Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sleeves are the L/XL and are 28.5cm.

I’m 5’8” (30.5” inseam), but went with the larger size after talking with Velotoze since the sizing difference is length only, not girth.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh very interesting, thanks. I'm a similar height.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know! I see pros where them (calf guards). Do you have link to studies or in which ones do you think were fastest?

Someone else mentioned wife doesn’t like shaved legs. Same here when prickly next few days, but more so looking at a way to avoid putting on socks in transition and still get aero gains as I can just start the swim with these. Haha playing catch up here but excited to try it!

Are the arm sleeves an advantage too? That or tempted to try swimming with long sleeve cycling speed suit 😅

https://www.strava.com/athletes/pmadjarov
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [pmadjarov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tested Velotoze, HUUB version 1.0 and HUUB version 2.0 on myself on the Velodrome.

Compared to freshly shaved legs - I tested 8 watts faster with Velotoze, 10 watts with HUUB v. 1 and 12 watts with HUUB v. 2.

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:
I've tested Velotoze, HUUB version 1.0 and HUUB version 2.0 on myself on the Velodrome.

Compared to freshly shaved legs - I tested 8 watts faster with Velotoze, 10 watts with HUUB v. 1 and 12 watts with HUUB v. 2.
By HUUB v1 and v2 do you mean Standard and 3:16?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeepers £158!!! Still cheaper than a disc I guess if the claims are even half accurate...
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Handful?...... my understanding is that they a hair faster than bare, even shaven, calves.

Not my understanding, not at all, from all the testing I've done with them on numerous triathletes & cyclists

Mind you, I've also been told two anecdotes now of the mounting hardware for bikes in the wind tunnel potentially influencing overshoe and sock test data specifically. I'm certainly not disagreeing with you but this is one of those products I'd corroborate in the field.
Last edited by: UK Gearmuncher: May 21, 23 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes :) Standard and 3:16

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:
Yes :) Standard and 3:16
What's the difference in material/construction that makes the 3:16 faster, besides looking as ugly as sin?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The standard is just one piece of fabric and the 3:16 is 2 pieces with an inner and outer piece :)

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:

Just to show how crazy and individual aero stuff can be.
With Wattshop on a velodrome we tested bare legs, Nopinz trip strip guards & Huub Standard guards.
On me the bare legs & Huub Standard came out the same. but the Nopinz gaurds were 5w slower.
Odd results for sure, would love to retest for sure.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - it's crazy.

Small things can make HUGE gains and big changes means nothing!
I was telling myself before the test that I had a pretty good eye for aero stuff, no I know that I know NOTHING at all!

---
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:

On me the bare legs & Huub Standard came out the same. but the Nopinz gaurds were 5w slower.
Odd results for sure, would love to retest for sure.

I've never met a pair of aero socks or calf sleeves that were faster than bare legs for me. N=10+

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry dumb question but seriously wondering if partially shaved legs (leaving a strip of hair) is faster, or if this is an April fools joke? Think I’ve seen something else similar.

Has anyone actually tried this and quantified a difference? Thanks!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/pmadjarov
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pmadjarov wrote:
Sorry dumb question but seriously wondering if partially shaved legs (leaving a strip of hair) is faster, or if this is an April fools joke? Think I’ve seen something else similar.

If you watch some of Victor Campenaerts YouTube content. I’m sure he mentions somewhere about shaving 2-3 days before an event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can some of you learned aerodynamic types help me understand why in car racing for example they want the surfaces to be as smooth as possible, yet in cycling they want to create dirty air through ribbing etc?

Doesn't make sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Can some of you learned aerodynamic types help me understand why in car racing for example they want the surfaces to be as smooth as possible, yet in cycling they want to create dirty air through ribbing etc?

Doesn't make sense?

Because a car is designed to move through the air efficiently whereas a human body is an awful (bluff) shape (aerodynamically speaking) so we have to make the air get round us as best we can by manipulating its flow.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does making air more turbulent (and creating drag?) manipulate its flow?

Why then aren't frames, helmets, wheels etc also made to be turbulent? Seems to defy logic for a layman..
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Calf Gaurds [Davebev89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a test using CEP calve gaurds (do not know if they have them in the USA).

3 runs:
200W 21‘07“ minutes; 36,5 km/h. Shaved legs no guards; quick release levers on the left.
201W 21‘23“ minutes; 36,0 km/h. Guards; quick release levers on the left.
200W 21‘09“ minutes;36,5 km/h. Guards; quick release levers on the right.

If the testing was correct, you could conclude that the calve guards causes a 0,5 km/h speed reduction
and the change of the quick release leavers to the right a 0,5 km/h speed increase.

I do not believe that myself, and think it is just very difficult to repeat a test run in exactly the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pmadjarov wrote:

Yes they have tried it.
https://www.welovecycling.com/...rick-make-go-faster/
Quote Reply

Prev Next