Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
We are conservative

Your opinion means nothing in the LR. Please just keep paying your taxes and shut up.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
velocomp wrote:
We are conservative

Your opinion means nothing in the LR. Please just keep paying your taxes and shut up.

Meh. Typical.
Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [JacobB1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JacobB1111 wrote:
Runguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Not a good outlook if nothing changes;

"If the world continues to produce the same amount of carbon emissions, a child born today could be living in a world with an average temperature that's 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) warmer by their 71st birthday, according to the report, published Wednesday in the medical journal The Lancet.

On any given day, a 7.2-degree difference might not sound like much, but as an average increase in temperature, it would be devastating for our health.

A warmer world means more disease, famine, early death from natural disasters such as fire and heat waves, and more major mental health problems. Everyone will be affected, but the most vulnerable will be disproportionately threatened: children, the elderly, people with underlying health conditions and the poor."

https://www.cnn.com/...lth-study/index.html

or consider the nominal warming is a good thing, more vegetation, even more food production and the possibility that the climate control noob may be more than just carbon as that is the assumption of all these climate models (which by the way do a pretty poor job of predicting temps when compared to actual measurements.)

Kinda like how your grammar does a pretty poor job of conveying facts instead of opinions?

#noob
or how you have no valid arguments to my post. what facts do you THINK are not true and please impress me with your mental superiority
Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
JacobB1111 wrote:
Runguy wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Not a good outlook if nothing changes;

"If the world continues to produce the same amount of carbon emissions, a child born today could be living in a world with an average temperature that's 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) warmer by their 71st birthday, according to the report, published Wednesday in the medical journal The Lancet.

On any given day, a 7.2-degree difference might not sound like much, but as an average increase in temperature, it would be devastating for our health.

A warmer world means more disease, famine, early death from natural disasters such as fire and heat waves, and more major mental health problems. Everyone will be affected, but the most vulnerable will be disproportionately threatened: children, the elderly, people with underlying health conditions and the poor."

https://www.cnn.com/...lth-study/index.html

or consider the nominal warming is a good thing, more vegetation, even more food production and the possibility that the climate control noob may be more than just carbon as that is the assumption of all these climate models (which by the way do a pretty poor job of predicting temps when compared to actual measurements.)

Kinda like how your grammar does a pretty poor job of conveying facts instead of opinions?

#noob
or how you have no valid arguments to my post. what facts do you THINK are not true and please impress me with your mental superiority

Climate models do not assume that co2 is the only thing that affects the climate. Methane, CFCs, the sun, land use changes, and water vapor are all considered. Other factors are conaidered as well.

By creating a model using actual physics, scientists can learn a lot about how the system behaves. The climate control knob is much more complicated than just carbon and scientists know this. And through this same analysis, it has been confirmed that what humans are doing to co2 levels is affecting the climate in a big way. That is a fact, as well as the fact that there are many "knobs".

Are you impressed?
Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you believe we are doomed, nuclear reactors that power electric vehicles is the only feasible solution. If you don't support nuclear because of some unfounded safety/waste risks (which have been all but solved) you're not serious about fixing the climate. Solar/wind are variable, unreliable and take up way too much space.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
Not so sure that I'll have grandchildren at this point, as neither of my kids seem interested, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that future world is not going to be a very nice place. The year 2100 is not a place where I'd want to be.

This post caught me as interesting. What is it that you are doing/telling your kids that have them not wanting to have children when they grow up? Is it you, schools, environment, government??? I have a daughter, and I think she is well adjusted. She dreams of growing up, going to college, being successful, raising a family, just like her parents have. I know that is how I thought and was raised and the same with my wife. It's just what we were taught.

I'm sure there is some psychology about this and I have heard news stories about millennials not wanting families, etc. So I'm not picking on you, just asking if you have any thoughts on the reasons for your children's thoughts on this.

Maybe it's politics. We are conservative and feel that there is a lot of good in our world. I know many on the left that feel that the world is going to hell and is not a place they want to live.

Why conservatives are grateful

https://nationalpost.com/...hs-attract-diversity

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To think we have a responsibility for children not yet born and to live in intergeneration time. I'm not sure it's logical but I like it. So metaphysical.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Climate Change and Your Kids [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:
bradword wrote:
One thing I find interesting is that 5 years ago, the alarmists were saying like 1 degree in the next 50 years and it would be world ending. I think they felt that people didn't seem to care much, now all the sudden it's 7+? I do think that humans are accelerating climate change, but I don't think most of the things that people say we need to do are going to do squat, I put my trust in technology, innovation, and human ingenuity. The biggest lie being spread is that this is a personal problem, that we can individually do anything about this. It's a country problem (India, China) and a corporate problem. Buying a Tesla or putting in LED bulbs isn't doing to do anything.
It's a miracle given the realities of life in the previous centuries... disease, squalor, famine, plague, ignorance, infant mortality life expectancy and no technology and little communication.... we were some how able to overcome and develop to where we are at now but somehow ( pick your model and theorized apocalyptic predictions, this is some kind of existential crisis because of a yet to be determined global temperature increase over a yet to be determined period of time with yet to be known ramifications and absolutely no realistic solution because it's global ) although the only ramifications I have heard have been con. So much so to warrant immediate action with demonstrable negative impact on people... the most on poor people and poor and developing countries. I am not a climate change denier... that would be ludicrous. I am a deep political solution skeptic. https://ourworldindata.org/...nditions-in-5-charts

Well said, thank you. From my viewpoint, most people do not plan well for anything, they are more focused on the present. Introducing things that are immediately negative will always be hard, even if there is a clear demonstrable future benefit. People can believe the climate is changing in a negative direction, but to accept a change today, they may have to grasp a specific magnitude of change with some degree of certainty.

Personally, I don't see politics providing the solution, I see entrepreneurs tackling the problem. There is a lot of progress already on improving energy efficiency, which reduces carbon output.

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next