Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inline skates, rollerblade commuting
Quote | Reply
Had this wicked need to skate so dug out my inlines and have been zooming around.
Then I thought, well technically I could commute upright, vs being seated like on the bike.

An employee needed the car this afternoon & had the blades with me, so I am commuting the bike lanes on 'em.

I feel more vulnerable on blades, but it's really not that much different than a bike. No bell which is a problem, and lousy braking! Speed-wise I am a slow cyclist.

Curious if others have urban skated and if larger wheels may be better? I am on 78mm wheels, soft boot Roller blades. Helmet lights F&R.

Could a senior AG win Kona if you swapped the run for inlines? My rough calcs = no

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Inline skates, rollerblade commuting [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the trail tucked in on my tri bike cruising along at 20 mph when a guy in his 60's passed me on inline skates. He was probably on 110mm wheels but he had great power and looked good. I told him he was doing 20 and he seemed pleased with that.

I skate prior to ski season but I really suck and I'm afraid of the consequences if I fall so I scuttle around like the old man that I am. Would love to get good at it but I don't have the discipline to learn.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commuted to grad school on skates once. I hit some gravel which stopped the skate and I felt like a rock star after landing cleanly on my other foot and skating away w/o eating concrete. I was on sidewalks, but had to cross several intersections.

I've used speed skates in a bike lane. Was able to hit 17 mph no problem. But my concern over a car potentially pulling in front of me kept me nervous enough that it wasn't as fun as it should have been. I'll have to pull them out of the attic, I don't remember the wheel size - just that there are long skates (5 wheels, I think). My regular fitness in-line skates are shorter and I think have 80 mm wheels; they take solid effort to hit 17 mph but the bearings could probably use some maintenance.

If you can execute a hockey stop, that may be your best bet for commuting (though it'll eat up your wheels) The rear brake just doesn't really provide for quick stops. In traffic or at elevated speeds, I'd also definitely suggest wearing wrist guards...

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to inline speed skate often. Eventually, got a road bike to cross train, which led to triathlon and more cycling. Back in the mid to late 90s, I was on my skates at least 3 to 5 days a week, logging lots of miles and doing inline road races that typically were incorporated with running events, from 5K to marathon distance. The problem with skating, in my opinion, is that you are much more sensitive to road surface conditions on skates than on a bike or running shoes. I would only skate in certain locations where I knew there was decent pavement. That being said, once you reach a certain comfort level with your skating and stopping abilities, there is no problem skating in the bike lane, drafting cyclists, and executing a slingshot pass when they tire after trying to drop me ;) These days, I'm older and more risk averse, so I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable commuting by skates unless there were decently quiet and smooth roads, or a multiuse path, available.
Quote Reply