Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toronto run group? Speedy older guys?
Quote | Reply
So my brother in Victoria has hooked up with a group of "speedy old guys" that he joins for structured workouts on Saturdays, and I'm worried/pretty sure that it's the secret weapon that is going to make him faster than me.

I'm looking for the same kinda thing in Toronto, weekends. Any pointers?
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto run group? Speedy older guys? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Athletics Ontario has a listing on their site about all the sanctioned clubs in the province - https://athleticsontario.ca/clubs/ That may be a good place to start.

Keep in mind that there is an ebb and flow in the year with Club Level runners of what they are focusing on, and also, from my experience - weekend runs tend to be the time for longer runs or tempo runs, and not for interval type of training.

That being said - training with athletes who are just that much better then you, is never a bad thing. Pushes and pulls you along at a higher performance level.

Years ago when I started in triathlon I came from a high-performance running back ground and I maintained, my involvement with training with real runners throughout my time in triathlon - generally I would do the interval workouts and tempo sessions with a group of good runners and my long runs on my own.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in Toronto and while I’m mostly just playing around lately I can be persuaded to do some structured weekend work.
I am not sure if I fit the ‘speedy old guy’ criteria but feel free to shoot me a message to connect.

--------------------------------------------------------
machines don't win races, muscles do.
Quote Reply
Re: Toronto run group? Speedy older guys? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My buddy Alistair coaches MB Performance - they are an elite run group and you have be faster than x to join, but I can't remember off hand the cut off times. Alistair is in his 50s.

https://www.facebook.com/runmbp/

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fast do you tempo run? Plenty of clubs with structured group run workouts in TO, specially in the downtown area, Black Toe, Marathon Dynamics, Longboat. Not much going on in the burbs up north..as far as I know. Keep in mind that plenty of solid athletes train by themselves but it helps mentally to have some partners in crime during tough workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
So my brother in Victoria has hooked up with a group of "speedy old guys" that he joins for structured workouts on Saturdays, and I'm worried/pretty sure that it's the secret weapon that is going to make him faster than me.

I'm looking for the same kinda thing in Toronto, weekends. Any pointers?

Honest, I'm on your side, but I'm moving to Victoria in a few months-could you please share with whom your brother is training? Is it the PIH group?

In closing, my brother is also a pain in the arse.
Quote Reply