Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Setting up a bit of a log for my journey of using a proper plan for triathlon this year.

Brief background: took up triathlon in ~March this year having been a rugby player but had to stop playing due to injury (27 years old), did my first Olympic distance in June and did 2:32 (Swim 29, Bike 1:12, Run 47) didn't go quite as well as it could of with a very rough sea causing my swim to be slower than I wanted and the sea water caught up with me on the run.

Training wise kind of made it up as I went along through reading online but was probably only doing 4-5 hours training on average a week.

Since that tri managed to drop my open 5k to 19:48 and 10k to 42:30 (only actually raced 5k and 10k once) on 3 runs a week averaging 16-18km per week so pretty low volume from what I can tell reading the forum. Still also weigh too much for triathlon coming in at ~97kg at 1.87m so may look to drop 90kg for next year.

Starting off on a 80/20 olympic plan to see how much I can improve with proper training and some higher volume (9-12 hours weekly)

Will update every few days as I go along.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [tome92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Day done

Morning 50 minute Zone 1 pace run

Evening Swim session 1850m (250m w/u, 400m test, 200m test, 1000m easy)

CSS 1:41 min/100m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you start a blog? That's what they're for.

They're free at blogger.com

Post your stuff there and ask questions about it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you using 80/20 endurance?

if so you'll be happy with your results. i just finished up a 70.3 plan with subsequent race and was happy with my results. i just started up another round for a 70.3 in april.

having structure and guidance is awesome. you're going to love it. the key you need to keep in your mind is this... stick to the plan!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the support, yes it is 80/20 endurance I am hoping to do similar in terms of going through this plan which takes me to Mid March when I have a duathlon I want to do, then pretty much repeating most of it to take me into my big race in the summer.

How much of an improvement did you find you made for each discipline ?

I am hoping to get close to a 2:15 Olympic in Mid July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t want to bog down your thread with a reply... feel free to go check out my thread i created to document the entire plan from start to finish.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6949691

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I haven't had a Triathlon race come up yet, but I can say that following a Triathlon specific 80/20endurance plan, I dropped my half marathon time from 1:36 to 1:29 in just 3 months time. Cycling FTP has gone up 10-15watts in about 4 months time so far. Will be focusing on that more in the upcoming Jan-Apr timeframe. The stuff is working for me.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is good to hear congratulations on going sub 1:30 too that is awesome!

I am hoping for fairly good result just from following a higher volume structure plan anyway but also based off all stephen seiler's research, sounds like 80/20 style should allow for closer to optimal results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tome92 wrote:
That is good to hear congratulations on going sub 1:30 too that is awesome!

I am hoping for fairly good result just from following a higher volume structure plan anyway but also based off all stephen seiler's research, sounds like 80/20 style should allow for closer to optimal results.

Thanks. I personally think that the intensity work on the bike carries over very well to improve running economy at faster paces. As well as saving your legs from doing that intensity as a running exercise.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 days in feeling good seeing as this for me is high run volume (34.2km done over 3 runs).

3 runs, 2 cycles and 2 swim done so far and body feeling all good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is 80/20endurance.com down for everyone else? Maybe it's regional?
Super pissed I can't access the website with the workout library (did recently move to Japan).

EDIT: eh, just used a VPN and can access the site. Can't open it from a Japanese ip...which is lame.

Did 80/20 and made significant gains with no overtraining/injuries this year. Good luck.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Nov 14, 19 1:40
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've started an Oly 80/20 plan and have really enjoyed my training. I'm guessing that I am misunderstanding the whole heart rate zone thing, because the calculator has my running and cycling Z1 so low that I can't meet that level unless I am walking, and slowly at that. All the other levels seem to be reasonable to me. Is there an adjustment I need to make, or do I really have to be walking during Z1 segments?
Quote Reply
Re: 80/20 Olympic Distance Training Plan Log [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me I did Pace for running so my Zones are based off threshold speed.

http://8020endurance.com/8020-zone-calculator/

I think it just depends how much endurance work you have done previously you will probably see your run pace increase quite quickly for a given heart rate range as you keep going with the plan but I have heard lots say they had to do quite a bit of jog walk jog walk style running to keep in zone 1 at the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tome92 wrote:
For me I did Pace for running so my Zones are based off threshold speed.

http://8020endurance.com/8020-zone-calculator/

I think it just depends how much endurance work you have done previously you will probably see your run pace increase quite quickly for a given heart rate range as you keep going with the plan but I have heard lots say they had to do quite a bit of jog walk jog walk style running to keep in zone 1 at the start.

Thank you! I'm 72 and in pretty decent shape for an old fart, and it looks like the pace ranges would definitely work better for me. When I tried to set this up in the User Settings for my Garmin 935 it only gives me options for setting heart rate zones or power zones. Any idea if there is a way to input the training pace zones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure I am afraid, I just remember what the target zones are for the session off my training peaks diary and do it that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue but switched to Run Pace and found that my “goal” HR fell in line pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week 1: Good first week, body feels good.

All the session felt good, only bit that's weird is trying to increase pace for the intervals on runs as use to doing them from a standstill (eg: 4 mins fast, 2 min standing rest x 4) instead of jogging for recovery but hit all the right paces.

Very happy with how i appear to have handle the volume so far as it is step up from what I have done before.

Bring on week 2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week 2

Feeling good.

Long run was far for me almost 16km which is furthest i've run in a session before, hoping it will really push up my endurance and strength when going faster in 5 and 10ks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Onto Week 3 which is a recovery week so volume is down from ~10.5hrs to ~7.5hrs:

Did the 2nd swim session of the week which involved re testing my zones doing the CSS test

Pleased to see a big drop from the first test 2.5 weeks ago:

1st Test 400m = 6min 38
200m = 3 mins 17

Today's test 400m = 6min 01
200m = 2 mins 56

A lot of this is just regaining my swimming fitness after a couple of months off swimming but the 400m is my quickest in the pool previous was 6mins 7 second, 200m is a little bit off previous of 2 minutes 52 seconds but this time i only had 2 minutes rest between tests whereas when i did it previously i took a lot longer.

Very happy with how it is all going so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 weeks done, redid FTP and it was 305 Watts which is up from 269 watts 6 and a bit weeks ago.

Pretty pleased with that some of it may be due to not knowing how hard to push on first test but definitely a big improvement done the less and even managed second half of the test at a higher power than first half.

Swimming feeling good will update when re test my 200m, 400m tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st Test 400m = 6min 38
200m = 3 mins 17

2nd test 400m = 6min 01
200m = 2 mins 56

Today's test 400m = 5min 54 seconds
200m = 2 mins 56

Very happy to go under 6 minutes for 400m but poor pacing from looking at data did the first 200m of the 400m test in 2 minutes 47 seconds which i think cost me in the 200m test after as only 2 minute rest between tests.
Quote Reply