Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

base training bike
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone !
Just wondering how to build my bike base during winter with 3 bike rides.
I run 3-5 times a week, with two key sessions (1 short intervals or hill reps and 1 specific intervals for the races I do during the winter 10k-21k or XC) and 1 long run.
I swim twice per week in master group.

I don't know what to do on the bike with 3 rides.
Do you think it will be better to do 2 sweetspot/1 long ride or 1 tempo/1 vo2/1 long ride ? I will do a lot of those sessions in XC skiing during winter, with some long XC races (42-75km).

Thanks a lot
Ivan
Quote Reply
Re: base training bike [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1 VO2 max, 1 Sweet Spot. 3rd one could be any number of things from a sprint workout to a long Z1/2 ride, depending on your objectives and available time. When in doubt, and/or when time is limited (as it seems it may be, given your full schedule of other activities), more Sweet Spot is a good default option, especially in the off season, base-building phase.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 7, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your current bike training look like over the last 3 months or so?
What tri-race distance are you targetting next year?

If you've been riding a reasonable amount over the last several months, then I prefer to focus on SS/Threshold, and vo2 during the winter. I put off the longer slower stuff until its warmer outside. In fact, last winter I actually only rode about every other week (basically just whenever it was nice enough out to go longer), and just focussed on swimming and running. When I went back to 4-5x bike, I'd lost about 10 watts FTP. Within 6 weeks I bested my prior-year, end-of-season FTP by 10 watts and went up from there.

Even in that case, "longer" was a max of 2 hours with lots of temp and threshold, and some all-out 30x30s stuff. I also really like max-effort seated sprints from a standstill. I don't know how/why they work...but, for me these really seem to do "something". Its like they recalibrate your brain/legs to what truly HARD push/pull feels like at super low RPM.

But, I think that type of approach works specifically between years when you already have a high level of fitness, rather than when you might be starting out. Hence my preamble questions.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 7, 19 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: base training bike [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answer
Don't you think 1 interval and 1 hill session on the run 2 master swim class and 2-3 rides with SS/threshold and vo2 will be too much intensity ?

If not, I think I'll do 1 SS, 1 vo2, and 1 Velocity/sprint short session that will be a long session on the skis when the snow will come.
Thanks !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While taking the suggestions the gp and th made...since you already have a somewhat difficult plan, I would just add 3 easy rides a week for a few weeks (4-6), see how you feel, then replace an easy ride with one of the rides mentioned earlier.

After that see how you feel and replace another easy ride with one mentioned earlier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Hi everyone !
Just wondering how to build my bike base during winter with 3 bike rides.

Ivan

There is not one simple answer. Your base training plan should depend on where you are in your season (months to next event) > your training goals > and your hours to train. We put all these in a free calculator which will plan your season here: https://fft.tips/tpp (you can also use it with our time-in-zone calculator is you want https://fft.tips/tiz

hope that helps

bw

Alex
Last edited by: FastFitnessTips: Nov 8, 19 4:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Thanks for the answer
Don't you think 1 interval and 1 hill session on the run 2 master swim class and 2-3 rides with SS/threshold and vo2 will be too much intensity ?

If not, I think I'll do 1 SS, 1 vo2, and 1 Velocity/sprint short session that will be a long session on the skis when the snow will come.
Thanks !

Well....you didn't answer my question about your current training state, and goals for next year. My response would really be dependant upon that. Short course? Long course? Early or late season? etc...

But, no not really...then again, I run every single day. I find that I can do Bike-SS work almost anytime. Its not until I get above SS that I find recovery state matters much. In my typical Tri schedule I will schedule SS-Bike on the same day as a harder run (lunch tempo-run, evening bike SST). The next day would then be easy run, and probably zero bike.

Jaret's suggesting is a good start though, without more information. And if you said that you haven't been riding much, I'd say the same thing, anyway. if you've been riding a lot, and are already pretty fit on the bike....then that gives you other options, like I aluded to above.
Quote Reply
Re: base training bike [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Don't have powermeter to situate my level on the bike. Last season I was in good shape, this season was a disaster with a big winter on the trainer (sweetspot twice per Week+1long ride on the bike or xc ski 3-5h) and XCski long races.

I ended the winter KO, and two bad tri races (olympics). Last this I could swim in the 40%, end the bike in the 15% and the overall race in the 10%.

I run around 37' standalone 10k
Quote Reply