Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gatorade Sweat Patches
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/...ch-technology_385106

Seems like a fancy litmus test. Interesting depending on price. I hope they give actual numbers and not just vague labels like high, low, salty, etc.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade Sweat Patches [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know release date or price? A google search shows this coming up in random trade sites for over a year, yet no real information. Type the name into amazon and auto completes but doesn't return any usable results.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade Sweat Patches [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was someone on Reddit that said they tested them at Kona this year and was told the patches would be available this summer.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:

Seems like a fancy litmus test. Interesting depending on price. I hope they give actual numbers and not just vague labels like high, low, salty, etc.

Seems like a smart way of making more money without actually having to do anything really. It isn't like they are going to custom make a new Gatorade just for your needs or anything
M~
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade Sweat Patches [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
gmh39 wrote:

Seems like a smart way of making more money without actually having to do anything really. It isn't like they are going to custom make a new Gatorade just for your needs or anything
M~

Exactly. If it actually works, you could more optimally customize your Infinit order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

M~

That sounds like criticizing a smoke detector company because their product doesn't put out the fire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a presentation from Gatorade on this last month in Chicago. Still a bit of work for them to do but they have done enough testing to show the product works accurately.

Launch was said to be summer 2020 but no firm date

Pricing they hadn’t figured out yet or what the retail strategy would be.

Plan is for this to be part of something bigger for them that includes more than just hydration/nutrition products

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:

Let me get this straight: the higher concentration of sodium in your body, the higher the concentration of sodium will be in your sweat (amazing how the body self-regulates, isn't it?). So this "technology" will tell you that the more sodium you excrete, the *less* sodium you need to take in? I'm guessing that it does the opposite.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
gmh39 wrote:

. It isn't like they are going to custom make a new Gatorade just for your needs or anything
M~

Would you even want them to? Im very intrigued by this product but have no interest in using Gatorade after to replenish.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade Sweat Patches [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Let me get this straight: the higher concentration of sodium in your body, the higher the concentration of sodium will be in your sweat (amazing how the body self-regulates, isn't it?). So this "technology" will tell you that the more sodium you excrete, the *less* sodium you need to take in? I'm guessing that it does the opposite.

Depends upon what you mean by "in your body." If you mean blood sodium levels - e.g. what's really important to performance (and life), that's a relatively narrow range. But if you mean that if you eat a whole bunch of excess salt, the body will dump it out in sweat, that's true. So how and when you use the patch would be really important.

But in general, both sweat rate and seat salt concentration can vary widely between people independently of salt intake. Though not independently of conditions.

I could see it useful to know for some given race condition and given a "normal" diet where you fall as an individual on these two graphs. The difference between 0.5L/h and 5L/h or 5 mL/kg/h and 50 mL/kg/h is a full order of magnitude difference. That is possibly useful to know. I believe most of us with experience have some idea where we fall - some of us (me) end up salt encrusted in 45 minutes, and some people don't. But it's still nice to be able to somewhat objectively measure things.

Per hour point I don't think these graphs are simply measuring who just had a plate of nachos supreme and who didn't.

Last edited by: trail: Nov 13, 19 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade Sweat Patches [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I'm wondering is, if we assume that (a) our body is really good at self-regulating blood sodium levels, and (b) we have far more salt in our body that what it needs to maintain an appropriate blood sodium level, and (c) our hydration drink already contains some 'reasonable' amount of sodium and electrolytes (for argument's sake, what's currently in Gatorade Endurance, as an example), then do we really need to know our salt loss rate with any great precision and do we need to do anything differently?

This patch , to me, seems to imply that we need some great level of precision on knowing our salt loss rate. I *think* that what we really need to know is sweat rate, and that (I suspect) can be gauged far more accurately with a proper sweat test.
Quote Reply