Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dealing with a Tri Cheat [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I confronted a guy that I noticed cutting the course on the run at a tri. I didn't chew his ass. I just asked him if he cut the course. I also reported him to the RD. I don't think the RD did anything. The guy died within the past couple of years. He was a perennial competitor on the local scene and was well liked. I did a Google search probably to find his obituary and ended up finding that he had done a couple of stints in federal prison for fraud.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with a Tri Cheat [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Waingro wrote:
I always hate when the contrarians on here say things like “worry about you.”

I agree, it’s an odd mentality and you have to think to what point would a person like that ignore bad shit strangers do. Walk past a fight, let dicks park in disabled spots, do nothing to stop a shoplifter... you don’t have to be Dirty Harry, but standing by with your thumb up your arse while people cheat, steal and do bad shit is shit.

It's not an odd mentality.

It's REALITY.

Seriously, what does all your complaining, worrying, anger and frustration about such a triathlon cheater get you? So you report the guy. 9/10 NOTHING happens because it's your word vs his/hers unless there is camera evidence or really egregious cheating going on. Even if there IS corroborated cheating, if the time saved isn't that big, 9/10 the RD doesn't do squat about it.

Gotta keep things in perspective, and save your energy and anger for the moments in life where it matters a lot and you can make a real difference, or if there is real hazard involved. There are countless MUCH more consequential things to complain and make a big fuss over than AG triathlon, at least to me, and I take my results super seriously. I just don't let other bad behavior have as much impact whenever possible, which means judging myself by USAT scores rather than my relative placement for the day, and realizing that AG wins are nice but for me more a matter of who shows up than my performance for the day.

An RD 3 years ago forgot to include same-day 10k registrants in the final results of his race I ran where I took 2nd overall, which should have gotten me a $50 running store gift certificate (I know, not much money but I'm slow enough that ANY prize is sweet to me!) I even told his assistants on the podium when he gave the award away that he made a mistake, and I was 2nd overall, and he said he'd have to look into it after all the awards were given out. Needless to say, I didn't get anything that day, but the RD apologized for his mistake and fixed the online race results - again, bigger fish to fry than making a fuss, even if real money was involved in this screwup.

By this logic, it is a waste of energy to get upset over anything except world hunger....

Also, you can report something without getting emotionally invested or wasting energy about it. Just because a RD won't do anything about isn't reason to let it go. It's actually all the more reason to report it in my opinion, reminds the RD that they have tasks other than organizing a race and collecting money.

If you truly are doing races with apathetic RD, maybe it's time for you all to vote with your money at other races where the RD might actually care about the integrity of the race they put on.
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with a Tri Cheat [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
lightheir wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I agree, it’s an odd mentality and you have to think to what point would a person like that ignore bad shit strangers do. Walk past a fight, let dicks park in disabled spots, do nothing to stop a shoplifter... you don’t have to be Dirty Harry, but standing by with your thumb up your arse while people cheat, steal and do bad shit is shit.

It's REALITY.

Seriously, what does all your complaining, worrying, anger and frustration about such a triathlon cheater get you? So you report the guy. 9/10 NOTHING happens because it's your word vs his/hers unless there is camera evidence or really egregious cheating going on. Even if there IS corroborated cheating, if the time saved isn't that big, 9/10 the RD doesn't do squat about it.

I wouldn't get angry or get my knickers in a twist I would simply confront him and/or report him. A guy in my age group, Mark Robson, Australia's answer to Julie Miller cheated and got away with it for years. Winning races, going to the 70.3 and ITU world champs after continually cutting the course, depriving the genuine winners of their spot on the podium and their chance at going to the world champs. I had no idea who this spanner was until he got banned. And it transpired that loads of people knew what was going on and either chose to ignore it or pretend it wasn't happening. He's a gumby swimmer, would be lucky to go under 35mins for a 70.3 then he goes 22min for a 70.3, won an award for fastest AG swim (he "beat" most of the pros) and most of his club mates slapped him on the back for his performance.

The very reason he was allowed to carry on cheating was because of the people's apathy. You don't have to get angry and lose sleep over it, but do something about it.

Are you telling me, in this situation, you would do nothing about his blatant cheating and allow him to carry on doing this for years?

You were quite right in calling him out when he did Ultraman Florida and it was interesting that they let him race after they had been specifically informed about his past.Ultraman is an invitation only event so they could have decided not to consider him as they did in Australia and Canada.I was the one who contacted the Ultra-tri community about him and in the end he got all the bad press that he deserved.A Bing search of "Mark Robson Cheater" reveals a long list of media articles about his exploits...………...

…….. and the fucker is a cheating Pommie bastard,just to set the record straight. :-)

https://www.watoday.com.au/...20180124-h0nm0x.html
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 14, 19 18:11
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with a Tri Cheat [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
lightheir wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Waingro wrote:

It's REALITY.

I wouldn't get angry or get my knickers in a twist I would simply confront him and/or report him. A guy in my age group, Mark Robson, Australia's answer to Julie Miller cheated and got away with it for years. Winning races, going to the 70.3 and ITU world champs after continually cutting the course, depriving the genuine winners of their spot on the podium and their chance at going to the world champs. I had no idea who this spanner was until he got banned. And it transpired that loads of people knew what was going on and either chose to ignore it or pretend it wasn't happening. He's a gumby swimmer, would be lucky to go under 35mins for a 70.3 then he goes 22min for a 70.3, won an award for fastest AG swim (he "beat" most of the pros) and most of his club mates slapped him on the back for his performance.

