Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR wetsuits
Quote | Reply
I tried on the new Hydrosix wetsuit. It seems to fit well (snug, in a good way) and have plenty of mobility. I haven’t used it in the water. Anybody use one this past season and have an informed opinion?
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been racing in one all year and like you said great mobility, fits well and very high quality neoprene. I tested mine against a couple other brands I had around and it tested 2-3 sec/100 faster than my others. I’ve worked on my swim a ton this past 1-2 years but good equipment puts you even further up the field.
Full disclosure I am sponsored by QR :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I thought that Quintana Roo got out of the wet suit business but obviously not. Years ago I had one of the full suits and found that when put on properly it fit very well but when put on poorly, not so much.

Read this to see about putting it on properly:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...s/Wetsuit_Demo.shtml

Also, Dan wrote a similar article somewhere here on slowtwitch.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s an odd statement. Is there a suit that does fit well when not put on properly?? Or is there a brand that touts itself as the one for triathletes who put suits on improperly??

I didn’t think QR was still in that game too, but the first suit I had was QR and I’m not sure the 2019 “advanced” wetsuits are that much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received one as a promo and used it this year. This is the testimonial I sent to QR (The "improvement" was over at DeSoto T1 on the IM Canada course. The t1 is a suit that I love and had never imagined replacing):

I finally completed my first race with the HYDROsix and was thrilled with its performance. I'll let numbers and outcome do the talking: I had a 1:35 improvement in my swim over my previous average swim split on that course, and ended the day with a Kona slot. Considering the next guy in my age group finished 1:14 behind me, I was happy to have those seconds!
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that makes for good marketing lingo, but you're talking about improvement 12 months later right? Surely you became a faster swimmer in those 12 months as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair question. This was my 26th IM, so year-over-year swim gains (that would result from an extra 12mo work alone) had long since been maxed.

And I hear you on overt marketing-fwiw, I don’t have much of a history of promoting stuff on social media, here, etc (probably quite the opposite!) but this gain got my attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that it's been a year and a half, does anyone have a report on the HYDROfive? With Memorial day sales, I'm looking to pick between a Roka Comp II, HYDROfive, or BlueSeventy Sprint or Fusion.
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on the QRs? Just received an email that they're having a sale, and need a wetsuit for a May race.
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:
Any updates on the QRs? Just received an email that they're having a sale, and need a wetsuit for a May race.

i'll have a review of QR done within the week.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: QR wetsuits [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
cielo wrote:

i'll have a review of QR done within the week.

Perfect. Thanks! Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look like they have a lot of 4-5mm panelling compared to some others, at a relatively low cost. Look forward to your review
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As the OP, I’ll add that I continue to appreciate the fit and mobility of this wetsuit. However, i have an abnormal amount of chafing on the back of my neck from it. With my other suits (BlueSeventy, ROKA), that is an issue easily treated with some pre-swim lubricant on the neck. With the QR, I can’t stop it.

They told me at an expo in 2021 that they made some refinements to that (my suit is from 2019).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, did you get any info from QR about whether they did anything helpful with the back of the neck? My 2019 QR suit gives a wicked chafe on the back of my neck. It’s the only brand and suit that does that, although I otherwise really like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Dan, did you get any info from QR about whether they did anything helpful with the back of the neck? My 2019 QR suit gives a wicked chafe on the back of my neck. It’s the only brand and suit that does that, although I otherwise really like it.

i never swam in the 2019 wetsuit, so i don't know how that was different than this new one. I'll ask. in my experience, the biggest issue with wetsuit necks, in the back of the neck, is if the "hook" part of the hook and loop (velcro) is exposed to your neck. i didn't have issues with the neck in this suit. but i'll inquire.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply