Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Categories and Marketing
Quote | Reply
So, when looking for a shoe or group of shoes to put on my old feet I have to say...what?

AlyraD and I were chatting about this offline because I was talking to him about my last run in the Carbon Rockets and asked if he was going to grab the CarbonX and he said no. He explained to me, and I tend to agree with his assertion that Hoka has done a rough job of explaining how their own shoes fit into the categories clearly...so if anyone has a spreadsheet out there that would make this clearer for me I'll take it.

You've got the regular line of road shoes, then you've got the pro-fly...but what's the real difference between the Clifton and the Elevon...why should I have one or the other, should I have both...etc etc.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, when looking for a shoe or group of shoes to put on my old feet I have to say...what?

AlyraD and I were chatting about this offline because I was talking to him about my last run in the Carbon Rockets and asked if he was going to grab the CarbonX and he said no. He explained to me, and I tend to agree with his assertion that Hoka has done a rough job of explaining how their own shoes fit into the categories clearly...so if anyone has a spreadsheet out there that would make this clearer for me I'll take it.

You've got the regular line of road shoes, then you've got the pro-fly...but what's the real difference between the Clifton and the Elevon...why should I have one or the other, should I have both...etc etc.

Some of that is because their website doesn't do a good job differentiating between the models only available in run specialty versus "big box" retailers.

I honestly think Running Warehouse does a better job explaining Hoka than Hoka does.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never find a brand website doing a good job to categorize shoes.

My solution : https://www.roadtrailrun.com

They do an excellent job testing and comparing (especially Sam) new models, and you can access the huge catalog of previous tests (just after "Home").

Just issued : a test of Elevon 2

Elevon 2 is a bit heavier and firmer than Clifton 6, with higher stack. A sort of firmer Bondi 6. Typically for heavier runner ?

Very soft : Bondi 6
Soft : Carbon X, Clifton 6, Rincon
Medium : Elevon
Relatively Hard : Mach, Carbon Rocket
Racing flat : Rehi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried a few Hokas. They were surprisingly different, none bad, but the one that stands out for my middle-age-approaching usage with my ankle arthritis that can really limit my mileage, is the Bondi 6. I think that shoe captures a lot of what Hokas are about - MAX cushion. It's really noticeable, even compared to their other plushy shoes from Hoka.

It does weigh more though, so if you aren't like me with the ankle issues, lighter shoes might work well.

In my experience ranging from full-out barefoot/ultraminimalist for 2 years, to the latest 2 years of full Bondi6 cushion, and decades of shoes in between of varying cushioning, the cushioning helps REDISTRIBUTE and SMOOTHEN joint impacts. So for me, it takes a lot of the high pounding forces that would go first to my feet and ankles mainly in minimalist/barefoot, and redistributes them with less of a maximal force spike to my knees and hips. My knees and hips are pristine, so that's great for me, but I'm not sure that would be as good for someone with knee or hip arthritis (which is apparently 10x more common than ankle arthritis.)

These cushiony shoes cannot eliminate impact - all the studies on shoe forces validate that the forces have to go somewhere, but they can move forces around away from your limiter, whether it be a joint or a muscle group that fatigues fastest.

I will add that running in the Bondi6 is an (obviously) very different experience from barefoot - with barefoot/minimalist, my achilles and calf took most of the load, to the point that my quads would almost never feel sore, even on big run days and only mildly so (but my calf/achilles needed rest.) In contrast, with Bondi6s, it's almost like cycling where my quad muscles get really sore after a big push day since the forces are moved up to the quad rather than the lower leg.

Also, in my n=1 nonscientific experience, I did notice that I had a smoother stride and better form with minimalist, since it makes you run forefoot and use a smoother stride. As well, my fastest Oly and sprint tri runs were during minimalist running; I do think from experience that the bike hits the quads, and the minimalist hits the calf, so you have less x-over fatigue off the bike, but that's just my n=1 (although it was very noticeable to me.)

