and laughing, with his long hair hanging out the back of his flat brimmed hat, and sunglasses on.

On FB he loved to talk about random acts of kindness, and man, that says a lot about someone that while he is fighting cancer, what he wants to see more of in the world is kindness.

The world could use more people like Sean English.

Fuck Cancer.

I had a nice long talk with Sean at the Slowtwitch Kona Party in 2018. He was still amazingly positive all things considered. I took a lot away from that discussion. RIP Sean, you will be missed.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply