Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prostate friendly bike seats?
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Getting ready to bulk up training for a 70.3 next summer. I had to scratch my last 70.3 because of prostate swelling (turns out benign) and elevated PSA which required biopsy. Prostate is still enlarged and I do everything I can to stave off negative effects of that.

I am somewhat worried what will happen when I ramp up the bike work. I am wondering whether there exists any bike seats that are engineered with an angry prostate in mind.

Any info is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate friendly bike seats? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What saddle are you using now?
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate friendly bike seats? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using the stock saddle that came on my Kestrel Talon. It worked for me in the past (prior to these issues) but I am wondering if the design world has come up with something better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Split nose saddles should help.

I ride an older model ISM on all my bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having issues staying on the trainer for more than an hour last winter... not necessarily prostate issues, but the same general area. I tried an Infinity saddle and was able to ride 2+ hours on my first ride without issues. It’s definitely pricey, but I figured that if my manly bits weren’t actually touching anything there wouldn’t be any pain and it seems to have worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not familiar with the stock saddle that came on your Kestrel. What is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably ISM. If it is aggravating you mid ride, you might want to do some stand up interval sprints and mix it up.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate friendly bike seats? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I am not familiar with the stock saddle that came on your Kestrel. What is it?
Oval Concepts 300. Not a high-end saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of saddles have cutouts to relieve pressure in that area (ex. Specialized Power saddle). Split nose saddles are the more advanced/extreme version (ISM, Dash, etc.) and are great for aero positions.

Personally, I have an ISM PN1.1 and love it. As with all saddles ymmv, but looking at the ISM line is a great place to start.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen the bisaddle? Its is fully adjustable. The front and rear widths can be adjusted independently and there are wedges to change the angles of the two sides. I am sure that you could adjust it to keep your prostate happier! I have been very impressed with mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading your post made me stop and think how nice it is not to have any prostate issues with bike saddles. I still get the occasional saddle sore when I bump my mileage but zero prostate issues.Just celebrated my 3 year prostate cancer free anniversary last week! Seven more years and I'll confirm the 98% 10 year survival rate that is quoted for surgery :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to an ISM saddle and it helped with my prostate issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of the short nose TT specific saddle should help get into position... but they are a little bit of an acquired taste, and they definitely change your fit.

I was not a big fan of ISM, Fizik Tritone was ok, really the specialized sietero.... very personal choice.

Most shops / brands have trial programs, try a bunch. Just remember to move you seat up and back (and get a good fit once you have picked one)
Quote Reply
Re: Prostate friendly bike seats? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ56 wrote:
Reading your post made me stop and think how nice it is not to have any prostate issues with bike saddles. I still get the occasional saddle sore when I bump my mileage but zero prostate issues.Just celebrated my 3 year prostate cancer free anniversary last week! Seven more years and I'll confirm the 98% 10 year survival rate that is quoted for surgery :)
Congrats to you for the success of your recent anniversary, Thanks for replying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all who have replied. I have some stuff to research now.

The LBS that sold me my bike and had a nice saddle trial program has gone out of business. I have to find a new shop that has a good selection of saddles and allows trial periods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cobb Randee saddle was recommended by the folks at Cobb (now I think it is "speed and comfort") after I had issues with 4 other saddles. It hit the bullseye. no prostate issues. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good results for riders with prostate issues with a few saddles, including the ISM PL series, ISM PR series, V-O2 e-Volve 2.2, and WTB Koda. Don't write off the women's models, either.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had great luck with the JOF 55, haven’t tried the updated version. Now have a Specialized Shiv and ride the stock Sitero without issues.
Quote Reply