Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fit in a BQ attempt marathon with two 70.3s next year? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As in my response to the OP, I'm inclined to think that you can have your cake and eat it too. For most of the block, double the running in your normal triathlon training and cut the bike/swim just enough to accommodate. Don't let swim or bike workouts destroy your energy levels, but you don't have to keep it all easy either if you're feeling good -- if you are running sometimes on bike-tired legs, that's not bad training for a marathon. If you are on the verge of a run injury, cut back running for a week and quiet your mind with some hard work on the bike or in the pool (for me this is really valuable psychologically, if nothing else). Make your training increasingly run-specific in the 6 weeks leading up to the marathon. Do #ST100in100 -- it's exactly the spirit of run training you want to make marathon training compatible with triathlon -- focus on consistency and frequency, but still leaves space for the other sports.

Consider a hypothetical triathlon halfway between a 70.3 and a standalone marathon (say, swim 1k/bike 45k/run 30k). I think if you train for that hypothetical race well, then you'll actually be in damn good shape to race a standalone marathon. And you're in really good position afterwards to shift gears back into 70.3 training without having lost too much ground on the swim and bike.
Last edited by: twcronin: Nov 14, 19 20:44
Quote Reply
Re: Fit in a BQ attempt marathon with two 70.3s next year? [epg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
epg0 wrote:

I think the only reason why I didn't consider it was being in Chicago, I'd have to fly somewhere warm.

You say that like it’s a bad thing...
Quote Reply
Re: Fit in a BQ attempt marathon with two 70.3s next year? [epg0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly treadmill ran to qualify for Boston in June. And did a 4.5 hour swimrun race in April (4th place mixed) and an almost 8 hour swimrun race in September (again 4th place mixed)
Quote Reply
Re: Fit in a BQ attempt marathon with two 70.3s next year? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I've done it before, but the 70.3s have to have their own build. In 2017, I did:
  • Ottawa Marathon: May 28 - BQ
  • Muskoka 70.3: July 9 - Not the greatest race for me
  • Atlantic City 70.3 - Sept 28 - PB, great race.

With only 6 weeks between Ottawa and Muskoka, I didn't feel like Muskoka was the greatest race. I prioritized running in the spring to get my BQ, and didn't pay enough attention to the bike for Muskoka. Living in Ottawa, I have similar/worse weather vs Chicago.

The other option is to do the Marathon after the 70.3s. This year I did the NYC marathon about 9 or 10 weeks after Maine 70.3, and I PB'd both races. Though I'm not sure that schedule works for you if you're aiming for a BQ in 2021.

You're over thinking it.......worrying about recover periods between races, burnout, contemplating just completing events, etc.

You're at an age where you're pretty much at your endurance peak. The races are well spaced. Life is short. Just race everything hard, enjoy yourself and see what it brings. Hopefully a BQ!
Quote Reply
Re: Fit in a BQ attempt marathon with two 70.3s next year? [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
As in my response to the OP, I'm inclined to think that you can have your cake and eat it too. For most of the block, double the running in your normal triathlon training and cut the bike/swim just enough to accommodate. Don't let swim or bike workouts destroy your energy levels, but you don't have to keep it all easy either if you're feeling good -- if you are running sometimes on bike-tired legs, that's not bad training for a marathon. If you are on the verge of a run injury, cut back running for a week and quiet your mind with some hard work on the bike or in the pool (for me this is really valuable psychologically, if nothing else). Make your training increasingly run-specific in the 6 weeks leading up to the marathon. Do #ST100in100 -- it's exactly the spirit of run training you want to make marathon training compatible with triathlon -- focus on consistency and frequency, but still leaves space for the other sports.

Consider a hypothetical triathlon halfway between a 70.3 and a standalone marathon (say, swim 1k/bike 45k/run 30k). I think if you train for that hypothetical race well, then you'll actually be in damn good shape to race a standalone marathon. And you're in really good position afterwards to shift gears back into 70.3 training without having lost too much ground on the swim and bike.

Thanks - this is helpful. My last marathon training block barely had any cross training. This should help start building the tri base without the mundane marathon only training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next