The very reason he was allowed to carry on cheating was because of the people's apathy. You don't have to get angry and lose sleep over it, but do something about it.

Are you telling me, in this situation, you would do nothing about his blatant cheating and allow him to carry on doing this for years?

You were quite right in calling him out when he did Ultraman Florida and it was interesting that they let him race after they had been specifically informed about his past.Ultraman is an invitation only event so they could have decided not to consider him as they did in Australia and Canada.I was the one who contacted the Ultra-tri community about him and in the end he got all the bad press that he deserved.A Bing search of "Mark Robson Cheater" reveals a long list of media articles about his exploits...………...

…….. and the fucker is a cheating Pommie bastard,just to set the record straight. :-)

https://www.watoday.com.au/...20180124-h0nm0x.html

haha yeah I know he's English. Got quite a chequred past in England too. The local ragm The West Australian (who he used to work for) ran a few articles about him, included a front page! He's quite a unwell person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote zedzded

haha yeah I know he's English. Got quite a chequred past in England too. The local ragm The West Australian (who he used to work for) ran a few articles about him, included a front page! He's quite a unwell person.[/quote]
It is getting to the stage where there are more and more of these folks and I see three camps in the world.
1: Those who believe totally without question.
2: Those who disbelieve without question.
3:Those who do some research before making up their minds.

It always seems that those in group 3 cop the most shit when they get around to voicing their opinion.

Like that poor bastard who is in the media right for "running a marathon" in every country in the world. You have those who immediately believe the press and think "holy crap he is awesome" and that is it. You have those who immediately think "no fucking way he did that" and that is it.Then you have those who have asked for GPS/Strava/Garmin/Spot Tracker data and those folks are thrown to the wolves as "assholes who probably have never done anything in their lives". It is fascinating stuff.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 14, 19 18:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
It is getting to the stage where there are more and more of these folks and I see three camps in the world.

It always seems that those in group 3 cop the most shit when they get around to voicing their opinion.

Like that poor bastard who is in the media right for "running a marathon" in every country in the world. You have those who immediately believe the press and think "holy crap he is awesome" and that is it. You have those who immediately think "no fucking way he did that" and that is it.Then you have those who have asked for GPS/Strava/Garmin/Spot Tracker data and those folks are thrown to the wolves as "assholes who probably have never done anything in their lives". It is fascinating stuff.

Yeah I watched Iron Cowboy, that was hectic....totally insane and as harsh as some of the comments were, they were right to pull him up on the use of the elliptical.
Last edited by: zedzded: Nov 14, 19 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

Yeah I watched Iron Cowboy, that was hectic....totally insane and as harsh as some of the comments were, they were right to pull him up on the use of the elliptical.

I haven't seen that show yet but IronCowboy himself told me he was including me in his documentary after putting me in his book.The outrage I have received since that show came out on Netflix is worse than anything I could get on ST.Interestingly though James and I came to an impasse years ago and I message him every now and then to see how he is doing.We get along just fine but those people savaging me online for questioning him don't realise that .Hell I even messaged him about Ashely Horner and asked him to contact her to lend assistance but he was one step ahead of me.I have more respect for James now on a personal level than I thought possible as he could have gone a very different way with me but he was the better man and I appreciate that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
zedzded wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:

What was your role in the doco?

I could see how people criticizing the Iron Cowboy could be pilloried. He's doing this amazing thing and raising money for charity....having a go at him is like shooting Bambi. But you're out there doing this thing, very public on social media, you need to dot the i's and cross the t's. It would be unrealistic to expect him not to have a drip, but yeah the s/b/r had to be that. Not swim, bike, elliptical. If he gets injured, challenge over. To his credit, he took the criticism on board and changed things around.

I haven't seen that show yet but IronCowboy himself told me he was including me in his documentary after putting me in his book.The outrage I have received since that show came out on Netflix is worse than anything I could get on ST.Interestingly though James and I came to an impasse years ago and I message him every now and then to see how he is doing.We get along just fine but those people savaging me online for questioning him don't realise that .Hell I even messaged him about Ashely Horner and asked him to contact her to lend assistance but he was one step ahead of me.I have more respect for James now on a personal level than I thought possible as he could have gone a very different way with me but he was the better man and I appreciate that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To his credit, he took the criticism on board and changed things around.

-------

What did he change?

Does he still take credit for doing 50/50, or did he re-do it that I've never heard of?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Dealing with a Tri Cheat [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
To his credit, he took the criticism on board and changed things around.

-------

What did he change?

Does he still take credit for doing 50/50, or did he re-do it that I've never heard of?

He didn't do any more stuff on the elliptical. As far as I know.

I thought it was a pretty amazing feat. I tried not to think too much about it because I didn't want to have a negative attitude. In saying that, I guess I was a bit confused as to what his main goals were. Was it raising money for charity? Or was it simply about him? I kind of felt it might have been the latter and the raising money for charity thing was more of a bonus, a way of getting more credibility plus a way of getting some fame and attention? It's also in some way gave him some level of "protection" - you can't criticise anyone raising money for charity, period. People are very quick to label someone a "hater" or "troll" for criticising a public figure...

I think they raised $68K in 50 days. I would imagine there would be more effective ways to raise money for charity and the cost of supporting him, his family and the crew for 50 days surely would have gone way over $68k. But anyway, he did something that 99% of the population couldn't or wouldn't do...
Quote Reply

Prev Next