Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going to Hawaii next week
Quote | Reply
Hey All, I am going to the big Island all next week. I will be staying in Volcano, HI. Got a few requests and questions.

1. Where are the best places to swim/bike/run?

2. If there are any locals reading this, do you happen to have a road bike you'd want to rent? I looked at renting a bike but the only place I found was in Kona for around $50 a day. And for 8 days that was too expensive. I just need one for a couple days.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volcano is along way from anywhere! there are some nice rides around the area, just rent a bike and get many extra tubes. The water is rough on that side of the island, I do think there is some ok swimming in HIlo.
You could do a day of triathlon in Kona? Swim the course, ride Queen K or run part of the marathon course.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [jchriss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably best not to swim the course now, most likely regular boating/fishing/cruise ship activity has resumed. It is one thing when there are 1000's swimming out there everyday, another when you are the lone swimmer. Hopefully you can find a local to rent you a bike, but you are a ways out from civilization. Maybe just rent the shop bike for a few days, and then take it back right away if you are only going to ride a few days.

You can go to just about any beach and do a nice swim, maybe black sands or around south point. I dont know the swimming around Hilo town, but has to be some good beaches there too. Keep looking for a bike for your trip though, that is some nice riding around where you are at..
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyday of the year in the AM you will find many swimmers in Kona. Volcano is really in the middle of nowhere, best bet is Hilo. Enjoy, my wife is in Kona right now the weather is perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the Big Island earlier this year. Most of the trip we stayed in the Waikaloa area but we did visit Volcano for a few days. Maybe it's better now but the air quality near Volcano (and in the nearby park) left me with a reactive cough the entire time I was on that side of the island.

As far as cycling is concerned, I did not like the roads near Volcano. There were some wide shoulders but the traffic seemed to be flying by a lot, and fast. We only did a very short ride. Running was easier because we just ran on side roads that were not on the main highway......except I coughed a lot
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see as of July Mauna Kea is closed. I'm heading there over Christmas and it was an absolute bucket list to ride that climb. Any intel on whether it can be ridden or is it well gated / strictly forbidden?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Going to Hawaii next week [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
I see as of July Mauna Kea is closed. I'm heading there over Christmas and it was an absolute bucket list to ride that climb. Any intel on whether it can be ridden or is it well gated / strictly forbidden?

Normally, you can ride or drive right on up to the top of Mauna Kea. Recently, there have been massive protesting there, and this is probably why the area has been restricted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You kinda make the "worlds hardest climb" seem easy....haha.

I've done most of the big US continental climbs and it would suuuuper suck if I missed this one. Obviously I'll do Haleakala when there too :) Following this thread for other suggestions on the big island..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
You kinda make the "worlds hardest climb" seem easy....haha.

I've done most of the big US continental climbs and it would suuuuper suck if I missed this one. Obviously I'll do Haleakala when there too :) Following this thread for other suggestions on the big island..

Ha, yeah I should not imply you'll glide right up with ease.

Are you going to Maui to ride Haleakala as well? That is a great climb. But, if you are going to be on Maui, I'd suggest starting early and doing the west loop. With an early start, you can be out there with the road all to yourself. And the views are amazing!

On the Big Island, I like to ride from Waikaloa toward Hawi. Turn right at the end of the Queen K and start climbing. It will eventually take you toward Waimea. Once you get to Waimea, start heading back toward Waikaloa but don't stop there. Keep on riding that upper road all the way to Kona, and then hop back on the Queen K to get back to Waikaloa. I think its a 95 mile loop but its awesome. Of course, you do not have to start in Waikaloa, but could start in Kona, Kawaihae, or Waimea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

Not likely. As you come towards the entrance road, there is a HUGE permanent protest camp on both sides of the roads and digital signs slowing you down with police (along with protesters) preventing anyone going up. The protesters are dug in for the long haul and have expanded their list of grievances beyond the 30 meter telescope which apparently is now going to the Canary Islands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and yes and yes! I'll be staying on the west loop of Maui so...yes! And I have ambitions of the east larger loop as well, but that might be harder to swallow as family time is a priority.

I'll check into that route on the big island so thanks!

And it's terrible about Mauna Kea. Man that sucks super bad.

Quote Reply