Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Matt Sabal
Re: ITU Training Blog? [Matt Sabal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy to digest, consistent content. My 2c is instagram is a good starting point. Can still provide plenty of insight with the caption and also some visual stimulus with the photo. As weird as it sounds, the ‘time and effort’ for most to get on and read a blog is too much, where as a daily Instagram post is easy and will have more reach as most people will be on there regularly.

Coach at Scientific Triathlon
http://www.scientifictriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Sabal wrote:
Thinking about starting a blog with full transparency into the day to day training, schedule, and resources/financial overview of an former collegiate swimmer turned amateur triathlete attempting to transition into elite ITU racing via the USA Triathlon Collegiate Recruitment Program while working a full-time job. Would this be of interest to many of you? I want to put the info out there, but only if there's a demand/interest in the content.

I would definitely follow along.

Call me oldschool, but I really like the depth of blogs/written words instead of Instagram.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [ljkerin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, however as someone who does most if not all of their training by themselves and indoors, I'm not exactly sure what I could post pictures of on a day to day basis.
Last edited by: Matt Sabal: Nov 13, 19 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be very interested in it! Blog would work. I see your point about IG and the difficulty of getting good pics. Good luck on your journey!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would certainly be interested in following along!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I would love to read it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who focuses on Xterras, I would love to hear about the day to day training of an ITU athlete given the training demands are very similar (although not quite the same). Unfortunately, the tri world is obsessed with IM and therefor it's hard to find good quality content for those of us who have no interesting in a 9+ hour day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Sabal wrote:
Thinking about starting a blog with full transparency into the day to day training, schedule, and resources/financial overview of an former collegiate swimmer turned amateur triathlete attempting to transition into elite ITU racing via the USA Triathlon Collegiate Recruitment Program while working a full-time job. Would this be of interest to many of you? I want to put the info out there, but only if there's a demand/interest in the content.

Hey Matt, What are you tri splits like before jumping into this plan and what is the sport you are coming across from? Also saying working full time, what career are you jumping into and how many hours? Make sure you are leaving a heap of training and recovery time.

Pretty exciting times for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to read about it. Either in a blog or in a detailed instagram if that helps you to engage a wider audience
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in reading. Definitely enjoy a blog more than insta, you can put a lot more info in there as needed. My only gripe with others training blogs and reading about them is that you need to update constantly/daily, sometimes even if it's mundane. One of the biggest turn offs of a blog, to me at least, is when I go to read it and there hasn't been an update in 4 days, it's the quickest way for me not to come back in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are obviously things that I would touch on extensively in the blog, but I'm coming across from a single sport collegiate swimming background. I'm working in finance in NYC, which in and of itself is very demanding; somewhere in the ballpark of anywhere from 55-70 hour weeks are typical. Training right now falls anywhere from 12-18 hours per week. My main goal here is to challenge the idea that pursuing high levels of success in career and athletics aren't mutually exclusive pursuits. The time will come where if I really want to reach the highest level of triathlon the job would have to be put on hold, but as I have a steep development curve to climb before that's realistic, I'm going about it this way for the time being.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, continuity would be important to maintain engagement with readers and really establish the progression.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that there seems to be a skewed interest toward Ironman athletes; to some extent this makes sense to me given the shock and awe value that the large training days and long duration race provides to the general population. However, I think Ironman racing can also be a lot less engaging in terms of the variety of the training and the requirements to be competitive. As somebody who would much rather train less volume with higher intensity, and race at a high level rather than "just trying to finish" an Ironman, I personally think I can provide a more interesting perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to follow for sure. agree that there's a skewed interest to Ironman/70.3 athletes, and maybe part of it is the shock and awe of the mega training days, but I think the other factor, is that age group racing at 70.3 is pretty similar, different race dynamics, but generally similar to elite racing. Over the shorter distances, very few age groupers are racing draft legal, so the training id different and harder to relate to with ITU athletes... And agreed, if I'm given the choice to watch ITU or 70.3, I'm watching ITU every time... But I don't think there's that many people sharing a ton around their training to climb the ladder in the ITU ranks... So it might be one of those, if you build it, they will come type situations...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d subscribe instantly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Sabal wrote:
I agree that there seems to be a skewed interest toward Ironman athletes; to some extent this makes sense to me given the shock and awe value that the large training days and long duration race provides to the general population. However, I think Ironman racing can also be a lot less engaging in terms of the variety of the training and the requirements to be competitive. As somebody who would much rather train less volume with higher intensity, and race at a high level rather than "just trying to finish" an Ironman, I personally think I can provide a more interesting perspective.

That's exactly where I stand. I'm much more impressed by a "fast" sprint/Oly than a "slow" Ironman. Which is part of the reason I'm not doing an IM in 2020 and just want to focus on USAT Nationals. So yes, I would follow you in an instant!
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Over the shorter distances, very few age groupers are racing draft legal

I wish this wasn't the case. The racing is so much more interesting in draft legal racing than in IM. I would 100% race full seasons of draft legal if I could.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Training Blog? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only concern with daily or just very frequent posts is it might devolve to "Today was workout was x. I felt like x." I'm not sure how I'd keep things fresh or interesting if it was daily. Maybe a weekly post summarizing the week's block of training along with occasional posts through the week about miscellaneous thoughts might be better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely follow. I'm about to embark on a similarly time-demanding career and had almost accepted that my competitive ambitions would have to be put aside. Seeing your process juggling it would be fantastic

Weekly would probably be more sustainable.
Quote Reply