Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [gb45] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense, IM had a post on IG the other day with the locations of all the new races and an paper airplane over the state of Washington. The caption was something along the line of "where next"

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI - looks like announcement is tomorrow:

"Can you guess where we're going next? Find out tomorrow!"

https://twitter.com/...793463428005888?s=20
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [seattlejp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep... there is a gathering at 5pm PST tonight for the official announcement. Very exciting to have an MDot race back to western Washington. 😬

Quote | Reply
https://www.endurancesportswire.com/...an-70-3-destination/

Looks like it's going to be a great race centered around Lake Wilderness Park. However, people are likely to be divided between choosing this and 70.3 Santa Cruz the week before

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know when they’re releasing more info on the course, accommodations, parking shuttles etc? Based on the other thread re accommodations it sounds like we are looking to stay 30+ min away. I am looking at either this race or the Best in the West 70.3 on Sept 12, which coming from Portland I have done as a day trip. But I would be interested in trying something new, especially if a full IM is hosted in Maple Valley in the next few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Best in the West a couple of years and I would still target it versus Maple Valley simply because of the proximity to Portland as well as the fact that lodging for Maple Valley is limited. Staying 30+ minutes away from a race unless you live in the area is PIA hence my issue with Penticton (there is no where to stay close by). If WTC decides to host a full IM at a different time of year (i.e.) closer to August versus September then I would take another look at it. I've been asking for years why WTC doesn't do a race in Bend. Their answer is the lessons learned from the Leadmen events years ago (I think that the events were too much fun).

Best in the West is a great event. The only thing I dislike are the dogs that chase you when you are riding otherwise the course is super hilly and scenic. The run is really nice as it is mostly shaded.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found an Airbnb for the weekend about 10 minutes away.... you might take a look at that vs. a hotel.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [Doubravsky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just grabbed a room at the Garden in there in Renton. It's 10 miles from from Maple VAlley and where i've stayed to do black diamond before. It's not a bad drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply- agree with you that Best in the West is a great event. Just seeing if there is some compelling reason to do Maple Valley instead this year :)

Interesting re Bend, I have always wondered why they didn’t have more tri events. Unfortunately I can’t make it to Pacific Crest in Sunriver this year, always enjoy getting over there.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Washington-Maple Valley [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure about the answer to my question. After countless times of trying to corner one of the WTC guys at an event (Boulder 70.3, I believe) I finally managed to do it. The argument they used to not have a race in Bend was the Leadmen race, as proof that a race held in Bend would never sell out. It so happened that when Lifetime pulled its sponsorship from that race that year the weather was fairly miserable. It was raining in the morning and then hailing as you rode over the pass from Mt Bachelor. The only people smiling were Canadians. They thought it was warm outside. More than half the field DNF'ed. I did finish but had severe hypothermia and spent a few hours in the med tent at the finish line. My argument was to hold the race in early September. The weather has a chance of shifting to Fall in late September and early October in Bend. Anyway we argued back and forth but to no avail. The first couple of years of Leadmen Bend were magical. A non IM branded race with great scenery and interesting distances. The course favored strong swimmers and really strong cyclists. The run was short but hilly. When I eventually did Best in the West I thought it was pretty close to Leadmen Bend only without the magic of being in Bend. Sweet Home, OR is...an interesting place. I always do 70.3 CdA so haven't ever competed at Pacific Crest in Sunriver but have heard great things.

Slowman is always bringing up the subject of a gravel triathlon. That eastern side of OR would be an amazing venue. Eric has already highlighted some of those possibilities with Overland but still so many different options...yes..dreaming of warm sun and the smell of pine needles :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next