Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly run training
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, I am wondering what kind of run workouts people typically do each week for triathlon training. I am currently running about 3-4 times per week with one of these being a long run and one being a fast interval session and short brick session. I have been reading up on run training and talking to some friends who have trained for marathons. One thing I hear quite often is that I should be running slow a lot of the time...aka 'train slow race fast'. This makes sense as my body doesn't take as much of a beating and allows me to recover faster and be able to run more frequently. However I have also read that I should be doing weekly hill repeat sessions and harder interval sets above race pace at least once per week. So I wanted to ask what your typical weekly run training looks like? Obviously the amount of distance will vary depending on what type of races you are training for but what is a general guideline that you like to use? I appreciate any feedback.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly run training [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race distances are you training for?

Regardless 3x is very minimal.

I generally run 5-6x. Mostly easy for tri. Sometimes hills. Occasionally fast. How much depends on race distance.

A bit different when I'm training for open running, like now.

Like many people here I subscribe to what's known as the BarryP method. It's described in three parts here :

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=1612485

Phase 1 is lots of frequent, easy runs.
Phase 2 adds a tempo or threshold run.
Phase 3 adds an interval run of some type depending on race target.

Many people forget that there's three phases to Barry's approach. But, phase 3 can add lots of threshold and speed for shorter races and open running races.

It can take a while to digest it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly run training [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll normally run up to 2 quality sessions and the rest are easy.

Long run=quality session
Fast intervals=quality session
Hill Repeats=quality session
Fast Longer brick=quality session

If I was only running I might do up to 3 quality sessions but with biking and swimming I can't handle any more.
Quote Reply