Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why fastest TT wheels setups (almost) never used in Triathlon ?
Quote | Reply
I'm asking myself why rear discs and front trispoke wheels are the norm in Pro cycling for TT, but almost never used in triathlon ?
Something I'm missing ?
Is there something else besides comfort, thus eventually fatigue, for strong winds events coming from the sides ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Why fastest TT wheels setups (almost) never used in Triathlon ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what races are you watching? Disc wheels are a staple of most Triathlons now

Front Tri spokes are hit/miss... for a long time that type of wheel was mostly abandoned , however most people are running a deep wheel up front however with a disc in the rear
Quote Reply
Re: Why fastest TT wheels setups (almost) never used in Triathlon ? [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The yaw angle that most pro TT riders are racing at is IMO "almost effectively zero".

All the fancy expensive front wheels for tri are based around a slower speed and larger yaw angle. Notice the advertising even, all their charts and stuff show these huge dips in drag at what they consider the most common yaw angles for their buyers.

Put simply, you don't buy a Shimano Pro trispoke so you can average 22 mph to 25mph in a triathlon.

You buy one (or your team hands you one) because you're going to spend a vast majority of your ride OVER 30mph. If pros in TT's average 30mph, they're going over that for long periods of time. Rohan Dennis avg'd 31mph in 2018 at Innsbruck, including the "climb" near the end. Meaning, over the rest of the course, he was over 31.

That's why.
Quote Reply