Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Di2 - convince me [mr_sure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr_sure wrote:
Is what supposed to be in pink ?

the thing I quoted...

it's a "struggle" to use mech shifters? seriously? That has to be sarcasm, right?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, to use the phone app you need the bluetooth thing. As far as I know the PC app doesn't support multiple configurations, but I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can actually save presets on the PC (save to file). Not sure it also saves indexing information, but I *think* so. I will double check this.

The manual that mentions presets: https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/...HM-G-3.4.3-00-EN.pdf

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an outlier. No electronic shifting or disc brakes. No point paying a fortune for shit you don't really need. Aero and light frame...check, aero helmet...check, lose weight...check, ride your ass off...check.

I just spec'd out a new bike with everything for like $8,500. The same frame with my existing mechanical groupset and rim brakes with my existing wheels is $3,700. Hmm... That's a $5,000 difference for a bike that really isn't faster or better. I'm not going to be the bike industry's bitch, and I'll have all kinds of fun passing people on their $10,000 bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I'm an outlier. No electronic shifting or disc brakes. No point paying a fortune for shit you don't really need. Aero and light frame...check, aero helmet...check, lose weight...check, ride your ass off...check.

I just spec'd out a new bike with everything for like $8,500. The same frame with my existing mechanical groupset and rim brakes with my existing wheels is $3,700. Hmm... That's a $5,000 difference for a bike that really isn't faster or better. I'm not going to be the bike industry's bitch, and I'll have all kinds of fun passing people on their $10,000 bikes.

That's my thought process too. I'm on a very limited budget, my cash needs to go to stuff that will make a meaningful difference. I have yet to hear from anyone that electronic shifting has actually made them faster. Is it nice to have, sure. is it faster? I'm not so sure about that.

I have to think about what else that money could go towards. Di2 or a full season of masters swimming and racing, triclub membership and next year's tri entries?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 14, 19 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Could say that for anything in life though, we 'need' hardly anything really, but we 'want' lots of things for various reasons. Just because theres no need to have something doesnt mean its not nice to have, maybe just purely for fun! Whether you're at the pointy end or back of the pack makes no difference in my mind. Even if you're the slowest out on the course, why not ride a belting bike and have a blast doing it? (If you are able) ... A Ferrari doing 30mph is still a effin Ferrari! Cool

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"Heard also of the problems with etap axs with chains falling of the small front chainring."
-------------------------
I have "heard" that also but have not had that issue. It has been flawless for me.
This is an unfiltered opinion of someone paid to ride it:

Sound on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

I kind of agree with you especially with TT bikes. I race and train on mostly flat courses, brakes are almost superfluous, disc brakes are overkill. I have mechanical on my BMC TT bike and just got a BMC road bike with Dura Ace Di2, I didn’t buy it, it was a very fortunate insurance job.

Anyway I have to say after how much everyone goes on about electronic shifting, it’s pretty underwhelming... Maybe I was expecting too much, the only gear shifting issue I’ve had is when you get stuck in the wrong gear going up a hill, gears are hard to shift because too much pressure on the crank, not sure why but I assumed this would be better with electronic. It’s no different. I’m struggling to see how you can justify $2k extra for slightly quicker gear changes that still have issues.

It’s a nice to have, but not for $2k... (Aussie).
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I saw that. However, I can find bad stuff with almost all components. I have not had an issue and I love it.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It always seems to be Sram who gets bashed on for issues like this. I don't recall anyone talking about how Esteban Chaves was kicking his rear derailleur in the final Km's at the World Championships this year. Likewise, Geraint Thomas's crash at the Tour de France was, according to him, caused by his Shimano derailleur(?) getting jammed up.
Last edited by: Andres: Nov 14, 19 15:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wires is X.YZ % watts saved.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to be a dick, but I don’t think you’re actually an outlier. Even on ST. Most people at my local races are mech shifting and rim brakes. Plenty are on aluminum frames. I still enjoy life and can go fast on my old S22 with a Flo 60 front and wheelcover on the rear.

That being said, if I had the money I would get a P5 disc Ultegra DI2. Or something. Not sure how much faster it would make me per dollar spent, but I’d be happy to give it a try 😉

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
It always seems to be Sram who gets bashed on for issues like this. I don't recall anyone talking about how Esteban Chaves was kicking his rear derailleur in the final Km's at the World Championships this year. Likewise, Geraint Thomas's crash at the Tour de France was, according to him, caused by his Shimano derailleur(?) getting jammed up.
Chaves' rear derailleur was gunked up from the rain. Not entirely sure what happened with Thomas on the road.

Srams "hit" list includes:

Cancellara snapping his chain attacking on the Muur at Flanders in 2009
Andy Schleck on Port de Bales in 2010
Jonathan Vaughters ditching Sram mid season at the request of the riders and buying Shimano instead in 2012
Aqua Blue hating the 1x stuff so much they made 3T produce their bike with a front hanger last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went Di2 back in 2012 through a team deal on a road bike. I was sold. I then got a TT bike too with Di2 and that’s where I really loved it. Being able to shift from the base bar without having to reach to the aero bars was awesome. Does it have issues. Sure. I’ve trashed 2 rear derailleurs and front derailleur on my CX bike. I also had an internal Di2 battery crack, then short out when it got wet. Then again, I’ve had plenty of issues with mechanical setups. I tell people to go with what they prefer and can afford. I’m not a fan of Shimano mechanical road shifting, but love SRAM Double Tap...again that’s a personal preference.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha... forgot the pink!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you bump your derailleurs, Di2 is a set and forget system. Best shifting accuracy forever. Di2 is also more programable than Etap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked your question, and the comments it drew. I hope you report back with your ultimate decision, and provide a review of whatever you wind up riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 - convince me [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
Could say that for anything in life though, we 'need' hardly anything really, but we 'want' lots of things for various reasons.

Thats true. And even on mechanical groupsets: Why choosing an Ultegra over 105. It won't really make you faster...
So choose whatever fits to your bank account ;)

Anyway, just wondering what decision the OP made?
Quote Reply

Prev Next