It is a LOT harder to get adapted to big mileage with minimalist than cushiony. I don't think it's just a matter of background training - I think it's much easier intrinsically to get an overuse injury by pushing too hard with minimalist shoes which force you to respect the buildup rather than go hog-wild with a 18 mile run with no base.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thank you. For comparison, where does the Cavu fit into all of this? I tried a pair of Cavu's a while back on the recommendation of my local shop, and really liked them right away and have been running in them for a couple of years now. But, I have no idea where in the Hoka lineup they fall, or what else out there is comparable.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This visual helped me a ton
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's perfect! Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is good but I don't think the Rincon is on there and it is a cheaper neutral cushioned option from Hoka, personally I'm a fan after using the Clifton previously.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I snapped that pic like a year ago so it’s a bit outdated. Wish they’d have something like that on their site
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run mostly in Hoka's. I have the Carbon X's for my "race" shoes, so I don't usually run in them, as to keep miles off of them. My daily running shoe has progressed from the Hoka Cavu (Good, but not great), to the Hoka Rincon (Great, in my opinion). Before the X's, I tried out the carbon rockets for a race shoe, as they are lighter than the X's, but I'll be got dayum'd if they didn't make my legs hurt like something serious. So I returned them for the X's.In conclusion though, I can definitely see how you are confused on which Hoka to buy. They do a very bad job at classifying them.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoka is not a good company based on my experience. They don't sell insoles only and when I called service rep said why don't you buy Dr. Sole or something like that on eBay. He had no clue about running shoes and bit arrogant too. On the other hand, Newton's customer service is amazing. I wish Newton comes around and do better. Hoka One One Time to fly my ass.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what, in your opinion, makes the Rincon a better training shoe than the Cavu? I really like my Cavu's but am open to trying the Rincon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I'm curious what, in your opinion, makes the Rincon a better training shoe than the Cavu? I really like my Cavu's but am open to trying the Rincon.

For one thing, it is just over an ounce lighter, but without sacrificing softness (In my opinion). My wife got the Clifton's, and where they are good for her, I think they were TOO soft and heavy for me. I guess the Rincon was a good balance between responsiveness/lightweight and cushioning. It's all pretty subjective besides the weight stats.

- Jordan

My Strava
Last edited by: Masnart: Nov 13, 19 13:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
I guess the Rincon was a good balance between responsiveness/lightweight and cushioning.

I'd agree with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm currently running in Bondi B Redux on Mondays and Wednesdays and then Rincon's on Fridays. I have a pair of Machs that I'll break back out and then I race in the Carbon Rockets.

I guess I'm looking to see if I wanted to get Cliftons. But I've been trying to figure out the Elevon. And also if I wanted to get the Carbon Xs. But I know a bunch of people have run marathons in the Rocket+s just fine.

s13tx wrote:
Hoka is not a good company based on my experience. They don't sell insoles only and when I called service rep said why don't you buy Dr. Sole or something like that on eBay. He had no clue about running shoes and bit arrogant too. On the other hand, Newton's customer service is amazing. I wish Newton comes around and do better. Hoka One One Time to fly my ass.

What company sells insoles? Aren't insoles all sold after market? I've never known Nike, Asics, New Balance etc to sell other insoles.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 13, 19 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Awesome - thank you. For comparison, where does the Cavu fit into all of this? I tried a pair of Cavu's a while back on the recommendation of my local shop, and really liked them right away and have been running in them for a couple of years now. But, I have no idea where in the Hoka lineup they fall, or what else out there is comparable.

The Cavu is a relatively hard cushioned shoe (similar to Mach / Carbon Rocket in my classification above).

The Ricon is much softer (somewhat equivalent to Clifton 6 / Carbon X), and still very light. And efficient enough to be used by Joe Skipper in Kona (he used Carbon X in Florida).

Then, it is a matter of preference.
Personally, I can't run much with "harder" shoes. So, I'm rotating Carbon X / Rincon / Bondi 6, after also using Clifton 5.

I love the Hoka as they combine cushion (some of them) and stability (more specifically heel stability). But regularly trying others : Skecher Hyper Burst foam is really good, Saucony PWRRun look promising too.

Vaporfly / Next not heel stable enough for me. I'm expecting NB Racer and Saucony "Carbon Ward" to be as efficient and more stable.... wait and see
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

Asinine reason for badmouthing Hoka. Newton doesn’t sell insoles either.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Categories and Marketing [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pile of never used Hoka insoles because I use orthotics. You are welcome to them.
Quote Reply