Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strengthening Hip Flexors (and Powercranks)
Quote | Reply
For the past year plus, I have suffered from gimpy hip flexors (both sides are a problem). This has affected my running training as any time I increase my running volume or intensity, one of the little buggers flare up. This is one of the most frustrating injuries I've experienced because it takes forever to heal and then it seems to reinjure very easily.

I would like to build up to a marathon by the end of the calendar year but am not sure it is possible. I am a medium level runner (PB 5K < 19min; 10K ~39min) with a goal of possibly qualifying for Boston. I have never run the requisite training mileage for a marathon, but have built up to 18mi LSD BHF (before hip flexors).

I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have any advice about fixing the problem? I have done yoga, which is actually when I first felt the strain, have had physical therapy (which was pretty much worthless for this problem), etc.

2) I am intrigued by the promise of Powercranks to strengthen the hip flexors. My question is, has anyone injured/aggravated their hip flexors by using them? Would they be a good tool to strenghten my hip flexors or would they be too much and just reinjure them?

I would love to be able to boost my mileage and actually approach my running potential, and am sort of seeing powercranks as a potential boost (to both running and cycling). But I am also AFRAID.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Strengthening Hip Flexors (and Powercranks) [DB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few of customers have reported some problems in this regard. A couple of these are in that 0.5% that send them back in that 60 day period. Most report very positive things and only report problems with "soreness". If you are very worried about this I would stay with very low resistances and low cadences and shorter time periods in the beginning until you were comfortable with them and can start to feel the "strength" coming. It is important to avoid further injury but, if you can, then i am sure they will solve your "problem." If you are careful I am sure you will find them a benefit to you and they will not aggravate your problem.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had problems with sartorius muscle tears when I was in college...I tore the right side so bad, there was a question of whether I should have surgery. I didn't, and recovered well enough to continue playing college level football as a defensive back, i.e., I could still run plenty fast. Forward over 20 years, and PC's did make this area a little sore for about a week, but I haven't had so much as a twinge of pain there since. It's hard to say if you will find they do or don't cause you pain. That's a risk you'll have to take...just take it easy at first.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're already planning on getting PCs, great, I think it'll help over time.
The $35 version for hip flexor strength is deep water running w/Zoomers (no belt), with a high knee action and full stride. Enjoy.
b

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Lynda Wallenfels psoas/hip flexors band exercise to stretch and strengthen my hip flexors. I have ave noticed a dramatic increase in strength in just a few weeks. Strength can solve a lot of problems.

http://www.lwcoaching.com/...eningpsoasmuscle.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Strengthening Hip Flexors (and Powercranks) [DanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great suggestions! I wish I had asked sooner.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1) Does anyone have any advice about fixing the problem? I have done yoga, which is actually when I first felt the strain, have had physical therapy (which was pretty much worthless for this problem), etc.

Dave:

You should try to find a chiropractor who has been trained to perform ART. I have been treated with ART since '94 and couldn't handle my heavy training loads without it. Hip flexors, achilles tendons, IT bands, quads, hamstrings, psoas, you name it -- ART can definitely help fix it quick.

Check out http://www.activerelease.com/ and use the local provider finder to find someone local.

-Mike Llerandi
Quote Reply